Should I do anything special?

sirhk100

I pulled my leaf pack (deaver) apart tonight so that I can cycle my rear end and redo my rear shock mounts properly as well as get some limit straps in. While the pack is apart is there anything special I should do to them? I'm going to wipe them down and get off the loose dirt/rust but other then that anything I should know?

Drtdevil?

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

cleartoy

Grease em!

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ntsqd

I'd be looking at Posies spring liner material. Wouldn't grease attract dirt ?

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Grease is only suggested for springs prepped every race. Friction or "sticktion" in leaf spring terms is your worst enemy. Get some anti friction pads to slap between the leafs....or send them to Deaver to be prepped, they do an excellent job.

Kris

BlueCoyote

Tried the grease thing once - what a mess.
Grease + desert dust = messy abrasive
In additoin to adding pads, another suggestion is to paint the leaves with a graphite paint. Will allow for leaf sliding with out attracting and retaining dirt.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

drtdevil93

DONT GREASE THEM! greasing will help for about 10 seconds, then it will collect dust and become liquid pumice and eat up the springs. i suggest buffing them with a light sanding wheel, and if you want put some dry graphite film spray on. that spray actually dries, so as not to collect dirt, but it is still very temporary to the tune of a couple hundred miles. if you want you could bring them to me at the shop and ill prep them.

erik

sirhk100

Yeah, I've never been up on that greasing thing... Never made any sense to collect dirt in your leafs. Thanks for the info. They still worked great and I don't really have the time or way to get them up to you. I'll hit them lightly with a palm sander to knock off the dirt/rust that has accumulated in them a little bit.

Thanks for the info....

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

ntsqd

Can't say I've had real good luck on other apps with the dry film lube. In gunsmith terminology I gave my Hi-Lift an 'action job' and used moly based dry film 'paint' on all of the mating - sliding parts. Now I'm thinking of trying some of the MTB chain wax. Wonder how long something like that would stay on a leaf spring ?

TS

hbprnstr

Is there any suggestion on how to eliminate the squeaking noise that the bushings make or is that just something i have to get used to?

ntsqd

On urethane bushings I've been told to use the silicone grease that Energy Suspension sells. Baker sells the same stuff for more. Put it on the urethane ANYWHERE it will contact metal. Don't be sparing with it, slather it on, then wipe off what oozes out after everything is completely assembled.
It will either squeak right away (In which case I have no answer other than get another bushing) or it will squeak at the end of the bushing's life span. Makes it sort of a wear indicator.

TS

drtdevil93

usually when urethane squeaks, it is do to improper prep. the eye it is going in should be cleaned thoroughly with emery cloth. i always use marine grease very generously, and just make sure no dirt gets in, and that all moving surfaces get greased.

erik

84toy

THATS GOOD TECHNIQUE, BUT MARINE GREASE GIVES ME A RASH. IT SEEMS FUNNY, BUT I USUALLY JUST USE PETROLEUM JELLY. THERES A SPECIAL ON IT AT COSTCO RIGHT NOW.

Jason

drtdevil93

the dry graphite film seems to be working pretty good for us. it depends on a lot of things, but after the baja 500, i took note of it. most of the springs had just a little bit of the DGF left on them, and in wear areas (the ends of the leafs) it was almost completely worn away. for a serious team, springs need to be prepped hopefully every race, and at least every other race. one thing to consider, is ya, the spring can last a whole season without prepping, but the last couple races, you are hanging by a thread, and if they do make it you get to buy a new pair for the next season, whereas a spring prepped regularly ive seen last as long as 3 seasons. and you can get them prepped free! you just have to win your class (thats easy, isnt it?!!)

erik

motoxscott

When you guys (Deaver) prep the springs, what all are you doing? Do you guys clean them up, give a light sanding and repaint them and call it a day.......

I'm just curious.

Donahoe

They make sweet love to them!!!! check them for cracks. hit them with a hammer and listen to the ring! (thats a secret) Sand them, Buff them, new bushings,new pads, then paint...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

drtdevil93

kreg- race spring dont get pads anymore. i think pads are for GIRLS!

1 we dis assemble them
2 buff out each spring (this is when i inhale large amounts of carcinogens, wahoo!)
3 inspect for cracks and examine stress stress areas where cracks my form later.
4 we spray them with DGF
5 install new bushings
6 refit them, work out any kinks or flat spots
7 reassemble them, and paint them

we then take them to a local spa, where they are bathed, massaged and relaxed. lastly a leader of each major religion puts a blessing on them.

ok, i made up the last part

erik

Tom_Willis

Try the old fashioned method. Offer to share your feelings with them . The trick here is you can make it all up, just keep a straight face when you do it, like when talking to a cop. Then, unfortunately, you are required to ask them THEIR feelings. You don't really need to listen, just as long as you appear to listen. A yawn is a dead give away, don't do it. The five most important words you can say to them are "oh really, tell me more". And remember their birthday, too. That little tip will save you from having to do something like going to the mall with them. And wear a glove. No glove, no love..... And lastly, never put your hands where you wouldn't put your face.