Shock mounting to lower arm

IRONGOOK

Reaction
O.K. you experts. I need your opinions. We are racing a 1987 7s Toyota 4x4 with ifs. Our shock mounting is old school (triple 2" shocks with hoops) and we would like to update to a single 2 1/2" or 3" bypass. Now here lies the problem. The only way I see us being able to mount a single shock and still be class legal is to attach the shock to the lower A-arm. My concern is that if I mount a shock to the lower arm, I will effectively be trying to pull the lower ball joint out of it's socket. Should I be concerned? Any pic's would be greatly appreciated!
Additional info: Class Legal stock arms with added metal for strength. Stock ball joints and steering linkage. Front drive axles removed.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Where are you racing? If it is Score. There was a stone stock Full size truck that had 2 3" By-pass shocks per wheel. It was a 98 or newer F-150 raced by ANDATACO. They had 1 to the lower arm and one from the upper arm sort of-- it was mounted to the spindle but from the top of it. It was a great Idea whoever did it.
For your truck I would use a 3" by-pass and mount it to the lower arm. If it is a tough fit use a 8" body and a 14" shaft, or something like that. If you have any questions you can call any time. 714 848-8880.

Jkrell

Reaction
I have seen a few 4wd a-arm toyotas with shocks running off the upper arm...I think a lot of the guys run it off the upper arm for both clearance reasons and also because the spring (torsion) is off the upper arm. If you run the shock off the lower you trasmit the load of the spring through both the upper and the lower ball joints. I think you could probably get away with this but it might be a good thing to step up to larget ball joints (7s allows it).