• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shock oil

slvrbullet

As I'm doing some shopping for shocks oil I've noticed a big price difference between different brands, Is Fox 7w red shock oil really that much better than their 5w blue oil and what about Kings oil, or Sway a Ways synthetic oil. This is going in a light weight buggy that I race in the Snore series.

gwizz

cheaper means its easier to replace when you service them. me personally im using the cheap bilstein fluid.

Crusty Shellback

When rebuilding my King shocks, I didnt order enough oil. Went to a local shop who told me Icon oil was just King oil with a color dye. I asked "are you sure?". He called King and the confirmed it. So I have King oil in the rear shocks and colored King oil (Icon) in the fronts.

gwizz

honestly before you start blowing money on oil. wait till you have a fluid problem. chances are if your going hard or even need the expensive oil you will be inside your shocks frequently anyways. wait for fluid degradation ie burnt looking or smelling before you start changing to more expensive fluid. but that being said if money were no object buy the good shhit.

figure a little bit over half a gallon for a 14" 2.5 shock.

you can find oil volume calculators online to ballpark your shocks beforehand. kartek has reservoir piston depth measurements on their website as well as the volumes for bumps too.

slvrbullet

Thanks guys, I had a leaky shock and all the local shop had was Fox red and it looks like that's what came out of the shock, so looks like I'm good. I will keep all this in mind when I rebuild all the shocks and change up the valving.