Should light buggies start mixed with heavy metal

Should Light buggies start mixed with Full size heavy metal TT. TTspec, and Class 1

• Total voters

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
Peeps that don’t like coconut probably eat pizza with pineapple on it………
I'm not gonna order pizza that way but I'll eat it.

Pizza is like sex. Even when its not that good, it's still pretty good.

Advertising supports this site

GBRACER

RDC Crypto
7 pages in and most of the talk is about nerfing, licencing will do not much to stop that, there are way to many variables and situations where a hard nerf intentional or not can happen, it mostly boils down to a few dicks that have no respect for other people, example: we have been nerfed hard by our own class let the guy go by (no stella use) only to find him on his lid 4 corners later ,,,,, 40 miles into a 1300+ mile baja 1000, total ass hat move when you have so far to race but can't wait 10-20 seconds to make a proper pass. did we stop to see if they were ok Hell no.
If a lighter faster car qualifies up front in the mix with the trucks they know the risk don't cry when you need a new rear cage,

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
interesting observation the newbies seem to be the ones doing all the whinning and bitching .

I have a interesting observation.

This is the classics tale of the little guy syndrome. It’s very clear that buggies are the little guy with something to prove to everyone, a chip on thier shoulder. Insecure and willing to take larger risk to “prove” their worth by fighting the big guy. Not content with compeating in their weight class.

I was a bouncer for years. Guess who was the one always starting the fights and getting kicked out? Yup you guessed it, the buggy.

I think the “veterans” are complacent and too Macho to admit there is a better way and no need for the little guy to take risk. The rest of the world has already figured out buggies are not the fastest or toughest. Unless of course the little guy gets the big guy out if his element and strikes while he has the slight advantage. They he can yell at the mountain top and pound his little chest about how fast and tough he is. The little guys dream comes true.

I see a childrens book in this story.

LOL 😂 this should go over well.

Mike

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
Th upset the order of thigse guy in the SxS finished SECOND OVERALL. He didn't enter to beat Class 1s, he entered to try to win the race OVERALL. And he almost did and he should be applauded for that. In the past, when smaller displacement cars finished way up (Like Sourapas overalling the Baja 1000 in a 10 car or Jim Summers finishing 4th overall at a Baja 500 in a 1600 car) people talk about what a great race they just ran. Here we have a guy with less than half the hp in a smaller car finishing second overall and you have guys who have been fearing the rise of SxS coming for years and now trying to relegate them back into the filed so they don't upset the order of their world. Especially a guy who isn't even trying to win his class.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
Bro

Good point and I agree Mitch’s run at SS300 was impressive. Not trying to take away from that or efforts like Sourapas Baja win.

But they are impressive because they are out of the ordinary.

I am all for the underdog. But not at a higher risk. This is a safety related conversation.
Mike

Last edited:

10 shot

RDC Crypto
The nurf or intended hard nerf is definitely not what I am concerned with whatsoever it is the blind dust and slam into a rolled over or slow moving utv that should never be in that class to begin with. But there big balls should protect them.........

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Sourapas did it from his class not trying to start up front in a different class if your that blazing fast then you will overall from your class on corrected time. Should a utv get a special pass to start 1st off the line with a 30 min gap because there the every mans toy and ppl can relate better to something they have in there garage.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Th upset the order of thigse guy in the SxS finished SECOND OVERALL. He didn't enter to beat Class 1s, he entered to try to win the race OVERALL. And he almost did and he should be applauded for that. In the past, when smaller displacement cars finished way up (Like Sourapas overalling the Baja 1000 in a 10 car or Jim Summers finishing 4th overall at a Baja 500 in a 1600 car) people talk about what a great race they just ran. Here we have a guy with less than half the hp in a smaller car finishing second overall and you have guys who have been fearing the rise of SxS coming for years and now trying to relegate them back into the filed so they don't upset the order of their world. Especially a guy who isn't even trying to win his class.
Who in your opinion here is arguing against UTVs mixing in with Class 1's because they hate UTVs? I personally don't think that's a factor at all for any of the discussion. I would have loved to see both Mitch and Bruce finish at the front of the pack. Even finishing 2nd is pretty amazing IMO.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
I love the new Pro R. Legit for sure and I want one.

I also loved my Honda 450x dirt bike.

The UTV and dirt bike are not the same thing as our full size truck.

Personally I am fine with a 90hp dirt bike or 230hp UTV being faster than our 525hp 6k truck.

Fact is the dirt bike and UTV should be faster in technical races than a full size truck.

Also the guys saying it would be the fault of the truck that hit a UTV’s fault have obviously never been in a race with dust in a full size truck.

It blows me away to see so many people saying to just slow down or be a better sportsman. LOL. Driving blind in the dust is a part of 4 wheel desert racing. The fact that people think you can control what’s on the other side of the dust is silly. And if you only drive what you can see you might as well stay home.

Maybe that’s the problem. People don’t really understand the risk of racing in the dust. Which I don’t blame them if they have never done it. I had no idea when we started how big a deal it was.

Mike

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Most ppl stop if there out riding in a blind dust situation unfortunately we cannot stop for 2 reasons 1 your going to loose so much time you might as well not even race and 2 your going to get your ass pushed in by the guy behind you that is pushing through the dust trying to pass you!

JerryB

RDC Crypto
A lot of interesting thoughts and suggestions on this topic so far. There are multiple variables which can make this a slightly risky scenario to downright dangerous. There is no one size fits all answer, not in my opinion. I as a utv racer would not do it, but the rules currently allow it so if someone was to try it, well that's their prerogative. Makes me think about all the previous related questions in threads...

When is a utv no longer a utv

Are rules made to be broken

And recently the licensing of drivers

Utv's have evolved dramatically over the past few years and at the rate they're going they will be a 4wd 10 car within the next couple years.

Orgs need to enforce their rules. Nerfing is a part of this sport but there's no shortage of people on here with stories of cars being destroyed, under circumstances which are simply unnecessary and uncalled for, a "dick move" if you prefer.

Licensing? You can't regulate or license the stupid out of people unfortunately.

Coconut still sucks and I make my wife get the pineapple on the side when we order pizza. Problems of the world solved....

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Coconut still sucks and I make my wife get the pineapple on the side when we order pizza. Problems of the world solved....
Yeah...even if you do half pineapple, the juice filters into the rest of the pizza and ruins it.

Coconut cream pies are good.

As for the poll...it's still tightening up...despite Mike's best efforts to allow the wishy washy to switch...lol.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
Haha I did my best.

Crazy how close it is. Super surprised.

That’s what’s great about a good clean vote that can’t be messed with. We should try that to pick our next President. LOL

Mike

Steve_Sourapas

RDC Crypto
Website
stevesourapas.com
Different era as when Dave and I won the overall at the 1000 the class 10's ( VW 1650cc. ) were consistently finishing in the top 5 in also every race that year. They were pretty fast, worked great, and reliable. In 1985 our goal was to win our class and get the class points championship but once we were the first car on the road with 250 miles to go it was nervous time as a larger goal was in our grasp. In the early 80's in my 9 car I passed Walker Evans Dodge many times in the rough but you can bet I had my eyes in the rear view mirror on the high speed areas and got out of the way. I have no issue with lighter vehicles mixing it up with the heavy vehicles but in that division they don't play nice so if you get caught you better get out of the way before they get to you. Sorry it's just the way it is especially if your dust has been holding them up. You have chosen to take the risk knowing that if you get caught and hit the damage to your vehicle will be major. Silver State is tight and dusty and starting up front is certainly an advantage and let's face it the unlimited field had many strong runners missing from it. Still props to Mitch on a very strong run as he was racing against the people that showed up.

Last edited:

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
Thanks Steve good insight.

Reading your post it occurred to me that my concern is not when things are going well and everyone is just racing. I think I am a worse case planner and think of what happens when things go wrong. Maybe it’s the pilot in me.

When I am in the dust going fast I am thinking of someone broke down and stopped. Not so much the guy that’s going slower but moving.

I think if all goes well like it did at SS300 there is no problem with mixing it up. And yes the unlimited field was not what it usually is at that race.

Mike

Steve_Sourapas

RDC Crypto
Website
stevesourapas.com
Thanks Steve good insight.

Reading your post it occurred to me that my concern is not when things are going well and everyone is just racing. I think I am a worse case planner and think of what happens when things go wrong. Maybe it’s the pilot in me.

When I am in the dust going fast I am thinking of someone broke down and stopped. Not so much the guy that’s going slower but moving.

I think if all goes well like it did at SS300 there is no problem with mixing it up. And yes the unlimited field was not what it usually is at that race.

Mike
Your older like me so you worry about those things but most of the younger folks don't. That's why having a helo is priceless oh but I forgot they don't talk to the racing vehicles.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
We need events you must qualify for where everyone gets a 2 minute gap.

If SCORE/BITD had the ability to run an sportsman circuit and a pro circuit we might be able have less dust, more enjoyable as well as safer racing.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
I do think the extra gap that they did at SS300 was much better.

Opposed to the 30 second splits starting two at a time in Parker into the un watered course and massive dust. LOL that didn’t end well for us. Sorry was that a complaint? LOL

Mike