Shock Rebuilding Video with Brett King

sbro

Brett was nice enough to take time out of his day to demonstrate a shock rebuild for us, because it is a really common question he gets and doesn't always have the time to thoroughly explain it. I think a lot of people here can find this useful that don't have the networking to be taught otherwise. Please excuse the shop noise in the background, we tried our best to drain it out with audio filters but its not perfect. Any comments would be appreciated! You can grab it here:

Desert Rides

motoxscott

I can already see it now...........Flatbillers across america trying to rebuild and change the oil in their Fabtech and Rancho 9000 shocks.

-Scott

sbro

I honestly don't think many "flatbillers" read the forums. They are more about the superficial appeal of the sport than actually learning or being involved in the community. Hopefully some dedicated novices out there will benefit from the video, that is all we are hoping for.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.desertrides.com>Desert Rides</A>

ACID_RAIN28

Just checked out some of the videos on desert rides, and the same with all videos now adays, first what happend to all the RDC videos, after everyevent there were a bunch. Second why do all the videos have to have music in them, not just music, but nothing but music. I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather see incar footage with the engine and other noises, you just can't get into them with out it, it gives you that kinda "there during it" feeling. And also I can't get DSL at my end of town yet so I have the old school, and it takes forever for them to download, especially since they have the 30 seconds of useless credits. Just my 3 dollar bill on this subject.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

sbro

The video with no car/truck sound is due to the fact that the sound was either damaged or not available. The in-car camera did not have sound input so it was just dead air. A lot of our footage was damaged with dust so there would be loud beeps and digital noise, so we figured it would be best left out. I do agree though, I love the sound of the TTs roaring! We are working on getting better equipment to deal with these problems.

ACID_RAIN28

I didn't mean to single yours out, it is not just those there are a bunch these days that you can hear the cars and trucks but the music is overpowering, and i would much rather hace the engine and junk noise. And then don't get me started on how the music dosen't flow with the video.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

jcorsico

Although this sounds silly, carefully wrapping your video camera with a t-shirt, and then a plastic bag, is highly effective at keeping the dust out. We had problems with dust getting into both our still cameras and also the video cameras, which then cost about $100 each to get cleaned.

You can take a t-shirt and lightly wrap it around the camera in such a fashion so the lens sticks out one arm hole, and the viewing window sticks out another, and then out of the head hole on the shirt, you can stick you hand to hold the camera. Then tape the whole thing loosely so the t-shirt doesn't unravel. You can then put the whole thing in a plastic bag, like a large zip-lock, with three holes cut in it for the openings. The plastic bag seems to keep out 85% of the dirt, and then the rest ends up getting trapped in the t-shirt before it gets inside the camera. This was highly effective.

Jon

Steve_HKmtrsprts

ACID_RAIN28- Well I do the music cause I like listening to it and I get to because I spend the time to tape it and edit it. So I dont think you should be complaining cause I think you are in the minority on that topic. Dont get me wrong I love the sounds of all the buggies and trucks going by, but there is alot of background crap that goes on, ie, wind, background conversation and video compression. When you spend the time and money to do movies you can do them without music. I would still watch them. I spend alot of my own time just to put the little videos for you all to watch if you want. So appreciate us who do this for the site and less complaining.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Its to hard to please everyone and I like it with music I personally think its boring as hell without music....you can goto the race and hear the engines only if you want. I always put them in the background a little bit so you can have the best of both worlds.

If people dont like it why dont they go out there and film with their camera and then go home and make a video with no music and post it so then they are happy!

Go Big Or Go Home

mflo

I shot all of the footage with my canon elura 20MC. this is a vertical type, mini camcorder. This camera would be nearly impossible to seal from the dust and maintain control of the necessary camera functions. I was also forced to film with the LCD screen, because I wear glasses and the small viewfinder on that model was too difficult for me to film with.

I was recently able to purchase a canon zr series camera, which will be easier to seal from the dust and still use the camera effectivley. This is temporary, untill I can save up for a canon gl2. Thanks for the t-shirt tip. I was just going to use saran wrap and duct tape.

The testing videos on our site do not have music, and frankly seem a little dull without it. The san felipe race video has the vehicle sound interspersed with the music. The in car camera does record sound, but since it is located in a padded box, the sound is muffled and is mostly wind noise. It can be very difficult to effectivley time the video to the music, but we try our best.

yotatech

i hope this doenst stop you guys from making the videos, cause personally i enjoy them.

keep up the good work.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by yotatech on 04/09/03 10:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Robert??? simmer dowm my a$$ do you have and idea how long it take to put togther a decent video Steve & I Spend alot of time putting the videos toghether im sorry that you dont get your engine sound but half the time it comes out like crap because half the trucks have high powered aftermarket ingnitions that I cant filter out the sounds of the engines firing order!watching an entire video of just engine sounds would be competely STUPID!!! the music is what gets you pumped up and Im sorry if I dont use Hank Williams as my music he just can play his guitar as fast as Godsmack, you know what if you dont like the videos then go to the race yourself to spectate it then you dont have to deal with my videos because we go to the race video and still manage to pit for Camburg and you cant even make it to the race! get off you lazy A$$ and drive out like everyone else and untill you start making videos I sugest you should shut your mouth about the way we all produce our videos and as for ACID_RAIN28 my 30 seconds of BS is my sponsers like Camburg and Race-Dezert.com who make it posible for HK Motorsports to bring off road racing to you computer ....this post is for both of you and anyone esle who wants to talk trash!!!!......Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

motoxscott

I think their are too many critics in this world. Build the video the way you want to see and hear it, you win some and you lose some, you can't please them all.

Lets appreciate the time and energy that went into it and leave it at that.

Anyone seen Fish's baseball rolling around ??

-Scott

1992f150

ha ha, I like the music myself.
Hey mike any way I could get those old glamis videos you posted ALONG time ago there that were hosted on calif super trucks site (but not anymore)? One had guttermouth/bouncing souls music and there was 1 or 2 other vids but I forget what music it had.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

sbro

Hey guys, lets try to keep this post on track. I don't want to see it locked by John or Klaus because of a side conversation. We can compromise.....if you like the music, blast it. If you don't, mute the video and queue your song of choice in Winamp. Lets talk shocks and constructive criticism on the video! Anything Brett didn't include that some of the veterans here would find valuable? We are going to write an article to accompany the vid, so any feedback is appreciated.

motoxscott

I think with the dezertrangers.com message board down the past couple of days, people havent been able to express their anger and now it is overflowing into race-dezert.

:)