Shocks / Computers and on the fly adjustments

Honda48X

Reaction
How many teams have computer aided shock adjustments similar to what is on the new Polaris? Any in development?

Honda48X

Reaction
Just going with the stock set-up on the RZR with the new system. Does it work? I'm planning on getting an RZR and wondering if it's cheaper to go with a standard unit and upgrade the shocks or should I go with their new built in DYNAMIX Active Suspension System?

jeff

Reaction
Regarding the Polaris with Dynamix.... You'd have to drive both side by side to feel the difference but I would say yes, it's noticeable. Does it work? Well, the FOX Live Valve is capable of making damping adjustments on the fly in approximately in .003 of a second so I'd say that is pretty special. As time goes on I would imagine the software that controls what the "latching solenoid" does and when it does it will be improved. The ride quality the system is capable of providing today will only get better as they tweak the parameters.

Aloha

Honda48X

Reaction
You must be in Hawaii. Thank you for the input. I’m wondering if it’s worth the money or if I should hold off for a couple of years. I would assume both FOX and KING are doing lots of R and D. Is anyone using something similar?

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction
I did like 300 miles of Prerun of our next local race on RZR with dynamix and did it before on a same 4 seater rzr w/o dynamix but with upgraded valved shocks, and can say yes very different handling on the dynamix

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

Honda48X

Reaction
I did like 300 miles of Prerun of our next local race on RZR with dynamix and did it before on a same 4 seater rzr w/o dynamix but with upgraded valved shocks, and can say yes very different handling on the dynamix

Very interesting. Still not quite sure if this is the way I want to go.

mattb

Reaction
The Herbst had this in the 90’s in the Landshark. Apparently it took Fox +25yrs to figure something similar out, maybe they should have hired Mike Smith and had some selling for the last 1/4 century.

MAC56

Reaction
At 60 mph you cover 15.84 feet in .003 seconds. The response time is not particularly special. Its amazing how fast a normal shock can get the job done.

RanchoPacific Motorsports

Reaction
At 60 mph you cover 15.84 feet in .003 seconds. The response time is not particularly special. Its amazing how fast a normal shock can get the job done.
Double check your math, At 60 MPH you travel 88 Feet per second, and 3.168 inches in .003 seconds

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
pretty funny when someone tries to act all BRAINIAC........then quickly gets OWNED.......hhahahahhahhahaha

Robin Hood

Reaction

In what regards is it "very different"...better, worse, same buy different characteristics.

Honda48X

Reaction
I don't understand other then the sheer number of shocks being sold to Polaris as to why they don't test with a TT? Is it because there are not that many shocks sold to off road teams and FOX or King does not want to spend the R&D money? Is the Computer that controls the shock a proprietary item owned by FOX?

swiftracing5

Reaction
Andy Mcmillin was testing the live valve last week with fox, not sure if there are plans to race on it.

Ikaika

Reaction
O.K. gang,........... I've been watching many vids on you tube and can recall Rob Mac giving verbal commands to his co-rider / navigator to soften the front shocks..........they were at speed when the command took place.
I can't seem to recall what vid, or what race or even what year,........but I'm certain of what I had heard as it had caused me to research this very subject over the last 18 months.

In addition, I recall watching BJ's "Recoil" in Cuba where he gets in the truck & fiddles with some gadget which looks to me like some sort of suspension control box.

I'm very interested in this subject & will continue to research.

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Different handling as "better" handling? Can you describe what your impression was please? I am very interested in this also. Thanks for any details you want to provide.

jeff

Reaction
Is FOX Live life changing better? Nope. Is it better than what FOX was offering previously? Yes.

Regarding the amount of time at which the fluid control starts to occur through the use of the computer controlled solenoids... The system can basically go from "open" to "closed" in .003 of a second. That's pretty damn fast and you don't have to listen to check balls while it happens ;)

The FOX Live can be firm or soft in nearly any portion of the shock stroke. In the real world the system is most noticeable to the driver over surfaces that are either more constant or when the vehicle is being jumped through the air. For instance, once the sensor determines the vehicle is airborne the shocks will firm up to prevent (or reduce) hard bottoming. That's very noticeable if you drive a FOX Live and then something else over the same section. At slower speeds on rough surfaces the solenoid will remain "open" for more compliance in the bumps.

FOX sells a ton of parts to the SxS and bicycle OEM's. How many TT's are there? How many SxS's are sold each year? How many bicycles are sold each year? Where would you spend your $$$$ ? FOX is just releasing the Live system to the mountain bike crowd and I am still waiting to find an XL frameset so that I can give it a proper test. If the FOX system works on bikes like it does the Polaris it will be the next "gotta have it" upgrade for the 2 wheel pedal powered guys and gals.

Rob Mac rumors have been around for years. Adjustable fluid / port restrictions controlled by air pressure, etc. Check balls controlled by air pressure. There are tons of rumors and some of them are probably true. He's fast no matter what but the best joke would be if he was just calling that crap out in videos to make his competition think he's got something they don't. ;)

Aloha

wayne matlock

Reaction
It works amazingly well!! I have been messing with it on my prerunner for about 6 months now, and have got it dialed in really good. I built a four seat Polaris Dynamix car with Cognito long travel suspension. We took the OEM Fox shocks off and Fox outfitted some internal bypass shocks with the Live Valve. It dramatically changed the valving specs from what we normally run because it is making changes for you, but once we got it dialed in it makes a huge difference. On the Polaris cars it takes info from the car in order to make the changes. It takes your speed, braking pressure, steering angel, and also has a sensor for pitch and yah. I will be using this system on our race cars in the near future.