Should we allow any type one transmission mods?

Should we allow any type one transmission mods?

• Yes

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 40.8%

• Total voters

C-nutz!

RDC Crypto
Yes it will be less costly to race because a new mainshaft wouldn't break and destroy the whole transmission?? They should be able to go 2 or 3 FULL races before they are gone through!!! I was planning on racing the BITD Vegas to Reno race in my 9 car, but enter it in 1600(so it would be legal)with a trans with these after market parts to prove that it would be stronger. My new car is not finished yet so I will not be able to do this...... I will be at the CODE race in Mexico this weekend talking to the racers down there about this change. They seem to be more open to change, they have already done away with the motor claimer rule!!!!

So Corey, your saying that these "brand new" mainshafts SHOULDN'T break as long as you replace them every other race or every third race with another "brand new" one.

Last edited:

Corey_989

I kick azz in sportsman!
RDC Crypto
No Chris they will last just about forever, You would simply be prepping the transmission to make sure everything is ok, kinda like we do the rest of the car!!!

Last edited:

C-nutz!

RDC Crypto
I think for me and several other 9 car drivers every time you get into your car to race all the weak points are going through your mind and by doing so you base every move you make on them or atleast try to. Do you think that by opening up the transmission in these cars, you will take away that mental edge and give the racers a false sense of indestructibility, And now knowing that the largest weakest portion of the car is no longer an issue to surviving the race, yet the suspension, weight, front end, steering and motor will remain the same, do you think this will not affect the racers, in allowing them to drive over their heads? Ultimately destroying other weak points of this classes regulated parts.

redbaronrace

RDC Crypto
nah no more transmission mods . this is a DRIVERS class , it takes a REAL DRIVER to make this stuff last . also this was supposed to be a entry level class , hasnt been like that for years cause all u non drivers whine about this and that and have rules changed instead of working on yur driving . im old school and i raced against all the FASTEST 9 guys (all in snore of course) my record for transmission`s is 4 1/2 races on one trans never even taking it out of the car in between races , just change the oil . also 4.37 guys , whats wrong with a 4.12 ???????? also maybe sum of u guys should move up in class !!! instead of tryin to ruin this one for yur own GAIN

PEST

RDC Crypto
if the majority of the class wants tochange the rules then let them
Eric who are you in this day and age you dont even race I hope Nate
lets you race his car againts Corey . Let us pray for you for the butt whoopen
you are about to receive.

I listed in another thread what parts were needed.

dislocated1

RDC Crypto
I think this transmission rule thing has gotten out of hand. Bottom line in my opinion is, stronger parts will make the transmission last longer, but it is still a type 1 box. If the majority of the donkeys in this class cant finish a race now, having an aftermarket mainshaft and a 3.88 r&p isn't going to make them finish. Better parts will lets us run longer on a transmission prep which equals better money to fun factor.

redbaronrace

RDC Crypto
hey pig pen maybe correy might smoke me like he did in the snore 250 in 04 , he did beat me and we both had problems , good racing . whats it matter if im here or there ive been there done that and thats what matters . u no i wish i had the means to bring out some of the great old schoolers in there old cars then we would see an *** WHOOPIN with old out dated parts ,ITS ALL ABOUT DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh P.S. did u ever find that alternator for that LS1 u were lukin for at the pit C autozone at the midnight race ,freakin klown!

ACME

RDC Crypto
Jiffy Pops on! This is getting good; Husky Chris-"Mental Edge", "Pig Pen", "All the fastest guys are in Snore"/Baron: you kids need to stay away from the Mountain Dew and Pixy Stix cause your all jacked up...

Proceed...

C-nutz!

RDC Crypto
Jiffy Pops on! This is getting good; Husky Chris-"Mental Edge", "Pig Pen", "All the fastest guys are in Snore"/Baron: you kids need to stay away from the Mountain Dew and Pixy Stix cause your all jacked up...

Proceed...

WAIT!!......whats this?.........Jeff.........with insults and information that would bring Einstien himself down to an elementary level?.........Noooo, I am soooooo dissapointed in you Jeff. With all the information and knowledge that you have packed deep within that ever expanding cranium, that you some how manage to stuff into a helmet, and this is what you come up with. Jeff, look what you've become. Your that guy who talks during the movie or wears that oversized foam hat at the baseball game. Yep, your that guy.

P.S. which 9 car is it that you race again?

PEST

RDC Crypto

It has some different names The Wedge, Wedgie, Limo and Lothringers 1st car. He said it should be ready to race soon. You can see pictures of it from the Balls Out 250 March '06 car #936

Last edited:

C-nutz!

RDC Crypto
It has some different names The Wedge, Wedgie, Limo and Lothringers 1st car. He said it should be ready to race soon. You can see pictures of it from the Balls Out 250 March '06 car #936

That car belongs to his brother. So again which 9 car does he race?

ACME

RDC Crypto
Christopher, it's nice to see you speaking so eloquently, "Hooked on Phonics" worked for you! Let's address my position regarding the transmission mods issue and then will spar RE, the personal attacks...

Over the years technology has evolved and class 9 has as well. A few examples are: shocks which went from 2.0 non res to the current standard, sp to DP motors, stock trans to the current configuration, wet weights to the current standard so on and so fourth. Some of these changes were made for no reason, others due to a supposed scarcity in parts, but for whatever reason they are the accepted rules of the class. These changes have allowed the cars to go faster and evolve beyond the point of where this class was, even 5 years ago. In addition I believe the the drivers in this class have risen to the occasion and are much more attack than survival oriented in their driving style, which parallels the evolution of the 1600 class. The evidence is in the fact that that a 5/16 has a better trans, suspension, motor, brakes etc... but 99% of them can't hang with a 9 where as 10 years ago the case was much different. This comment is not meant to diminish the achievements of the great drivers this class has had, as I believe they too would have utilized the technology and rose to the occasion. The simple fact is you can now drive a class 9 car faster than you could 10 years ago and as in any genre' of motorsports, you always strive to make your car better, faster and more reliable. If you have the ability to use a super diff why would you use a stock diff? If you can use a 2.5 shock that is less prone to fade vs a 2.0 why not? A dual port motor vs a single port? The beauty of this class is that it has evolved over time but unlike other classes the evolution has been minimal and kept the spirit of the class as it was 20 years ago. Keep in mind over the years economics have changed and that same car you could have picked up a few years back, used for $3K is now $8-10K, just as a $300K home of 5 years ago is now worth $600K, thus the cost of racing has crept up with the economic times. Fortunatly class 9 is still reasonable to run whereas costs affiliated with most other classes have escalated greater in comparason. Given the fact that the drivers are driving the cars harder and the the trans has always been the weak link, why wouldn't we as a community consider a change to bring the class to the next level? The irony I see in your argument is you ran an SP motor in you and upgraded to a DP to stay competitive, you revalved your shocks and continue to tune your car to become more competitive, why not consider upgrading you gearbox so that becomes less of an issue? Yes, there is a cost affixed but it is far less in comparison to say the disc brake or micro stub changes in 1600. Now I agree with your comment regarding the mental side of racing and finding that fine line where you can run is part of the battle, however it is not exclusive to class 9. Off Road Racing is a thinking man's game, and a transmission change won't make a difference, remember these are still 100' wheelbase, BJ beams with 1 shock and a swing axle... FYI, I had no idea you were so cerebral, you and the whole mental angle is making me misty... We're talking about a change that is not mandatory and being discussed by everyone with an interest in the class, unlike the SP/DP change or the shock changes which were mandated without any input from the racers in the class. The goal is to make the cars better, stronger and faster as in any form of motorsports...

As far as my interest and what car I run in class 9, currently none... you got me! As you are well aware my brother and I own a class 9 Lothringer which is being rebuilt, along with my 10 and Gema's 11 and I've always kept a toe in 9 as I believe it is the best class in the desert. Suffice to say I've probably owned and or raced more class 9's over the years than you've been to races... Chris: I appreciate your kind words and look forward to the opportunity to race against you once our car is finished; and in immortal words of the FFFFfffffabulous one: "I will catch and punish you"... PS, Mom says no more milkshakes, you're being a jerk again!

Last edited:

Johnson954

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
One thing I just don't understand is...if someone can get 4 races out of their transmission, with only changing the oil, then what do you have to worry about??? Leave your transmission the way it is and save some money! I'm all for changing the rule, but I don't know if I will change my transmission right away. If I see a great improvement in the performance of others, then I'll do it....because in the long run it will save money. For anyone that has raced lately, against Corey, Frank, the Maxwell's, then you will know that these cars are already being pushed to the max....and they are making it to the finish!!! The only thing this is going to change is how much repair has to be done in between races. If you want to beat them, then you better sign up, because they aren't going to slow down....and if you're out of practice, you might just want a stronger transmission!

mike_hinson

RDC Crypto
Website
www.Formulanine.com
Steve,
Very well said. There is no way we can slow down and stay competetive. I for one appreciate these discussions. It is good to see our group communicating plus I have been enjoying the verbal sparring.
Mike

9rocky

RDC Crypto
Seems like there are competitive people on the race course, and in the internet forums.

ACME

RDC Crypto
Well said Steve! PS the verbal sparring is almost as much fun as the racing, I just can't wait for Pinky to throw another Benjemin on the hood...

RDC Crypto
Website
www.Katmetalworxracing.com
hey pig pen maybe correy might smoke me like he did in the snore 250 in 04 , he did beat me and we both had problems , good racing . whats it matter if im here or there ive been there done that and thats what matters . u no i wish i had the means to bring out some of the great old schoolers in there old cars then we would see an *** WHOOPIN with old out dated parts ,ITS ALL ABOUT DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh P.S. did u ever find that alternator for that LS1 u were lukin for at the pit C autozone at the midnight race ,freakin klown!

yep I got an alternator for our Ls2 why dont you talk to your buddy Kenny Freeman
and see if he will let you drive his 1600 car one race. I might not have had the budget
alot of these old school 9 guys had but I remember beeting you a few times
is right up there with the best of the old shool guys. Yeh its to bad we couldnt get
all these guys back into a 9 for one big show down my list of fastest 9 guys
1. Dwaine and Rob Walters
2. Jeremy Harmon
3. Corey Torres
4. Doug Ingram
5. Joe Sheble
6. Andy Kisner
7. Billy Hollbrook
8. Me
9. Doug Silcock
10. Rick Poole
11. Dave Patrilo (when he wasnt running light on weight )
12. Rich Richardson
13. Brian Penington

Haney motorsports

RDC Crypto
WAIT!!......whats this?.........Jeff.........with insults and information that would bring Einstien himself down to an elementary level?.........Noooo, I am soooooo dissapointed in you Jeff. With all the information and knowledge that you have packed deep within that ever expanding cranium, that you some how manage to stuff into a helmet, and this is what you come up with. Jeff, look what you've become. Your that guy who talks during the movie or wears that oversized foam hat at the baseball game. Yep, your that guy.

This is some pretty funny stuff, sorry JEFE'.

I'm still with leaving this class alone in the transmission department.

c.haney

redbaronrace

RDC Crypto
kenny u forgot the fastest of the fast MIKE DIXON , what about ralph chadwick,tom malloy , rick girdner,gene gripentrog,kent lothringer,jim odonell,mark bunderson,etc. etc.