shock question

Custom_Yota

Reaction
If I was to lean my shocks more forward would that le tme get more travel out of the shock? and with them laying down would that make the shocks more soft or stiff.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
The more that a shock is off in a horizontal position it will loose efficiency. ie if it is perpidicular to the plane of travel than it does nothing, and the more parrallel it is, the less the motion ratio becomes. The more you lean the shock the softer it will get, but it should increase the heat trying to keep things under control if i am right.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ACID_RAIN28 on 12/07/02 07:48 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

Reaction
Assumed: (simple, but not real world)
1) 10" of Shock Mount Travel bump to droop.
2) 20" Long fully extended shock

Four different examples: Shock @ 0* angle, Shock @ 15* angle, Shock @ 30* angle, Shock @ 45* angle (all from verticle); Compress the suspension 10" -

0* Shock @ bump has shortened 10"

15* Shock @ bump has shortened 9.3"

30* Shock @ bump has shortened 7.6"

45* Shock @ bump has shortened 5.3"

For any given bump in the course/road/trail the suspension has X time to move from one point to the next. The faster you move oil thru a restriction, the more heat you generate and a shock's job is to dampen suspension motion by making heat. The shorter the distance the shock's piston has to go in a given time, the slower it moves. Which makes less heat.

By laying the shock over from perpendicular to the suspension's direction of travel you use less of the shock's possible stroke, but you also make it less effective.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.