Should light buggies start mixed with heavy metal

Should Light buggies start mixed with Full size heavy metal TT. TTspec, and Class 1

• Total voters

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Figured I would start a poll so we can find out what the majority thinks.

Light buggie are anything with rear engine and lighter cage that could not take a good punt from a 6k lb or more vehicle. Class 10 and smaller would fit into that category, for sure UTV's

Heavy metal is TT, TTspec, Class 1, and U4,

There have been a few races were the starting order was from qualifying where light buggies qualified all together with heavy metal. Clearly light buggies have an advantage over heavy trucks in tight qualifying courses. Because of this they end up starting high in the start order but can not generally race as fast on the desert course.

There are two parts to this. First the safety of the light buggy and second the added challenge of the passing heavy vehicle to get around that light buggy without damaging them.

Safety I think is obvious.

The factor of having to get around a light buggy seems to be less understood. Lets say you have 10 6100 trucks starting a race and behind P3 is a C10 and behind P6 is another C10. The trucks behind the C10 once in the desert will be held up trying to get aournd the C10 clean. They can not charge thru the dust and nerf them if they do not move. We have plenty of images and cases where that did not work out well for the C10. So the responsible 6100 will have to wait and work harder to get around that C10. The trucks that have other 6100 trucks in front of them can race as usual and make passes.

So you are giving certain random 6100 trucks a handicap and a challenge that the other trucks in the class do not have.

Personally I do not think its OK to add in some random penalty for certain 6100 trucks. But lets see what the rest of you think.

Mike

Advertising supports this site

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
Actually Jerry I thought it deserved a thread of its own and would be helpful to see the consensus. The other threads are about a specific race not this subject. And having a thread where 4 people argue back and forth isn't helpful.

What if most of the people vote mix them up. That would change my position if I knew My position was not the majority.

And for now on I will PM you to see if you approve of any thread I make. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your valuable input.

Mike

Last edited:

JerryB

RDC Crypto
That would change my position if I knew My position was not the majority.
This is the thing Mike, it's okay to have your opinion, as I mentioned in another one of the arguments, errrr "threads" keep your opinion if you feel strongly about it, I respect it, don't change it just to fit in with "the majority."

You're not gonna convince me to like coconut

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
This is the thing Mike, it's okay to have your opinion, as I mentioned in another one of the arguments, errrr "threads" keep your opinion if you feel strongly about it, I respect it, don't change it just to fit in with "the majority."

You're not gonna convince me to like coconut

Jerry, the purpose of this thread is to get a consenses, not to change anyone's mind. I think most have followed along the debate and understand each side of the argument.

You can like Coconut. Haha

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
Anyone who likes coconut is wrong.

Really depends on what it’s in.

I love a good Pina Colada and getting caught in the rain.

Mike

VORRA-BJ

RDC Crypto
I'll jump in here. I am the race director for VORRA. For those that don't know, I have been a volunteer/ racer since I was 5 and now 40. My wife Laura and I took over VORRA from Dave Cole at the end of 2018.
This year is our first year of using qualifying. While I agree that starting 15 6100's behind 1 class 10 car is probably not the best, for VORRA's case it's a little different. I consider us (VORRA) the AAA of off road racing. We are no means comparing apples to apples with organizations from down south. From time to time we get A Cameron Steele, or a Raul Gomez with his TT or U4., but for the most part, we have a mixture of fast, slower, and new guys. All of our courses are loops, so at some point the fast guys will catch the slower guys. Up until our last race at Hawthorne, we hold 2 separate races a day, UTV's, class 9, 11 in the morning, All larger vehicles in the afternoon into the evening, Mixing the race order up each race.
For us, we have a class called Group T. This combines, Class 8, 7200 and 1450. Most of the time, Chris German is the usually the fastest, but when we would hold a draw,, he may start 10-20 vehicles back. We have several fast guys that would draw further back in Group T making it tough and down right unsafe at times to pass several slower vehicles. With that said, we also would have much faster class 10 guys having to pass slower Group T trucks.
So far, our qualifying loops have been portions, if not all of the actual race course being used the next day. And so far I am pleased with the results. We have yet (fingers crossed) to have any major rough driving instances.
To make it even more interesting, at our last race, we had 57 total entries, on a 55 mile lap, we combined both races and held just one. We had one concern of a "TT' driving into a back of a UTV, but that never really panned out. Other than that, we had a awesome battle between, Steve and Travis Bradford in their class 10 and Alex Baker in his Can Am Pro Turbo. Baker took the OA, and yes I know it's a smaller field, but even for VORRA this was the first time a UTV took an OA.
Finally, and I apologize for rambling, but my personal opinion is, if a smaller vehicle wants to take the chance of qualifying in front of the bigger dawgs, they need to know and take the responsibility of watching their mirrors and being prepared for a tap as needed.

9rocky

RDC Crypto
This has been beat to death @MTPyle

I am starting to think you just like to stir the chit...

There are schlubs in every class. Just seems like 6100 has some of the whiniest people ever in this sport.

Last edited:

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
This has been beat to death @MTPyle

I am starting to think you just like to stir the chit...

There are schlubs in every class. Just seems like 6100 has some of the whiniest people ever in this sport.

LOL 😂 I am surprised how offensive this thread is.

I thought it would be good to get an idea of what people think.

I wasn’t arguing the point anymore. Just wanting to see what others think. Fact is there are a few loud opinions (mine included) and that does not always give an idea of what the general group thinks. And since most are scared to post anything on here the poll is a easy way to pick a side without getting attacked.

It’s OK to block me or this thread if it triggers you.

Mike