should brabec stay with honda?

randy s

Reaction
how much is too much regarding brand loyalty? at this point, a deal from KTM or huskie might be the way to go..what do you guys think?

mrlentle

Reaction
I'm always a fan of the underdog. Stick with Honda and really prove your mettle, not be another dude who won on a KTM.
Bigger achievement if they can pull it off though I get where you guys are coming from too.

bajaherbie

Reaction
Honda's F1 program has been hit or miss... mostly miss. 2018 was better, next year Max Verstappen and new team mate Pierre Gasley's Redbull cars will be Honda powered. Gasley moves up from the Toro Rosso team( Honda powered in 2018). Daniel Riccicardo bailed at Redbull and signed with Renault.

Nothing to do with the dirt bike program but somewhat interesting.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

MKR44

Reaction
I though in the DAKAR threads , Honda (HRC) could do no wrong? and their new SxS in the hands of HRC will dominate all of SxS racing. There is plenty of racing that Honda does not win at currently.

MX304

Reaction
I hope he stays with Honda and gets a win with them. At the same time, I really wouldn't blame him if he took a KTM offer.

Bull-dust

Reaction
KTM looks fully full house at the moment - unless Price has to retire with a permanent hand injury.
Husqvarna and Yamaha are probably the best alternatives for (non Honda or KTM) established teams.

If a rider was looking away from the Euro rally raid domination (Brabec said he trained on his own and almost never saw the Euro team members). Start his own team with Kawasaki (or maybe Suzuki). and put on the US bike components - woody's wheel works etc.
Kawasaki

Hendricus

Reaction
Honda is right there! Stay with Honda and get 'er done! Race and test that engine a lot in 2019! Get it right. Win the Dakar.

PathfinderCS

Reaction
The Honda is a glass canon. It's undeniably fast, but has a tendency to break. I still see Joan Barreda as the man most likely to be the first non-KTM rider to get the win in the future, BUT after his performance this year I'd say Brabec is right behind him with van Beveren and Quintanilla.

That said; how much support would Ricky get at KTM? And what's to say that Yamaha & Husqvarna would be the greatest of fits for him? Seems like Honda has a lot of trust in him, and it'd be best if he repays that. It can reap a lot of dividends in the future.

Honda will win. It took Toyota a while; you see. :p

Reaction
The sooner Honda wins Dakar, the sooner Honda leaves Dakar.

MKR44

Reaction
KTM- Husky, tomato-tamatoo. I'm sure Johnny has a much better scoop on the logistics , failure for RB.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I would like to see him stay with Honda. I honestly believe that his bike was sabotaged. TWICE! Of course I have no way of proving it, it is just a gut feeling I have. Year after year we see some crazy things at Dakar that benefit the European based teams and companies. Rule changes at the last minute this year in regards to RG's program that put them out of any contention in their class. Brabec's suspension settings were clearly jacked with while he was asleep. And then I think someone slipped into their camp and either loosened his air filter or deposited some sand into the inside of the filter. It could have been an inside job also. It looks to me like security cameras and 24 hour security guards will need to be in place next year!

So while I would like to see someone beat KTM for a change, I also wouldn't blame Ricky for going to KTM if they offered it to him. It appears to me that Honda could treat him better and really make him part of the team instead of an outsider. I saw in an interview where he totally feels like he isn't really part of the team. Maybe that will change now that he has shown them that he would have won the race if the bike hadn't broken. There was no way, unless he had crashed, which I don't believe he would have, that he would not have won when his bike broke!

Nessy

Reaction
Ricky confirmed today that someone messed with his bike during the marathon stage.
Is this regarding the suspension or motor? Also didn't the motor fail in the later stages of the rally last year? If Honda is actually having a hard time making these motors live I would consider leaving if I was him.

Bricoop

Reaction
Is this regarding the suspension or motor? Also didn't the motor fail in the later stages of the rally last year? If Honda is actually having a hard time making these motors live I would consider leaving if I was him.
The suspension is all I heard (I tuned in late). Who knows what could have been done to the engine (or added to it) to grenade it. <--Speculation

An engine DNF seems strange for a top rider.

Nessy

Reaction
An engine DNF seems strange for a top rider.
I agree but since it happened 2 years in a row I am curious what failed and why. Honda doesn't seem to have this issue in Baja but it is a lot less mileage.
Many of my dirt bike riding buddies abandoned Honda years ago because of all the maintenance on the heads, Honda may have fixed it by now but none of them have switched back.

TMorford

Reaction
Ricky said someone cranked his fork tubes all the way in on one side and all the way out on the other as well as messed with the rear shock, all of which had flathead screwdriver scars. He didn't really say much about the motor other than he didn't think it was tampered with.

His comments about the ASO were interesting because he was so transparent about it, but not really shocking because it was the same thing that RG has said in the past.