shift linkage?

hi guys,
a buddy and i just got a chenowth single seat 9 car. i've done some searching on RDC, and i'm needing help with shift linkage. do i just use straight tube with a few heims for support and u-joints or does anyone have a better idea. i"m used to 2 seater buggys, so the single seat shifting is just a tad diffrent. if you have some photos that would be great.....thanks, Rick :confused::confused::confused:

Shred918

I can take a couple shots of mine when I get back on Tuesday. Mine runs down the side of the car then cuts straight over to the transmission.

I have also seen them just use u joints and then get run under the seat/ fuel cell. Its just a matter of choice.

ryno_racing

Rick, thanks for asking this question i was still unsure if what we talked about is going to work, oh by the way this is Ryan....i finally got a sign-on. Shred appreciate you taking the pics for us, hopefully it is close to what we had in mind.

Shred918

I will get the pics posted by Saturday at the latest.... sorry for the delay on this but life or should I say "wife" got in the way of me working on the car.

ryno_racing

thanks shred, this is the second party involved in the car, if you wouldnt mind i would also like to see your car for some ideas on other aspects. We are starting with a chassis only(it does have motor and transaxle), so we will probably need some ideas else-ware.

Shred918

ryno_racing

yeah i just read that thread, what you have been through is exactly what i am going through now! lots of work and long nights in the shop...when the wife and 8 month old will let me. your car is lothringer? i got an older chenowth single seater, but very similar looking. thanks for your help on the pics, i am used to working on a class 8 truck which is really different than this. hopefully we will be racing with you next year, if i get the darn thing done.

badger999

We used tubing with u- joints for a race or two , then we went to a device my partner had for single seat cars , its a plate with acouple rods with hiems that make the offset, not sure who makes it , but it works great,once you figure out how to adjust it in .

ryno_racing

that is already on the car and really it looks like a huge pain in the a** to get it exactly right, secondly i am probably going to have to move the seat back almost to the point where that plate is mounted which might cause issues as well. Did the system with the u-joints not work, or was this just smoother?

Shred918

yeah i just read that thread, what you have been through is exactly what i am going through now! lots of work and long nights in the shop...when the wife and 8 month old will let me. your car is lothringer? i got an older chenowth single seater, but very similar looking. thanks for your help on the pics, i am used to working on a class 8 truck which is really different than this. hopefully we will be racing with you next year, if i get the darn thing done.
From what I have been told my car was built by an autoshop teacher in Barstow and then wnet through a couple owners\ changes. I didnt feel safe with the configuration of the cab so I went balistic with my cutting wheels. I ended up taking this way further than I thought I would but should be happy with the end result. Just need a better motor and my car should be really competitive..... with another driver that is. :D

oldman dirt

We used tubing with u- joints for a race or two , then we went to a device my partner had for single seat cars , its a plate with acouple rods with hiems that make the offset, not sure who makes it , but it works great,once you figure out how to adjust it in .
sounds like a JAMAR side shifter set up

badger999

The side shifter is definately worth the extra effort in adjusting, vs , the u-joint system, in my opinion.it amazed me , how much the moving parts wear. With regular miantenance , ours is going on its 4th season on this car, and still shifting great. And thats with a stock shifter

ryno_racing

badger do you by chance have a picture of the mounting location and the way that your plate is set up? i have a stock shifter as well and if i could get four years out of it that would be great, as you know class 9 is "budget";) racing and i really dont want to be replacing multiple parts year after year or race after race.

badger999

I'll try and post something for you, my budget these days , is a shoestring and i still plan on being at every race, just don't make it to them all, and not because i didn't try .!!!