• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shock Oil?

RRacing

Bilstein uses F&L Ultra Extreme shock oil.
Correct. Joel also called it Fox Red, or Fox Oil. Also, thanks Philofab for turning me onto SHDQ. I hadn't been there in a while and was surprised to see all the cool stuff they sold. I bought Lucas shock oil, and the "salesman" told me it was better than the Fox oil. I didn't ask why. Any opinions on their product?

86F-onefifty

I don't work in the sales dept, but my answer(s) would be:

Better Base Oil- about 80% of your shock oil is this, so don't cheap out here. *Includes solvent or lack of, which contributes to seal-shrink/swell
Better Additive Packages- i.e. "up-to-date," because advancements are always being made here, whether the performance/racing aftermarket is watching or not
Better Viscosity Index Improver- *Important. This is related to what Kris mentioned earlier in the thread. VI testing is done @ 40C/104F and 100C/212F to determine the viscous stability of an oil as it undergoes temp change. "VI improver" is the component added to maintain viscosity at high temps. With lesser quality VI improver, the molecules (think strings) will shear, just like a bolt, at __x__ amount of temp. (not caused temperature alone, but also pressure/wear). After that, the damage is done, and so is high-temp stability. "Better" VI improver can take more heat (and heat cycles) without shearing, which, after cooling, provides a sort of memory to the oil. (The strings can stretch and return to their original form, while the oil gets to keep its stability).

*However, don't get too caught up on VI ratings, as lab testing is limited to rating the oil's stability up to 100C/212F. Beyond that temp is where better quality VI improver and base oil are truly put to the test. The oil's stability can drop off rapidly, or less than rapidly, depending on the components of the oil.

That's what makes a "better" oil, IMO.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Correct. Joel also called it Fox Red, or Fox Oil. Also, thanks Philofab for turning me onto SHDQ. I hadn't been there in a while and was surprised to see all the cool stuff they sold. I bought Lucas shock oil, and the "salesman" told me it was better than the Fox oil. I didn't ask why. Any opinions on their product?
Lucas makes a good product. Use the one you like. Kinda like which is better: Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota?

partybarge_pilot

The Fox red tends to get sticky after a few heat cycles. Not a problem for a race car that gets serviced after every race but pre-runners will have issues.

F.A.S.T.clothing

I found out you should not mix brands . I had put fox blue oil in my res and tube when I had to top off due to a leak.

How often should you replace oil and seals. I thought mine would run hot because of weight of vehicle and size of bypass but sway a way took tearing and it was not hot. Then again only did one lap ay barstow and was not at race speeds and the main testing was not constant. Next time I test def going to check again.especially with all the new revalving we did.

philofab

Powered by Optima
On a race vehicle? Every race if your budget allows it. That's considered prep.

On that same note, some people only rebuild when they leak or once a year.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I don't think any of them ran Bilsteins. The discussion is regarding oil for Bilstein, not Kings. We run Bilstein and I know what temps they run. Just because ^^^their shocks got that hot does not mean that *all* shocks get that hot.

Temp indicators and with a gun.
An infrared gun is not accurate on nickel plating. Temp indicators do workthough.

I was offering general knowledge on oil and following up an example to rebute your information.

The consensus Gadzooks was your shocks dont get hot becuase you guys dont drive all that fast. Not my words. I dont know you nor have I seen you race.

My personal take on oil is I would never buy it from the shock manufacturer. They are just a middle man marking it up. Buy it based on properties and price range and change it as often as you can afford.

Sparky

The consensus Gadzooks was your shocks dont get hot becuase you guys dont drive all that fast.
That is classic. I may need to steal that for my sig line.

Sparky

I didn't say it, but I do think it's funny.
I have a pretty good idea of who did say that and the really ironic thing is that we have been on the podium way more than he has. But that is OK...let them all think we are slow.

Random Thoughts Racing

Bilstein uses F&L Ultra Extreme shock oil.
This is correct, generally Bilstein off road race applications use F&L red. Standard Bilstein oil is well proven worldwide for everything that dosent see the temps get to 250+ for extended periods.

Ragarding temps taken on a Bilstein they should be measured at the black aluminum top cap or on the black bypass adjuster. As Kris indicated shooting the nickel body with an IR gun is not accurate.

heman

I am currently using napa aw32 oil on my shocks as well as customers shocks and it has worked very good so far

RRacing

Pick the weight of oil you want then get the one with the highest viscosity index you can afford.

Maxima makes great oil used in some of the fastest TT's out there
F&L makes Fox oil
King uses Shell oil
SAW uses semi syn Torco oil

A podium jeepspeed with 2.5" shocks will run 300-350F assuming its not overweight. Overweight you can be pushing 400F.

Dont use ATF. Yes it works, not if you want to be competitive in that class. Next to prep, shocks are everything in that class. Rebuild them every race with fresh seals and oil. Ive worked with the fastest jeepspeeds out there and know what it takes to win.

Shoot me an email [email protected] if you want more specifics. If you talk to Bilstein Joel, he will point you to me for seal kits if he cant take care of you right away.
Anyone unhappy with Maxima? Why? I have a %50 off coupon and can get 5 gallons for about $120. Sounds like a great deal on high quality oil.

RRacing

An infrared gun is not accurate on nickel plating. Temp indicators do workthough.

I was offering general knowledge on oil and following up an example to rebute your information.

The consensus Gadzooks was your shocks dont get hot becuase you guys dont drive all that fast. Not my words. I dont know you nor have I seen you race.

My personal take on oil is I would never buy it from the shock manufacturer. They are just a middle man marking it up. Buy it based on properties and price range and change it as often as you can afford.

Where do I find temp indicators/strips/stickers for my shocks?