shock Starting point on Baja Bug

Erik Irvine

RDC Crypto
Website
www.FinishLineWELD.com
Hey guys! Just got done mounting some new (used off RDC) shocks on the rear of my baja bug. Wondering what valving I should start with to get me in the ballpark the first tuning trip. Here is the technical information;

Weight of car: Approx. 2,500lbs wet
Rear wheel travel: 17 in.
Rear shock travel: 13.5 in.
Rear shocks: FOX 3.0, 1in. shaft, 2 reb., 2 comp., 1 gold valve., red oil

I have the shim kit, just need to know what would be a good starting point. I would prefer to turn bypass adjusters in the dez, not tear into the shocks.

Attachments

• jakes5.jpg
    jakes5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 6,082
  • jakes2.jpg
    jakes2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,463

shock pros

RDC Crypto
Website
www.shockprosoffroad.com
You could start off with a 3,2,1/90 stack with 1 bleed hole in the piston. The angle of the shock with determine if you need more or less valving. Give that a try and play around with the bypass tubes. Remember that the gold valve works for compression and rebound.

cosmo

Super Moderator
RDC Crypto
You could start off with a 3,2,1/90 stack with 1 bleed hole in the piston. The angle of the shock with determine if you need more or less valving. Give that a try and play around with the bypass tubes. Remember that the gold valve works for compression and rebound.

I'd agree with Shock Pro's. Start with 3 turns out on the Gold valve also.

Erik Irvine

RDC Crypto
Website
www.FinishLineWELD.com
Thanks guys I'll start with what you suggested. I'll post up some video of the first tuning session when I get back. Which hired gun is the ace for FOX shock tuning these days if I need to go that route?

tinman

That dude!
RDC Crypto
I would suggest not using the gold valve at all, have yet to come across a torsion bar car that likes it. And i would agree with shock pro on a single bleed on the piston. I would start with a single .052" bleed.

rich01

RDC Crypto
hey guys! Just got done mounting some new (used off rdc) shocks on the rear of my baja bug. Wondering what valving i should start with to get me in the ballpark the first tuning trip. Here is the technical information;

weight of car: Approx. 2,500lbs wet
rear wheel travel: 17 in.
Rear shock travel: 13.5 in.
Rear shocks: Fox 3.0, 1in. Shaft, 2 reb., 2 comp., 1 gold valve., red oil

i have the shim kit, just need to know what would be a good starting point. I would prefer to turn bypass adjusters in the dez, not tear into the shocks.

that looks sweet!!! Its complete now right where are the pics!