• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shock Temperatures

Power Monkey

What is the correct operating/race temperatures or rage that 2.0 Coilovers, 2.O BPs front and 2.0 CO , 3.0 BPs in the rear, should be at? In testing I was getting about 110 degrees on the COs and BPs both front and rear. They all have Fox red oil in them. Thanks guys!

facteryfmf

I sat with Rob Mac at breakfast in San Felipe and they actually monitor shock Temps he said. He was seeing 400+ degrees at many times. That would be the shock oil temp though.

cosmo

Super Moderator
How did you arrive at 110 degrees? Temp strips, inferred gun? That's good if they are all staying cool. That's the main goal.How much gas pressure , light valving in all?

Power Monkey

Thank you for the feedback.

The temps were taken from a inferred gun. Shooting the top of the body.
There all at 200 psi with fairly light valving. Right or wrong she sure is riding well.

Regarding the Rob Mac breakfast discussion. How are they getting that "oil" temp? Is there an internal sensor?

skullver

Yikes, 400*F is right on that upper limit for the o-rings yeah?

Porboy

Regarding the Rob Mac breakfast discussion. How are they getting that "oil" temp? Is there an internal sensor?
Yes there is a sensor for the bypass shock that relays information to the Motec unit.

51rcr

ive seen temp sensing paint and stickers at 450. I was amazed when I seen them

MCM MOTORSPORTS

If you look closely you can see a sensor and wire coming from the top of the bypass shock on the ground. I would imagine they are monitoring the temp from there. As there should be a point were you need to allow them to cool so you don't kill the oil.

BALDWIN.jpg

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Thank you for the feedback.

The temps were taken from a inferred gun. Shooting the top of the body.
There all at 200 psi with fairly light valving. Right or wrong she sure is riding well.

Be care with the I.R guns as they read inconsistent when you are trying to read a shiny surface.

isdtbower

I definitely agree on the above...Inconsistent is a nice description. Consistent would be painting a thick black patch where you wanted to take temps.

At 110'F you could put your hand on the shock and not burn. He may have been seeing 110'C which is about 230'F and would boil spit and smart a whole bunch