• Forum membership has its advantages....

Should 1450 be a PRO class?

Should 1450 transition to a Pro class?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

C.J. Hutchins

What does everyone think of making 1450 into a pro class? Yes, I know the class was originally setup for low budget homebuilt trucks, however today many of the trucks are just a step under a TT. There aren't any 30k competitive trucks in the class anymore. We would still have an unlimited sportsmen truck class, but I think many would want to race the 1450 Pro class.

Pro's
Payback
Qualifying (when applicable)
You get to tell your buddys you are Pro.

Cons
???

D-Munoz1472

I think it's a great idea, A lot of the current guys want to go pro. Most races (BAP, Night Races, RATR) 1450 has very high vehicle counts so pay back would look good.

EOR1488

Our team definitely feels the same. we have no problem it being a pro class. increase in fee, mileage etc we would be happy with. That portion always bugged me when the class is bigger and faster then 3000, 8, HM, 7 but those guys were running more miles. Anyways we would be in for sure.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
IDK, its hard for me to see the pros out way the only con i see which is higher entry fee. The only true pro to me would be more miles when applicable. I could go either way I guess.

cubed

Why not just get a group together and race in Heavy metal, its already a pro class?

Dirtracer 619

Yea no kidding a heavy metal trophy would be cool! Should be the natural progression for the super fast type 1450 trucks

Plus think of the bragging rights sitting around the table.

"Yea they wont let me race my truck in1450 anymore and bounced me to Heavy Metal. And won that!!"

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

scottm

I think the popularity of 1450 shows how much people like the almost unlimited rules. Enforcement of strict rules is supposed to lead to closer racing, but it also leads to protests and DQ's over silly crap like 1/4 inch of wheelbase or running the wrong kind of gas. On the other hand, sportsman classes were supposed to be a less competitive class for fun and lower budgets. When a few guys run tt speeds and most entries have no chance of winning, why would they want to pay higher entry fees for someone else to collect?

Last edited:

J Prich

No dog in this fight but as noted...fast guys looking to elevate their program and race for payback, etc can go HM and let the up and comers stick to 1450. My worthless opinion...

EOR1488

I think the popularity of 1450 shows how much people like the almost unlimited rules. Enforcement of strict rules is supposed to lead to closer racing, intended to level the playing field, but it also leads to protests and DQ's over silly crap like 1/4 inch of wheelbase or running the wrong kind of gas. On the other hand, sportsman classes were supposed to be a less competitive class for fun and lower budgets. When a few guys run tt speeds and most entries have no chance of winning, why would they want to pay higher entry fees for someone else to collect?
A few hundred dollars in Entry fee is the least expensive part of racing. If it meant some payback and some more miles I think it's good. who cares who collects it if you're not winning races now you won't be then, either way it doesn't matter.

dezert_nerd

I don't understand why no one ever adopted the MDR rules for 1400/1450 after their falling out. They had it all figured out and it worked perfectly as far as I know. 1400 was essentially a Pro class while 1450 remained a Sportsman class. Rules were the same between the 2 classes with the only difference being cost of entry fee, running more or all laps vs. half, and payback at the races as well as at the end of the year for 1400.

The fast guys with bigger budgets would eventually transfer over to 1400 while slower and more budget-minded racers would stay in 1450. You'd essentially split the class up but who cares? The race organization would make more money over the same number of entries if there wasn't a Pro 1400/1450 class to begin with, the races would be more competitive and even out the playing field, and more racers would show up knowing they don't have to race a bunch of fast (or slower) trucks. At the end of the day, what do you have to lose?

Personally, I feel you guys are beating a dead horse. This should have been done a long time ago.

Wright602

I second MDR's rule about 1400/1450. Either that or sack up and race TT.
It the same with any sport you can compete in, amateur or pro division... if you are always on top or one of the best in AM, time to set up to pro.

D-Munoz1472

Transferring to Heavy Metal will not be a popular vote. People that race 1450 race it because of its background, history of the class, and the people who race in it. I don't see racers wanting to throw away their 1450 number.

I agree the 1400/1450 split would be a great choice, current racers that want to go pro get to keep a 14 number, it stays the same class just 1400-1449 are pro and 1450-1499 are sportsman. I don't think any new rules would need to be put in place, everyone basically agrees on the steel cab and working doors rule.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
The race organization would make more money over the same number of entries if there wasn't a Pro 1400/1450 class to begin with,
How so? Help us understand. Thanks.

dezert_nerd

How so? Help us understand. Thanks.
Currently, for RATR, there are 51 drivers signed up for 1450 paying a $455 entry fee. The entry fee breaks down as $160 for entry, $170 for Insurance, $85 for land use, and $40 for admin fees. We'll say SNORE gets back $160 seeing as the rest of the entry goes towards other things. $160x51= $8,160.

If SNORE were to adopt a class/rule system similar to MDR's 1400/1450 rules, then 1400 would fall under a pro class, and hopefully, in a perfect world, half of the class would transition over to 1400. 1400 would adopt pro entry fees probably similar to what classes HM, 8, and 7 are paying, $705. That being broke down is $375 for entry, $35 for a points fund, and the rest is all the same across the board (including points fund not applicable to 1450 and other sportsman classes.) $375x25= $9,375.

With that being said you have an increase of $5,375 with the addition of 1400 as a Pro class. The only thing I could anticipate where SNORE would lose money is if they decided to add another Heat to races such as BAP and RATR for 1400 specifically. And you can say that the only way this will happen is in a perfect world, like I mentioned above, where half of 1450 moved over to 1400. I personally think that perfect world is reality at this point in time.

If its being talked about here from a established official within SNORE, I feel enough racers within 1450 have since voiced their opinion and are for this change. If it was just a couple guys tossing the idea around, I don't think this would be that big of an issue and none of us would be talking about it right now.

Freedogger

Just an idea...

What about a "1450 amateur" class and a "1450 pro" class?

After "X" amount of wins in the "1450 amateur" class you MUST move up to the "1450 pro" class.

"1450 amateur" has lower entry and no payback
"1450 pro" has higher entry with payback and faster drivers/equipment.

And if you want to jump right in with the "1450 pro" class you can without "X' amount of wins..... but you cannot return to the "1450 amateur" once you have joined the "Pro" ranks.

Yellow background with black numbers for the amateurs and white background with black numbers for the Pro's.

Both classes still run in the same heat.......just so the amateurs can brag when they pass the Pro's. Pro's obviously would start first in that heat.

Last edited:

dezert_nerd

Just an idea...

What about a "1450 amateur" class and a "1450 pro" class?

After "X" amount of wins in the "1450 amateur" class you MUST move up to the "1450 pro" class.

"1450 amateur" has lower entry and no payback
"1450 pro" has higher entry with payback and faster drivers/equipment.

And if you want to jump right in with the "1450 pro" class you can without "X' amount of wins..... but you cannot return to the "1450 amateur" once you have joined the "Pro" ranks.

Yellow background with black numbers for the amateurs and white background with black numbers for the Pro's.

Both classes still run in the same heat.......just so the amateurs can brag when they pass the Pro's.
Same concept as 1400/1450 with the addition of not allowing Pro racers back into Amateur ranks.

Yes, all the way, go for it!

ACME

Why not have 2 classes and a transfer system like D-37 or MX etc... Win 3 times in a season or 6 times over a few seasons and your bumped up to the higher class; PERIOD. Competitors self police it and bring the issue to the org in advance if a guy tries to race down in the same equipment.

cubed

Heavy metal rules:
Two of three items must be of same manufacturer (frame/motor/body
Engine does not need to match vehicle type and may be re-positioned but must remain in front of driver/co driver

Nothing else about the frame
On edit
you are right I missed the 2/3 frame rails at the bottom.....

Last edited: