Shock mounting spacing

FabioP

Reaction
If running 2.5" coilover next to bypass shock at 90*, how close can I mount the shocks? is 4 inches center to center too tight?

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Put a spring on the shock put the bypass next to it and see how tight the fitment is. You didnt mention what the OD of the spring is or what size bypass you are running. If for instance you are running a 3" bypass and a 2.5 coilover then I dont think 4" will work.

L&LMotorsports

Reaction
It would also be different mounted side by side on an a-arm or one in front of another on a trailing arm.

FabioP

Reaction
It will be 2.5" coilover and 2.5" bypasses from FOA. They will be mounted side by side on top of a solid rear axle. See the start of my model:

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
I reccomend getting the shocks, springs, and mocking it all up. 4" will be very close. Be sure to have the bypass tubes placed away from the spring area (im sure you have all ready considered this). Also, Im no cage expert, and I know its just a start, but I reccomend a second opinion.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Sketching out concepts is a useful exercise but I wouldn't get too tied down by any dimensions unless you have the parts in your hand. As mentioned above, outside spring diameter will be different given a specified rating as well as "clocking" of the bypass tubes all affect allowable distance. You'd be surprised by simply clocking the tubes how much available space appears. Of course you could make it crazy wide but that would defeat the purpose of making a tight and compact design. I'd get everything that you need first, then worry about how it all goes together when "you" can check the tolerances rather than relying on what someone else had done.

Just a pair of pesos...

85yota

Reaction
my old truck I ran a 2.5 coilover and bypass and ran 5" spread and had maybe 1/4" to spare at the tightest spot. I now run 6" spread just to make sure nothing can hit or upgrade to a 3.0 later easier.

FabioP

Reaction
Thanks DesertGuy

It will not be solid in concrete until I get the shocks. BTW, that rod bowing with the shocks hanging in there is freaking me out. They didn't fall right?