• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shops recommended to install gears

sirhk100

I'm looking for the best deal on a shop in San Diego that can install front and rear diff gears on my Exploder. I'm hoping to have it done within 2 weeks. So far I've checked all the big places, ORW, 4WP, 4WD, PG Truck Series, MIT, and ProGear. Right now the cheapest place is PG truck series or whatever they're called. They want $1150+tax for parts and installation of front and rear. I would like to go with MIT cause of their reputation but they're $200 more. Does anyone know if PG does good work? Can I trust them to do my gears? Anyone know of any other shops and contact info? I would even be willing to take it to a mechanic for a side job if I can get references on him doing gear work. I don't want to just give my ride to some stranger and have my rearend blow up a week later!!

Thanks for any ideas or opinions on shops!!

Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I asked this same question the other day and somebody made the thread take a turn and I never got an answer, so I am interested too.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Pro gear did my gears and they did an awesome job they did it quick and for a damn good price talk to them they are good people
Dan

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

sirhk100

I just scheduled to have my gears done at MIT. I know they know what they're doing and have had them do the gears in my CJ and 3 of my friends have had them do their gears and they all came out great. I figure this probably isn't something to skimp on. Who cares if the extra money means I don't get the front end for an extra month. It's better to have it done right the first time!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

dezertchick

Off-Road Chassis did my gearing, located in Lake Elsinore...Bill has a cool shop behind his house, did a quick job and also some other repairs to my truck.... 909.678.1029

Dylan

I don't know the shops in that area but I will say that this is not an area to skimp on. It's not a trivial task to install gears and a lot of people just thow them in there without spending the time to achieve a good contact pattern. I had the first set of gears for my toy intaled buy what I thought was a reputable shop.they lasted 9k miles. the next 2 times I installed a preasembled 3rd menber from a "reputable" gear company, they lasted about 10k miles. my current set of gears I installed myself, it took a lot of time to get the pattern I wanted but there still in there. (I also swaped the 22R for a 4.3 vortec at about the same time drasticly increasing the punishment on the gears)

spend the money and do it right

sirhk100

Yeah, I've decided the exact same thing. I'm spending a little more going to MIT but we've put 20,000 on our CJ7 and they did those gears and I have 2 other friends that have had them do their gears. They are nationally known for their work and offer a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty. Out of all the shops I know of they have the best reputation and I feel the most comfortable so I'll spend the extra money and have them do it. It's going in Monday morning and they say it'll be done Monday evening cause they'll stick one person on each axle.
Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
From what 4 wheel parts has told me they guaranty there work for life. Maybe they mean the life of the gears, what ever that ends up being.... MIT is also a good place I am sure.

Tony