Shops in NORCAL

Big_Rich

Reaction
Ok, as I am new to Off-Road racing, I could not answer this question when poised to me earlier tooday. So I trun to the most informed people I know......YOU.....

I need to know the names and #'s of some local NorCal shops that deal with building or prepping buggies, cars, trucks, bug's etc....The question came form a possible new racer in the Sacramento/El Dorado Co. area.

Rich

www.vorra.com

JBO

Reaction
Mike Koenig who races Vorra might, he gave me his card, I think he does some fab work, race prep...not 100% sure. But I lived in Sac for a while and I don't know of any serious race shops. One of the guys at Rubicon Express in Ranco Cordova races Jeep Speed. I'm not sure if they do any race fab, mostly rockcrawling stuff.

Koenig Racing
MJKrace@aol.com

Rubiconexpress.com

Tim_Price

Reaction
You might try Tom Scahill in San Rafael, Marin County. He's built two class 8 chevys that I know of, one is raced by Keith Fontana in BITD. Sorry, no phone number, but he's probably in the big yellow book.

martininsocal

Reaction
Rich- when I lived up that way, I bought stuff from Donsco in Belmont(VW and offroad) and Bugformance(Hayward and Sacramento). A buddy of mine had a small fab shop called ORB engineering, but I don't think it is still around. Steve "wrought Iron" Reyling also did fab work up there too. There are a couple shops in the Reno area too, Scudders Performance and another shop that Bill Lott used to have in Carson City, I think it is Fibrecraft.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I don't think Mike Koenig does much fab work on the side but you could e-mail him. I have been to Tom Scahill's shop but it was a couple of years ago. Definitely give him a call. Up here there aren't that many options.

J_Dog

Reaction
There used to be a guy who was building spec trucks (like Protruck) in Sacramento. I think his shop was off Roseville Rd. by the train tracks. I went to his shop back in 1991 and 92 while I was attending Sacramento State. I do not remember his name and I never heard what happened with the shop, trucks, etc. I have always wondered. The trucks were like Class 8 style and he was building them with a jig so that parts were interchangeable and easily available. I remember him talking about a spec class they would run in.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

martininsocal

Reaction
That was Prism. They built a few of those spec trophy trucks. I believe Stobaugh had one. They were pretty nice(I beams) and worked fairly well, and cost wasn't huge. I don't know what happened to the company. sure would like to know where the jigs went.

If your gonna go, go BIG

billymanfroy

Reaction
Rich,

There's a place called Rockstar Trux in San Jose (Directly across the street from the S.J. Sharks arena) that does some AWSOME work, and it's all off-road stuff. Yes, they mostly do 48"-tired disco trucks (gotta pay the bills), but they did some great fab work on my rearend housing, and are dying to get into the more hardcore stuff. They love it, and the main fab guy, Chris, built a pretty nice prerunner from scratch in 3 weeks. Check out their site, and give them a call. They'd LOVE to hear from anyone interested in off-road in Nor-Cal. He's pretty well connected with King, SAW, Kartek, Camburg yada yada.

They happen to be in the same building as my driveshaft vendor, South Bay Driveline, which is also a top notch place and I highly recommend them as well. Ask for Steve there - he knows his stuff.

Here's Rock Star's info: (Please don't forget to tell them Billy Manfroy sent you!!!)

Rockstar Trux
Mike (owner)
Chris (fab guy)
Kevin (I don't know, but he's cool and sometimes answers the phones.)
www.sbdriveline.com
573 W. Julian St.
San Jose, CA 95110
(408) 995-6000
(408) 995-6513
Steve Johnson, General Manager
steve@sbdriveline.com

RacrDude

Reaction
Martin...believe it or not I still have all the jigs, drawings, bracket templates, etc ( including updates). What were you thinking about doing?? It would be very easy/inexpensive to build a chassis/suspension componets...it's all the "other" stuff that cost $$$/time

CODE...send me a PM if you need or want any more info.

The truck Stobaugh had (93 & 94 La Rana Champion) is now Jerry Wald's truck. I did major updates on Jerry's truck when he bought it. The other truck is owned by Brett @ King Shock.

Ken

J_Dog

Reaction
Martin,
Now that you mention it, I believe it was Prism. Very nice trucks and the owner, I think Ken on here, was very nice and let me take a look around the shop when I stopped by. I was very impressed at the time with the quality and the concept of the spec trucks.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

martininsocal

Reaction
Ken Sypolt...Right? Those chassis were great for a full size spec class and would be a great Chassis to build prerun truggies with. What would the cost be for a chassis with susoension hard pieces(no shocks/motor/trans/wheels /tires)?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG