Shop Floor / Lights

Bantle

Reaction
I have a 40' X 40' shop with 4 400 watt lights hanging from a 25' ceiling and need to get more light from it. The shop always seems dark and full of shadows and was wondering if you guys had some advice or ideas about different light bulbs / lamps? If so what would you use to replace or improve?
I think the biggest problem is the grey painted walls and the dark concrete floor, which does little to reflect light. I plan to paint halfway up the walls with white paint in hopes of gaining some light reflection and hopefully put something on the floor. After doing a couple epoxy garage floors I dont look forward to doing a 40' X 40' shop with an acid wash / epoxy mix. Although I know epoxy is better I was considering using some kind of concrete floor paint and face the reality of repainting when needed. Has anyone experienced any benefit from painting walls of a shop? What do you guys think about epoxy vs. concrete floor paint? Does anyone have any experience with painting concrete walls / floors? What paint products would you recommend? Thanks.

Shaggy

Reaction
I would do the walls. I drywalled my garage and painted it. Huge difference. I left my floor alone.

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
Since it's block/concrete walls I would just use some Kills concrete primer. That stuff is white as white can get and does an excellent job of reflecting light. Epoxy flooring is the only way to go IMO. I've used the two part behr stuff from Lowes and it served it's purpose for a few years then just turned to crap. Then I had a www.epoxyindy.com do my man cave and garage and I couldn't be happier. It's been about 5yrs and it still looks like glass. The down fall is that it's very expensive and labor intense. My garage is 850sq and it was $2300:eek: Well worth it thou.

TRichards

Reaction
With the ceiling, look into putting a T-Bar ceiling with light fixtures in the 2x4 spaces. Also insulate the top of the ceiling tiles this will help when its 115 plus. Keep an eye on craigslist or bargain trader. People are always selling used fixtures and items that have be demo'd from jobsites. Unless you are putting a mezzanine in, lower the ceiling to around 15 feet. Also painting the walls is a must. My floor is still concrete but I am looking into an epoxy later this year.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
I hung metal halide lights in my barn and the difference was literally night and day. AWESOME! Worth the effort. I then put one or two 100w halogens over work benches. Uber happy with the set up.

mebuildit

Reaction
I've started using T5 lights. They are so bright and don't use that much power either. The bulbs are only 5/8" and you can get the light fixtures in various bulb widths. I bought 5, 4 bulb T5's and it's like daytime in my garage now. They work so good, even my employer Honeywell took out every standard flouresent light fixture and replaced every one of them with T5. They said that they got a kick back from the power company plus the savings on their electric bill as well.

RaceTec Pistons

Reaction
I've started using T5 lights. They are so bright and don't use that much power either. The bulbs are only 5/8" and you can get the light fixtures in various bulb widths. I bought 5, 4 bulb T5's and it's like daytime in my garage now. They work so good, even my employer Honeywell took out every standard flouresent light fixture and replaced every one of them with T5. They said that they got a kick back from the power company plus the savings on their electric bill as well.

+1 we converted over to T5 completely and the are like looking at the the sun compaired to our old lights!!!

Scott_F

Reaction
I have been looking at getting some 4' T5 fixtures. What is the best deal out there, and what color temp do you guys use?

focusarmy

Reaction
You cant go wrong with epoxy floors. Ive been in the epoxy biz for about 5 years now. The most common things I come across is the do it yourself "Home Depot" floors. Just a fair warning it looks good for about a week and than goes to Sh*#. Dont waste your time. If your going to do it, do it right. Find someone in your area who specializes in epoxy and make sure they grind the floor NOT etch it. Etching doesnt give you a good bond like grinding the floor does. Like anything its all about the prep! Good luck on your shop!

Scott_F

Reaction
I had two metal halide lights in my shop, and I was very unhappy with the light output. I just installed 10 4' two lamp T8 fixtures, with 20 4' 32W 6500K T8 lamps, and they light up the shop like someone removed the roof at high noon. OK, I am exaggerating just a little, but I love these lights. My final cost was well under $200 total. The fixtures are $9.82 at WalMart, and the lamps are $25/10 at Home Depot. The new lighting draws the same watts as before, but puts out vastly more light. I highly recommend going this route.

Co-Dog

Reaction
I have been looking at getting some 4' T5 fixtures. What is the best deal out there, and what color temp do you guys use?
The higher numbers are better working light. They have more of the blue spectrum and appear white to the eyes. They tend to be more expensive, though. The lower numbers have more of the red spectrum and tend to be yellowish.

Don't hang T5's over your welding area, unless they are at least 20' above your head. The glare in your helmet is unbearable.

Scott_F

Reaction
Maybe you missed my last post, but I went with 6500K T8s and I am very happy with them.

manicmechanic

Reaction
I just got 9 metal halides installed if you have high ceilings it the only way to go.
9 450w M/Hs and there was light!

DZT RCR

Reaction
I also have epoxied floors for years. Nothing better really ,grinding as suggest earlier is best, but if your floor is fairly new and not already covered with oil spots, you can do fine with a good etch, but not with home depot crap, with paint flakes for a confetti look on your floor. I really like Coranado epoxys for floors. it can be tinted to most shades. Always be aware of induction time after mixing and don't try to hurry that. Go to a real paint or coating dealer and see what they have and recommend. You Cali guys have a lot of EPA restrictions we don't have in AZ, might be tough getting good products without being in the industry. Good luck

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
i've started using t5 lights. They are so bright and don't use that much power either. The bulbs are only 5/8" and you can get the light fixtures in various bulb widths. I bought 5, 4 bulb t5's and it's like daytime in my garage now. They work so good, even my employer honeywell took out every standard flouresent light fixture and replaced every one of them with t5. They said that they got a kick back from the power company plus the savings on their electric bill as well.

so how do these compare to t-12???? I've been using 2 bulb 4', and have 6 or 7 that need replaced. Do they put out more light? What about power consumption?? I have 2 metal halide, but don't even consider these, they sucked bad in my other shop years ago.. The t-12's are old school que no??

mebuildit

Reaction
I bought my T5 lights at Grainger. There are many to choose from and can get pretty expensive if you get the better ballast ones. The ones I bought though were set up for 480v to my surprise! No wonder why I got them so cheap. So I had to get some new ballasts that worked with 120v. But if you are looking for some T5 lighting and need 480v ballasts to get you going let me know. Just pay shipping and they are yours.

JimmyB.

Reaction
Im working on my garage now getting it all dialed in. Im looking for someone that does expoxy flooring on the side or even referals for good epoxy flooring companies. im located in orange,ca. I finished my rafters and now im starting on the demo of the old cabinets and getting things prepped for adding power and air then drywall. so im guessing in a month i would need the flooring. thanks

Reaction
My complaint with my epoxy floor is that it chips when I drop wrenches and hammers. There's some kind of rubberized coating out now that is more resilient.

racer56

Reaction
Im working on my garage now getting it all dialed in. Im looking for someone that does expoxy flooring on the side or even referals for good epoxy flooring companies. im located in orange,ca. I finished my rafters and now im starting on the demo of the old cabinets and getting things prepped for adding power and air then drywall. so im guessing in a month i would need the flooring. thanks

Call Matt Armstrong (805) 796-7231 or PM him, he is focusarmy on RDC. He does epoxy floors for a living and does a great job.