Shock Rebuild Help - Bearing Cap spinning even with 300 lbs of pressure

TauMau

Reaction
So I had to do an emergency rebuild on the 2.5 Foxs for the class 9 before the race this last weekend. I loosened the allen for the bearing cap and started spinning...didn't loosen. I added about 50 lbs of pressure and tried again, no go. I added 200 lbs kept spinning and wasn't loosening. I got the pressure about to about 270-300 range and the damn thing still wouldn't loosen!

I ended up just doing a reservoir rebuild as that's all it really needed and decided to worry about it later. Now that 'later' has come, what do you guys think? How can I remove this bearing cap?? I thought maybe add some heat but didn't want to melt the seals and still not be able to get it off with only a couple days before the race but I guess now since it's no longer an emergency I can try it. What do you guys suggest??

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Clamp the shock body (at the cap) in a vise with soft jaws. Don't crush it, just tight, you should be able to loosen the dust cap.

Baja peso

Reaction
If there isn't enough oil in the res and the floater is topped out, then no amount of psi will have any effect on that.