• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shock Trouble

havahockey

Flipper
I have a set of 7100's that I've been having trouble with. My drivers side leaks really bad, to the point where i leave puddles in the street every morning. Last night my buddy changed the one piece seal kit, but it still leaks.

Any clue on why its doing it? I know I could send it to Bilstien to have them look at it and fix it, but I've had negative experiances with them so i'd rather try and do it on my own.

Thanks a lot,
Jason

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit, Deavers, 7100's, blah blah..

vwguy

what piston size are your shocks

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

vwguy

that is equivelant to 1.81" or so and would probably be advertised as a 2" diameter shock
if that is the size it might be to small for you to be running and you might be blowing them out constantly

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Jack

After about a week of leaking, it should stop...

But seriously, you may have a bent or guled shaft you should be able to tell when you have it apart, just inspect everything.

Tyson

Actually those damn Bilsteins can leak forever. 1 of my shocks on the front right (5100 10") had a bad leak and it also left puddles everywhere I parked for about 3 weeks. Then as soon as that one stopped leaking 1 on the front left started leaking (about a week ago) and is still leaking strong - damn thing. SO maybe not forever but they pack alot of oil thats for sure.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

Dave_G

Re: Actually those damn Bilsteins can leak forever.

Yep. Probably some dumb a** machinist made the seal grooves out of spec. You could probably feed it all the seals it can eat and it will leak forever. I've seen that before.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I have some 10" 5100 that leak like crazy. Don't know why, but I have been told it is very common. Something Bilstein needs to look into.

Kris

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>

vwguy

i wonder if it is valved to stiffy and to compensate it is blowing past your seals