• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shock Consensus

John Bitting

Administrator
No name brands mentioned please. Since I am in the market for shocks right now. I was wondering what other people looked for when they bought an aftermarket shock. My first vehicle was affordability get the most I could for the little amount I had. This time it is a lot different I am doing research, watching similar vehicles running different shocks etc.. What would influence you to buy one shock over the other.. Price, Seeing on top finishing vehicle, friends run them, word of mouth, ease of ownership (valving/maintnence), color, loyalty? Thanks in advance

BIG_FAT_LOSER

In my opinion weigh what you can afford vs. what you are really planning on using your truck for. Mine is for just trashing around and price was a big factor, not the brand. I think most people purchase shocks more for looks than what they are gong to actually going to be subjected to. Do you really need coilovers, or a bypass for a mainly street driven truck that sees maybe 100 to 200 off road miles a year at most? Any major brand adjustable/rebuildable shock would be better than most popular "store" brands. my 2 cents.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>

scott

First of all what are you going to do in the Bronco ?????? Then decide on what you want, then of course the price is a big issue. The Classified's usually have shocks that are new that have never been bolted on that are a little bit cheaper than buying new.......Find a great fabricator then do it !!!! Research is the best policy.....

RacerX

In my opinion, all shocks use the same technology inside. They all have a piston, and shims. It all depends on the valving.
My $.02

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Ditto what Pat said, my feelings are the same on the issue.

<font color=red>Rally Expert<font color=red>

rdc

I agree with Racerx, the four shock manufacturers basically use the same technology, and you can get the same performance out of all of them. I prefer buying a shock that you can walk into Kartek, McKenzies or Donahoe and buy off the shelf or get in two weeks, that way if you need parts for service or repair they usually have the parts in stock.

DougM

The nice yellow ones with the German name, are in my book the easiest to work with. They are guaranteed for life and they've been used in the dirt since 1971. ALL the good shops carry them and they can be revalved(even the off the shelf ones can be for additional $)

my .03

jimpat

make your own!!!

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

frankh

John I think the ? should be who is going to dial the shock in for you. then see what shocks he likes. I have the opinion that all the shocks are good if you get then dial in right.

Greg

I agree with Frank 100%, and if you aren't convinced by what anyone tells you then do what Jim says and make your own. Really, John, ride in every vehicle that is similar to yours and then copy the the one that worked best, or at least heed that persons' advise the most.

Greg

jimpat

from what i have seen the new man in town made some killer shocks for Sean M. in class one.
They are good looking pieces but most of all he fine tunes them , goes out testing with you and has all the stuff to revalve them in the spot. I do not know if he also makes them for prerunners, but if there is a demand, he probably will......

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

vwguy

i agree with frank 100% also. if you have a guy revalve or tune one brand of shock but he is good at another brand even though they are all primarily the same it wont be good. the top 4 brands are all the same in my opinion and cost is another influence. but remember they will all work the same if they are valved or tuned properly. next look for reliability i.e. which brand doesnt blow seals often or as frequently as the others.

its not speeding unless its a triple digit

rdc

Hey Dougm, Please, Please show me a beautiful yellow shock any where on the planet that you can take apart, revalve, is "EASY to work on" and is guaranteed for life !!!!! You might want to ask a few more question of your supplier or consider distributing this amazing product yourself because it would be an excellent business concept.

drtdevil93

none of those things are important, all that matters is the shocks match your trucks paint scheme.

:p

erik

DougM

classless-
talk to Shane at *#*$()@#$- you can get any off the shelf shock valved anyway you want thru them( for a nomial fee) or ORW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by John_Bitting on 08/30/01 07:50 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

John Bitting

Administrator
Thank you to everyone for the help.. I appreciate it. Does anyone know who makes a grey shock to match my bronco. :) I have made a choice on shocks and will be picking them up real soon..The Bronco goes into Beard Seats next week to get new seats mounted up.. I will post pics of the finished product I cannot wait..