Shocks

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have a single bilstein shock up front mounted in the stock location. It sucks for offroading and every wupp I hit I bounce more and more. Would a custom shock hoop with a bypass shock help any? Im running 35" tires on a 5000lb truck.

ntsqd

Reaction
IFS 2wd ? IFS 4wd ? Live axle 4wd ?

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

rdc

Reaction
Who would you recommend I go talk to about this? In So Cal.

cleartoy

Reaction
what city are you in?

As far as having a shop do it, there are many out there at differnt parts of the area.

I had the chance to look at some work that Duffco did on a friends truck last night, and it was pretty clean. They are in San Dimas.

Kreg Donahoe is up in Anaheim.

H and M is in San Marcos. As is Pro Trux.

Bypass shocks are good at what they do, but youll probably be running a very short shock on the front, and with stock arms, probably could not fit one anyways. I say maybe because ive never seen a stock armed IFS truck with them.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
What do you have suspension wise? If you have an upper and a coil then you are probably riding on the upper bumpstop or if you have torsions and your torsions are cranked...hence the bumpy crappy ride. 5100s work great unless put through too much torture for a long period of time. Make sure you are not riding on your bumstops first, then make sure you dont have a coil too big or with too big of a spring rate and then worry about expensive shocks....you will be much happier.

If everything structual wise is stock...then that is your problem...you need more for what you are doing with it...an upgraded shock with stock suspension is only going to get you so far...

you dont put 20s on a pinto and expect it to perform

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

rdc

Reaction
Ive got the torsion bars. No they arent cranked up like everyone elses to get this huge, stiff lift to were you need a kidney belt to drive on the street. They arent sitting on the lower bump stops for the compression side and I have no rebound bump stops. I think maybe I just need to get rid of the 5100's and get a different shock setup because they don't control the bounce of the vehicle at all in wupps. When im driving about 15 mph in the wupps (wupps the size of the ones going to comp hill in glamis) it bounces up and down like crazy its like I dont have shocks at all. hmmmm what should I do......

ntsqd

Reaction
I took a fellow engineer (control systems type) from work out to the Kartek 400 and it struck me just how much the dampers and the whoops make an input-output system and depending on the freq of the input you can have an under damped, over-damped, or critically damped system with the same shock valving.
If you're bouncing too much, try different speeds. One truck I've ridden in a couple times gets seriously out of shape at fairly low speeds in the rough. As in SCARY to ride in. Once it's 'up on the plane' it cruises right along and handles very well.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Control systems is an awesome field.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

rdc

Reaction
I will probably get bypass shocks put on their soon and see if that helps. It has to be better than it is now. I dont think it would be that great of an idea to try and get a 5000lb torsion bar chevy to skip across the whoops. Probably would end up deploying the air bags. It cant hurt to try I have before and it didnt work maybe the bypass shocks will help.