Shop setup/ What's in your shop?

gfyrasng

Reaction
Just wondering what you guys have as far as equipment in your shop goes. This is my third deployment (and last), and my wife and I will be moving into our first house when I get back. I currently have an 80 gal air compressor (new), Lincon mig welder (again new, can't weld yet but got 20% off) and a growing collection of hand tools. Pretty much this is all new stuff, as I only had a year between my last deployment and this one, and didn't have a garage at the time. Eventually in the next few years I'd like to have a tubing bender, grinder, press, etc.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I'm kinda in the same position as you. . .I'm working on establishing my own set-up at home. I have built one buggy completely from scratch now and worked on a few project vehicles as well.

Here's what I would suggest you add to what you already have and in the order I would add them:

-tubing bender (get this first since you already have a welder. . .you won't be paying people to bend tube for you then!)

-tubing notcher (you can use an angle grinder to notch tubing till you get a notcher)

-chop saw/metal cutting saw/cold-cut saw (you can always use an angle grinder to cut tubing to length until you get a chop saw)

-combination belt/disc grinder (I personally prefer about a 3-4" wide belt over the skinnier 1" versions. . .much more versatile)

-drill press

-plasma cutter

-hydraulic press (the kind you can use a dimple die in)

-TIG welder

then you are like 90% set-up for whatever you want, some big ticket items that are nice to have:

-sheetmetal shear/brake

-lathe

-mill

-CNC plasma table

with all of that there isn't much you can't do.

Reaction
Just wondering what you guys have as far as equipment in your shop goes. This is my third deployment (and last), and my wife and I will be moving into our first house when I get back. I currently have an 80 gal air compressor (new), Lincon mig welder (again new, can't weld yet but got 20% off) and a growing collection of hand tools. Pretty much this is all new stuff, as I only had a year between my last deployment and this one, and didn't have a garage at the time. Eventually in the next few years I'd like to have a tubing bender, grinder, press, etc.
Get back soon and safe - and thanks!

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
where do you begin LOL

21"x57" lathe with DRO
10"x54" bridgeport style mill with DRO
7x12 mitrecut bandsaw (horizontal/vertical )
18" vertical bandsaw ( metal cutting )
60 ton hyd press
Bailiegh RDB 050 bender with 4 sets of dies
oxy/act torch set
375 Miller plasma
210 Miller mig welder
200 syncorwave Miller tig welder
60 gallon vertical compressor
Dake compound arbor press
2 pedistal grinders
chop saw
sawzall
3 mini grinders
various airtools

there,s lots more just not into typing it all out LOL

and i still have tons of stuff to buy i,m a machinist by trade and have only been collecting fab tools the last few yrs , i figure another $50K to $60K and i,ll have just about all the tools i,ll ever need LOL NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL one can never have enough tools LOL

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I guess I could list what I have

-Miller 211 MIG
-sawzall (x2)
-4.5" angle grinder
-chop saw
-large assortment of hand tools
-medium duty Victor Oxyacetylene set-up
-assortment of 3/8" drive power drills

NicksTrix

Reaction
first question would be what do you plan to do? to me that dictates what is required and sets the precedence from there.
no sense in buying tools and equiptment you don't need or have room to store.
how big is your garage? do you and the wife plan to park in it at the same time while you have all your things inside?

lots of deals on places like craigslist & ebay right now. shop around and be educated on what you are buying.

thanks for your service.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Very good points. . .make sure if you are planning a shop to plan around the equipment and parking space that you need.

We are in the middle of planning a garage/shop right now and I have set aside a quarter of the total garage first floor space to be nothing but shop space and a 1/4 for toy parking (quads, motorcycles, etc.), a 1/4 for parking 1 vehicle to keep it out of inclement weather, and 1/4 to parking a project vehicle. . .total garage for me is gonna be 22' x 37', plus we are paving a 22' x 39' rollout area directly attached to the garge and annexing our storage shed to work on projects in the daylight/sunshine, store excess project vehicles, and I will do all of my tube-bending on the rollout area that way I don't have any interference issues with the tubing being too long or at weird angles.

So yeah. . .plan ahead, determine what you want to do, what you are capapble of doing, and always remember that you need to leave room to grow. . .leaving room to grow is probably the most important point, this sport is addicting and it takes LOTS of space to have a fully outfitted facility that is convenient to work in.

charlie_brown

Reaction
every one on here will have a long list. my best advise is buy the tools as you need them then you will have what you need.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
on the subjects of shop space and such if you are in the process of building build it as big as you can afford , and also take into consideration all measurements are typically outside measurements i learned this the hard way LOL my 16ft room was just under 15ft with the 6" walls and such i can,t walk around my car with the doors closed . i built 2yrs ago and made several mistakes that cost me usable floor space .

grizzlymachinetools has a cool program that you can use to figure out the floor layout in your shop , they have all kinds of templates that are scaled , machines , saws, benchs etc.

gfyrasng

Reaction
Hey thanks for all the great info and inputs guys. I've been turning wrenches for as long as I can remember, but I'm new to fabrication. I have an '89 Jeep that I'm planning on building for Jeepspeed, but first I have to get a house, lol. Hopefully in about two or three years I'll be building a shop, but until then I'll have to make do with a two car garage.

etl450

Reaction
If your going to build something, i would shoot for a 20 x 30 bay for the car to sit. This will leave plenty of room to get around for the most part, if all doors are closed. Then I would have another 20 x 20 for equipment and supplies. Now you can go smaller and larger, but this should be something that most anyone can accomidate, if they are looking at building a shop in the first place. Iv built full back half trucks in a 20 x 20 garage, with all the equipment in there, but it wasnt fun!

Alex Paterson

Reaction
I have a basic set up of tools and really the only two things for me that I would like to have would be a tube bender and a plasma. I had a tube bender but I sold it and wouldn't mind getting something in a hydro set up one day.

specialty type tools,

Miller 135 Mig but would like to have something in the 251 size

Milwaukie Chop saw- about the coolest tool I have

JD notcher

HF drill press.

all my other tools are just stuff you would have in a garage and a good set up of hand tools.

Alex

atomicjoe23

Reaction
We're working on garage/shop plans right now and this is what we are looking at:

outside dims of the garage/shop: 22' wide x 37' long with two 8' wide garage doors in front and one 8' wide garage door in back that leads to a paved 22' wide x 39' long rollout area (this is the area between where the garage/shop will be and where our storage shed is. . .this area isn't much good for much of anything else). The rollout area is where I'm gonna use the tube bender so that I don't have any intereference, EVER! I will store the tube bender in the shop and can bend in there at night if I need (doubtful since I'm planning on having floodlights for the rollout area). Since I live in Washington the garage/shop will be set-up with a built-in overhead propane shop heat/blower unit.

One quarter of the garage will be designated as shop area only and one quarter will be for toy parking (2 quads and 3 sportbikes) and then one space for parking a car during the snowy winters and a quarter permanently for some sort of project vehicle work space.

loufish

Reaction
I think it's easier to post pics then type...

I don't thinks it's in any of the photos, but I've got a 14" verticle bandsaw I bought from John Baker right after his short course effort folded...That saw had already built several winning trucks for him (Brent Foes days...) and it's still going years later...:D

Attachments

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
I think it's easier to post pics then type...

I don't thinks it's in any of the photos, but I've got a 14" verticle bandsaw I bought from John Baker right after his short course effort folded...That saw had already built several winning trucks for him (Brent Foes days...) and it's still going years later...:D

dude clean your shop it,s a pigstie LOL nice set-up what,s the footage ??

guess i should post some of mine ,let me clean it 1st LOL

Brent Foes that man built some crazy mountainbikes in the day one of the 1st to use hydroforming for the frames

gfyrasng

Reaction
Nice shop loufish :cool: That settles it, we need pix people!!! :D

5.3Ranger

Reaction
dude clean your shop it,s a pigstie LOL nice set-up what,s the footage ??

guess i should post some of mine ,let me clean it 1st LOL

Brent Foes that man built some crazy mountainbikes in the day one of the 1st to use hydroforming for the frames
Brent has built some nice stuff & does some amazing machine work! He's still at the bikes & also doing some racing with George Pondella TT#58

rharriman

Reaction
Get back soon and safe - and thanks!
I am with Ramsey, thanks...

Search for some shop posts I will post a link if I find it, there are several very nice very expensive examples of shops on this site, for what you have in mind I am sure they would be way over the top but its always nice to dream. :D

gfyrasng

Reaction
Hey thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it. Less than 5 months to go!!!