• Forum membership has its advantages....

shock boots?

jgbjgb

Who does have and who does not have shock boots and why?

I am not running shock boots at this time but I would hate to see my $1600 SAW rear shocks get damged by flung stones (pits in the pistons).

jgbjgb

So the 20+ viewers of this post have new state of the art, high tech shockless suspension systems? And therefore have no need for shock boots or have an opinion for or against shock boots? :D

miguelitro

shock boots can protect.
shock boots can trap dirt and grime leading to wear and corrosion.
take your pick

jrtorres

Like he said shock boots can trap dirt and sand, but having said that, they if properly fittet, will keep most of the desert out and still protect from bigger things like rocks from roost and the like. I personally run them, and the Agave Motorsports protruck i worked on ran them, and most of the time the Statts protruck ran them, so i say use them.

dezertdude

I only run em on the rear where stuff gets flung around more. Coilovers dont really need em, the coils a built in shaft protector.

NIKAL

We have never used them on our prerunners or race car. I have been told that by using a shock boot it does not let air get to the shafts and your shocks will run hotter.

Random Thoughts Racing

The longer the travel the more distorted the boots get at full compression. Rubber boots and hot shock shafts = melted boots. I do often see them on Protrucks but those shocks only cycle about 12-13" of the 17" available.

dezertdude

Ive got my rear 14" shocks so hot during a desert race you could not put your hand on them at ALL without getting burned. Never melted a boot. You gotta use the motorcylce boots and zip tie them on so they dont compress more then they have too.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Ive got my rear 14" shocks so hot during a desert race you could not put your hand on them at ALL without getting burned. Never melted a boot. You gotta use the motorcylce boots and zip tie them on so they dont compress more then they have too.
race shocks will run 300 degreesF all day long...dont touch them.

jamminjeff10

Dirt Bagz makes some nice coil covers, cheap protection. Run your by-pass behind the coil over and you should be ok. On our short course trucks, we run a sheild half way down the lower 4-link to deflect roost from other trucks and the front tires.

Boots can work good on by-passes, but you will need to pull them off regularly and clean everything. They can also hold more moisture and condensation.

I prefer to run no boots and use other forms of protection.

http://www.dirtbagz.com/db_main_pages/db_main.htm

PSWPete

I hope no one minds, but I pulled these out of one of the Baja 500 Threads as an example. Front shocks will get hit with rocks. While this is an extreme example, the smaller ones do the damage. Any kind of rough nick on the shock shafts will tear the seals and also destroy the bearing in the rod-guide. The remedy that I hear from people is to polish the rough spots out but that creates low spots. Now the low spots and larger pits in the shafts will not only drag oil out of the shock but it will drag dirt in past the damaged seals thus contaminating the oil. The dirt particles in the oil will eventually work their way between o-rings and mating surfaces, scaring these areas. The scared areas will eventually leak and lead to the shock failing. I find it funny that people will spend thousands of dollars on shocks, but will debate over if they should spend $15 per boot to protect the shocks from expensive preventable damage. I have buckets full of beat up shock shafts(coil overs included) from people that didn't think they needed boots. Boots and coil wraps were put on and shock shafts have not been damaged since.

Attachments