Shock Question

ChevyDude

Reaction
i have a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with a 6 inch pro comp lift kit.. im wondering what are the tallest shocks i can run on this kit so i can get a lil more lift out of it for clearance issues im having. also im running just single shocks in the stock mounts, and would it be fine if i ran a fox/king shock w/piggy backs/reservoir in the front and rear stock mounts, instead of the regular ugly white pro comp shocks? and last what if i ran a coil over in the front in the stock mounts? the econ hit me pretty hard, or id go buy something better to mount to rather then stock... THANK YOU GUY SOO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!

Last edited:

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
ummm shocks wont help lift..... springs handle that... Is it stock coilover? or torsion bars?

ChevyDude

Reaction
wad u mean stock coilover? or torsion bars? im talking about mounting coil over shocks in the front stock mounts. and how tall of shocks do you put on the 6in lift kits?

FIGGY

Reaction
ok. if its a 4x4 chevy 1500 03 and it has a six inch lift adding dual shock or fox shocks wont help on the lift, these trucks run on torsion bars which is like a coilover or coil spring truck one thing you can do is cranking the the torsion keys up high which might give you a lift abit higher but will make your suspension really stiff. you can add some torsion keys that will lift it an 1.5 inch to 2 inches. but dont buy shocks cause that wont lift your truck at all. and adding coilovers you can probly do but will cost you. hopefully this help let me know

ChevyDude

Reaction
yes my truck is running on torsion bars. but i have to replace my shocks either way so i was tryin to figure out my options.. the whole dual shock are kinda played out so i was thinking about maybe running a coil over in the stock mounts, or have my brother weld me up a shock hoop to give the shock my travel, but what size would i need for my lift and everything?

FIGGY

Reaction
Dude your gonna have to eliminate your torsion bars and that up arm is to small to run a coil over since its not made for it, and that lower arm you wouldnt be able to mount any coil overs on it the way it has the mount. i jus woundnt bother with it, i hate to tell you this but thats my advise unless you plan on putting alot of money to it dont do it.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Colilover option - A conversion would not be simple, and would not be cheap.

Replacement shock option - Shocks wont lift the truck. If you want a single shock option get a single (monotube) shock valved for your truck with a 6" lift. Bilstein makes one as do others. The ride will be better than a twintube procomp unit.

MALIBLOC

Reaction
Buy replacement key's from readylift.com, they come with shock extension so you can buy a replacement shock for a 6" lift (very common, upgrade to bilstein 5100 series , their 80.00 a piece) once you buy the replacement shocks for the 6" lift kit, install your torsion keys and use the extension they have for the shock.

2" more lift. Cheap and inexpensive, right. Have fun.