• Forum membership has its advantages....

shock hoop/bender questions

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
im in the market for a new tubing bender to fabricate a rear bed cage and possible a front shock hoop for a ranger. what size tubing is generally used for bed cages/shock hoops? i found this bender while searching the web: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mittlerbros.com/products/180degreemanualbender.htm>http://www.mittlerbros.com/products/180degreemanualbender.htm</A> however it only bends tube up to 1"o.d. that price is way cheaper than a jd2 but would it even be worth buying it for my application?

singlehanded

I think you will probably want to use inch and a half or inch and 3/4. I dont know where you live (YOUR PROFILE LACKS ALMOST ALL INFO,FILL IT OUT), but if your near orange county Donahoe racing has a Dezert Tools bender thats really good. It will do anything you need. they have two different models one is $275 and the other is $375 and the dies range but around 250-300 for 1 1/2 -1 3/4.

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
1.5" Chromoly or 1.75" mild steel is what you should be using. I think its .120 wall but may be .095 not sure on that one. Those are SCORE rules. Usually a good guidline to follow.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

sam_i

just to add to kritter - 0.120 wall (SCORE)

samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

vwguy

i believe it is .120 wall for mild steel and .095 for chromoly per score rules
you should use 120 wall mild steel with an o.d. of 1.5-1.75
chromoly i sort of a waste of money for cage stuff the only reason it is lighter is because you can run a smaller wall thickness but the price is much higher
look at it like this if you are going to use 1.5 chromoly with a .095 wall thickness just use 1.75 mild steel with a .120 wall thickness and it is just as strong or stronger

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by vwguy on 11/26/01 08:12 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Check out Pro Tools, have had one for many years and have no complaints. Richard