Shock size for Ranger

justin meyers

Reaction
Can someone chime in on this.. ive got my front end setup ( 94 ranger-equal lengths-4.0) ive got 14" 2.5 c/o and im looking into bypasses. i see some people are running 16" 3.0's and some 2.5's. how much more a difference will the 3.0 provide vs the 2.5??? and why is a 16" used with a 14" ? school me please

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Can't help you any with the difference between a 2.5" and a 3.0" but the different stroke lengths are due to different mounting locations with relation to the wheel. . .whichever shock is closer to the wheel (when viewed from the front or rear) will need longer travel than the one closer to the center of the vehicle. . .the outer shock will use more of it's stroke than the inner shock will for the same amount of wheel travel.

Hope that helps some. . .

justin meyers

Reaction
i planned on a 3 tube ,but is the diameter of the shock (2.0 or 3.0) determined by how much load is on that shock, and its affect on the heat and wear?? by the way its a ranger w/4.0

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Between 2.5 and 3.0 the size only gives more oil capacity. If you plan to go further with the suspension and asking more from the shocks down the road it may be better to get the bigger bypass now, although a 2.5 co and 2.5 Bypass should be plenty of shock for your project.

Wahl_7s

Reaction
Between 2.5 and 3.0 the size only gives more oil capacity. If you plan to go further with the suspension and asking more from the shocks down the road it may be better to get the bigger bypass now, although a 2.5 co and 2.5 Bypass should be plenty of shock for your project.

Yes i agree more oil cooler shocks,that said if its a prerunner fun truck 2.5 bypass will be more than adequate. If you plan to race the truck in the future i would step up to the 3in. bypass.

On The Edge Fabrication

Reaction
On a race truck run a 3.0x16. On a prerunner or a daily run a 2.5x14. When you are racing you want as much shock and oil as you can get to avoid shock fade. The trick to mounting a 16 by pass when you have a 14 coil is to drop the mount for the by pass off the front of the beam and raise the upper shock mount up a bit, you do this at full comp. and just make the mounts go where they need to to make things work, If your shock are not at the same angle to each other its ok, but the closer they are to being the same the better. It will be tougher to get the larger shock in there but if you have the room and the $$ then I say go for it.

The first pic on this page shows the 14 and 16 inch shocks, both are 2.5 but you get the idea of hangin the bypass of the front

http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/50/94/

good luck!