Shop air lines

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Make your system in a loop. Better flow, and if someone is using air ahead of you your air volume will not go down
Use .750 copper thick wall. Try to keep the turns to a minimum too.
Install air outlets all over, you will still wind up adding more as time passes
The way my shop is built I can't put the system in a loop without a whole lot of work. I will be replacing the existing PVC with as little interruption to work as possible. I have hose reels mounted on one side of my shop and the hoses will reach out the doors on the other side.

After talking to Rapid Air, I am going to put a 1.5" main line with six 3/4" drops to my reels. My cost will be a little more than $2k. There will still be some PVC that runs across a half wall that divides the main shop from our lube pit. That line supplies air to the pneumatic pumps on our oil tanks. At some point it will get replaced also.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Don’t waste time and money with copper, I did that in my last shop.

Current shop did it all with the tube used for high pressure mister systems. It’s flexible plastic (pvc?) and rated for VERY high psi (1,800 I believe).

I accidentally melted one with the heat gun when I was near it and the explosion of 160 psi air didn’t kill me. No shrapnel, nada.

You can’t beat the ease of install. Uses all push lock style fittings.

—john

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
For a follow up...

I bought tubing and connections from Rapid Air Products. I ended up running 1.5" from my compressor and for the horizontal at the top and then used 3/4" drops. I have water traps at the bottom of each drop where my hose reels are tied in which I pieced together with black threaded pipe. They sent me everything I needed to get it set up. They include a tubing cutter, deburr tool, and wrenches to tighten down the fittings. We had one small leak that we were able to fix, but other than that we have been happy with it for 4 months now.

If anyone needs to replumb the air in their shop I would highly recommend this product. I bought it through Napa.