shortening overall length of air bumps

mattrick88

Reaction
I did a search and this topic came up but never got totally answered. I have an a arm ranger and would like to mount bumps in front and will be mounting them off the side of the frame to hit the lower arm. After doing some measuring i need the over all length of the bump to be around 10". This would require the entire body of the bump, in conjunction with the shaft, to be shortened. Has anyone ever done this? I emailed Sway A Way but would like to hear advice from you guys as well.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Don't count on Sway Away for much help. I have asked a few times and got half arse answers. Contact a fab shop who uses and tunes them often...they should have some advice for you, or you could have the can and shaft machined to your specs...but you are looking at at least an additional 300+ on top of the bumps alone.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

Dylan

Reaction
Yes
I shortened the bumps on the front of Turners 7 open ranger when I used to work at SAW. The easiest way if you can keep the original can is to add an additional overlap spacer or 2 inside. The stock bumps have one 1” spacer already, you can add an additional 1 or 2 spacers to shorten the extension of the bump in 1” increments. If you can't live W/ the stock can you will need to modify both the can and the shaft. Its not to hard but you do need a lathe and a TIG welder.
I have extra overlap spaces in stock for that very reason. Feel free to call me tomorrow at work:
Donahoe Racing 714-632-3033
Dylan ext.29

“Those of you who think you know so much really annoy those of us who do!”

hbprnstr

Reaction
camburg shortens all the aribumps for the tacoma kit depending on the ride hieght you want with internal shims. takes only a few minutes for them to do and you are set. just go see jerry or jason and they can hook you up.

sirhk100

Reaction
PM a guy on here with the user name bomber52. He's from Johanesburg South Africa. Don't laugh yet. I got a set of bumps from him. They measure a little over 9" from the tip of the schraeder valve to the end of the bump pad. They have a 2" stroke. I got mine as a test set for a project at work. If I remember right they were $110 a piece plus shipping to Cal. which was around $100. That's around $320 for the pair. By the way he said they would build them to any length needed for that cost. Good luck buying a set and paying to have them modified for even close to that price. The cans are a regular 2" OD so your typical bump stop holders will work with them. They basically look like mini bilstein bumps. I honestly havn't installed mine yet (next weekend hopefully) so I can't tell you how they work but PM me ocassionally and I'll get back to you once I test them. If you want I'll try to get some pics of them for you or depending on where you are and where you go to the desert I'll bring them ourt and you can check them out in person if curious. Also if you want I think I can email you some pics of the reservoirs and bypass shocks that they build just so you can get an idea of their work. Ohh duh, I never said the name of the company. They're called "Radflo". I've got the guys email address and phone number also if you want it. PM me or reply and I'll try to get any info you want if interested.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

mattrick88

Reaction
khris,
he had already sent me an email today. i am glad to hear the quality is good, that was what i was hoping for. that is also a very affordable price. i would really like to see some pics of them, as well as the shocks he builds. i wont be out to the dezert until the middle of december so hopefully youll have some pics before then. the ones you got sound exactly what i need! thanks for the info.

email me at mattrick8888@hotmail.com

sirhk100

Reaction
I'll have to take some pics of the bumps, they're on my workbench in the garage. Check your email in a couple minutes I'll forward the pics if I still have them.... I'll see if I can get some pics this weekend and email them to you also.

Khris

sirhk100

Reaction
Shoot, I deleted the pics off my email account... I'll see if I have them saved on my other computer when I get a chance. I'll for sure get some pics of the bumpstops for you though. I'll email them to you this weekend or maybe even on Friday. Austin (fish) has seen my bumps and I think he was impressed with them too, like I said they're basically just mini bilsteins.

Ask Glen to email you some pics of his shocks, that's where I got the shock pics from.

Khris

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yup I have seen them...if you put them next to a bilstein or fox and took the stickers off you would know the difference besides one is shorter than the other...the can itsself is shorter not just the stroke. Thats whats cool about them.

Now we just have to see how they hold up! lol

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, I'm sure they'll see some action being in the back of the Exploder. Talk about some weight!!!!! Imagine when I got 5 people in there with the full cooler jumping devils slide. Hell last time I bent the crap outta the frame and ripped the shocks out. Gotta get it boxed in at the same time I do the bumps for sure!!!!!! I'm glad I got access to that plasma now with the optical eye so all I gotta do is make construction board templates cause it would suck to draw in autocad.

Khris

DPpatrol

Reaction
post those pics of the bumps on this thread kris. i wanna see em. you ever get your cage?

jason

sirhk100

Reaction
I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

No havn't done the cage yet... Gonna get my eyes lasered then I'll be saving for the cage. Wouldn't it suck though if I take the money, get my eyes done, then roll the Exploder!!!! Especially considering my eyes will be around $2G and the cage is about the same!!!

Khris

sirhk100

Reaction
umm, I'll try to post the pictures here. If you can't view them look on my profile, click on the homepage, then on the explorer folder. Their the last pictures on the second page.

[image]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ce69ecd2/bc/Explorer/__hr_Bump 1.jpg?bcvKr19ArtGImuoa[/image]

[image]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ce69ecd2/bc/Explorer/__hr_Bump 2.jpg?bcvKr19AOscmCgQb[/image]

Khris

Okay, what did I do wrong with the image post?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sirhk100 on 11/16/02 12:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

sirhk100

Reaction
Okay, I guess you can just copy and paste the addresses above into your browser w/o the bracketed image parts...

Sorry, I"m an idiot when it comes to this internet stuf.

Khris

SDranger

Reaction
maybe this will work http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ce69ecd2/bc/Explorer/Bump+1.jpg?bcexn_9AtakFAjKK

i couldnt make the pics work either, so dont feel bad. lol

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

sirhk100

Reaction
No problem. I don't know if you can make out the tape measure but it's right at 9" on the extended one and 7" on the collapsed one. I'll be installing those this weekend in the back of my Exploder since I have to redo the shocks again now!!!!

Khris

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Got any pics of your Exploder? My buddy just had his done by McNeil. Its pretty nice. You have coilovers in front with the 9100's?

See ya in the dirt!

sirhk100

Reaction
No, just buckets with 9100s and bumps up front running a eibach coil. Click on my name/profile thing and check out the homepage. There's two pages of pics there of the Explorer at different stages. Some with the beams and radius arms, others with the complete front end. Some of the rear, and I'll post more of the rear once I get it done this weekend. What did Perry do to your friends?

Khris