• Forum membership has its advantages....

Should 1450 be a PRO class?

Should 1450 transition to a Pro class?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

nimrod

KOOK!
Why not do like BITD does in TT and put up a side pot? $100.00 each. Doesn't change the designation to pro but I'm sure the promoters would consider more miles if you asked.

Giant Geoff

There is no reason to make a sportsman class Pro class, there are plenty of pro classes if people choose. Why take away the one and only sportsman class? The nice thing about this class is no one gets in fights when the entry count is high like a pro class does when there is a large purse to be upset over. The sportsman class carry such a more friendly vibe to help one another. It should never be tampered with. I will see this type thread pop up and another 3 to 5 years like always.

Giant Geoff

Why not do like BITD does in TT and put up a side pot? $100.00 each. Doesn't change the designation to pro but I'm sure the promoters would consider more miles if you asked.
We have been for since the class started.

bobsson

Why not just get a group together and race in Heavy metal, its already a pro class?
I agree with this, keep 1450 an amateur/Sportsman class and move the guys who want to be pros to HM/Class 8.

While some guys are right about no 30k 1450 trucks are likely to be class Champs, it's easier to build a 1450 in your garage than a pro class vehicle like TT or Class 1.

Zac Reish

I personally could careless what happens to 1450. Some of these trucks are very impressive. And the drivers of them are some of the best in the sport. The class as a whole should decide. What I do have a problem with is starting behind a sportsman class being in a pro class. Especially when they do less laps, make an impenatrable cloud of dust, can't see us or hear us, the pac man bumpers rear will smash our hood if we try to nerf them, and again its a sportsman class. They say its a safety issue but when 16 and class 12 start in front of the trucks thats pure BS. Sorry for the Rant. From the sidelines these race trucks look nothing like a sportsman class.

Jerry

There was a meeting after the drivers meeting with the 1400 guys. Looks like a lot want it to go Pro. There is an email going out to this effect and I believe its going pro from the consensus. I personally think its probably better to stay sportsman but what do I know. More laps would be good for some of us but not so good for others.

I like the Heavy Metal Idea but no one will make the jump. The additional entry will be an issue for some, I think. I believe many didn't speak up and appose the change to pro because they didn't want to argue the point.

I will just conform to whatever everyone wants.

PAB

40's rock!
I think 1450 should remain sportsman.....the whole field should be inverted day 2 at Rage to make it more fair. Why just invert the 6 fast guys. They should have to pass the entire field if they started in the front day one. It makes it pretty technical and fun.

I think it's a mistake to allow trucks without working doors and a steel cab. I also think frame rail should be a part of it but I think that ship has sailed.

Why ruin a good thing any more than it already has been. If you want to race pro, with fiberglass cabs and all tube chassis then race 7200 (6cyl), 6100 (sealed V8) or come man up in TT (unlimited). There are already 3 classes for pros with this equipment to to come race. I don't know how I did the smaller print...????

You guys are working on eliminating the core values of a class that has been fun to watch and occasionally take part in. Why take the fun out of it. If I showed up with a tube chassis, race prepped truck with a real engine why would I race 1450?

I race 1450 to race with everyone but I think the big spend trucks need to go elsewhere. Sorry for those that don't agree. You can have qualifying and payback without being PRO. Lean on the org for equal rights qualifying and do a $250 side bet for those that want to and now you have a purse.

The orgs should in my opinion really look at the cages and safety of the trucks IMO and all should have flame out or fire containment.

Okay I'm out, sorry if some of you don't like it.

Darren187

as a 1400 racer, and being actively racing in the 1400 class for 5 years, I'd say that our progression is insane. With our speed and suspension advancements, the components required to maintain the level of performance we're running at, still aren't at par, mostly due to our wanting the knar speed, but not considering (or being able to fund) the required parts to maintain it. (there are the exceptions, of the elder racers with big budgets) With that fact in mind, the idea of our trucks on course for an extra lap, at any race is almost laughable. This year's field at RATR was damn impressive, and the outcome was how you'd wish any class would end up with the top 5 within seconds of each other (do agree with PAB on a flipped start, that would be fun). but that's it, you would only have the support of the top 15 trucks going to pro, the other 36 truck's DGAF and want the cheaper entry, and less expensive races (with the logistics in mind of what it would take to make it the extra laps). At the desert races, its straight up a safety concern with starting position, when the top trucks are catching 9 cars at over 40mph difference. WE NEED to be bumped up in starting position. I'm passing 20+ cars first lap at every desert race, but understand the issue of the slower class trucks holding pro cars up.. HM would rule out 80% of the trucks with the engine to chassis matching rules, or we (top 10-15) would already be there. kind of scattered thoughts here, but some of my input-

WFODAN

With the simple 1400(Pro)/1450(Sportsman) split (MDR's version) the problem was solved. The faster trucks moved up not only to a Pro Class (1400) racing for payback and doing all laps/miles, but also improved their starting position as a class by starting in front of many of the slower "Pro Classes" that 1450 usually started behind. It is very simple and would solve the majority of the discussion at hand.

offroadracer516

Yes it should. You guys put a billion dollars into these trucks. But pay an entry fee that's less then a class 11??? Kind of insane. Qualifying and payback to the winner is worth the extra few hundred dollars.

J Prich

Pretty much you should just do whatever @WFODAN says, LOL!

SpeedBump

I like the Heavy Metal Idea but no one will make the jump.
This is easy to handle in the tech inspection line before each race.
A self-appointed group of busybodies should hang bags of sand from the back bumper on any registered 1450 racers that they believe should move up to 1400 (Heavy Metal).
HM would rule out 80% of the trucks with the engine to chassis matching rules, or we (top 10-15) would already be there.
Heavy Metal only has 2 rules:
SCR23 Engine and Engine Displacement
Engine does not need to match vehicle type and may be re-positioned but must remain in front of driver/co driver

SCR48 Chassis and Body
Frame must retain 2/3 of frame rails

Heavy Metal should be changed to 1400 and the 2/3 frame requirement dropped.
All current 1450 racers will be legal in 1400.
Class 1450 is Sportsman.
Class 1400 is Pro.

Jerry

I think 1450 should remain sportsman.....the whole field should be inverted day 2 at Rage to make it more fair. Why just invert the 6 fast guys. They should have to pass the entire field if they started in the front day one. It makes it pretty technical and fun.

I think it's a mistake to allow trucks without working doors and a steel cab. I also think frame rail should be a part of it but I think that ship has sailed.

Why ruin a good thing any more than it already has been. If you want to race pro, with fiberglass cabs and all tube chassis then race 7200 (6cyl), 6100 (sealed V8) or come man up in TT (unlimited). There are already 3 classes for pros with this equipment to to come race. I don't know how I did the smaller print...????

You guys are working on eliminating the core values of a class that has been fun to watch and occasionally take part in. Why take the fun out of it. If I showed up with a tube chassis, race prepped truck with a real engine why would I race 1450?

I race 1450 to race with everyone but I think the big spend trucks need to go elsewhere. Sorry for those that don't agree. You can have qualifying and payback without being PRO. Lean on the org for equal rights qualifying and do a $250 side bet for those that want to and now you have a purse.

The orgs should in my opinion really look at the cages and safety of the trucks IMO and all should have flame out or fire containment.

Okay I'm out, sorry if some of you don't like it.

Thanks for the input Cameron.
You're kinda a big deal and your input matters.

Jerry

Yes it should. You guys put a billion dollars into these trucks. But pay an entry fee that's less then a class 11??? Kind of insane. Qualifying and payback to the winner is worth the extra few hundred dollars.
The qualifying was incredibly fun! Really, really bummed I couldn't actually see how slow we were though.

It took forever and I was envious of those that got do overs but it was fun nonetheless.

Ghost Ranger 77

1400 Pro Class 1450 Sportsman.. If you make it strictly pro you will loose people. I know you guys talked about it being only $200 more at the drivers meeting.. thats a make or break for a lot of people...

offroadracer516

The qualifying was incredibly fun! Really, really bummed I couldn't actually see how slow we were though.

It took forever and I was envious of those that got do overs but it was fun nonetheless.
That qualifying course is a blast. I love doing it every year in my 1600 car.

junbug

This is easy to handle in the tech inspection line before each race.
A self-appointed group of busybodies should hang bags of sand from the back bumper on any registered 1450 racers that they believe should move up to 1400 (Heavy Metal).

Heavy Metal only has 2 rules:
SCR23 Engine and Engine Displacement
Engine does not need to match vehicle type and may be re-positioned but must remain in front of driver/co driver

SCR48 Chassis and Body
Frame must retain 2/3 of frame rails

Heavy Metal should be changed to 1400 and the 2/3 frame requirement dropped.
All current 1450 racers will be legal in 1400.
Class 1450 is Sportsman.
Class 1400 is Pro.
the guys wanting more miles an a pro class should race HM it would be great to have more in that class come on guys lets get some of those trucks in HM

C.J. Hutchins

Thanks everyone for your input, we will do whatever the racers decide, I like the idea of changing the dead heavy metal class to 1400.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
1400 Pro Class 1450 Sportsman.. If you make it strictly pro you will loose people. I know you guys talked about it being only $200 more at the drivers meeting.. thats a make or break for a lot of people...
Plus more fuel costs for the extra miles or laps.