Silk Way Rally, Leg 6 ... yawn....

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Interesting finish though - it shows Nasser is one to look out for as he was leading more or less from the start. Sainz obviously has the experience and Mark Millers 2nd position was commendable.

The Fast&Speed buggy (a later version of ours) of Matthias Kahle was showing it's paces but ended up on it's roof but still managed to come in 11th.

Despite this event being dominated by VW, once again, we tend to forget all the poor b%ggers who have put all their time and efforts into yet another marathon rally. They deserve our applause for just being there! ;)

M

memin.pinguine

we tend to forget all the poor b%ggers who have put all their time and efforts into yet another marathon rally. They deserve our applause for just being there! ;)
Never forget them - they are the core of every sport.....

Mark_Miller

I would disagree, it was a big ass race, all the drivers of VW were flat out every day and put on a hell of a show for the fans. There were 4 very competitive teams between, Carlos, Nasser, Giniel and myself. I can tell you first hand not one of us at any moment from the start to the finish of the rally was less than 100%. Thats a way to create a great race. And we can't control why the others didn't come to the race, we went, we were there and were willing to put it on the line. IMHO. MM

M

memin.pinguine

Ok Mark, I don't question your statement but you have to admit that it looks
a) odd from the outside
and
b) I bet you keep a margin of "race safety" dealing with your team mates compare to another brand competitor you may "squeeze" out that last .5% to beat him....
You know I'm a fan of you guys, so nothing personal and congrats to the runner up.
And i was sure hoping x-raid shows up for that rally....

Mark_Miller

The margin of Race safety was zero. Nasser wouldn't have crashed if what you say was true. I am telling you, it was a flat out race. There were tempers in the bivouac every day because of the level we were at. But it was a great preparation for Dakar. I was also hoping for X-Raid but they didn't show up?? We did.

M

memin.pinguine

The margin of Race safety was zero. Nasser wouldn't have crashed if what you say was true. I am telling you, it was a flat out race. There were tempers in the bivouac every day because of the level we were at. But it was a great preparation for Dakar. I was also hoping for X-Raid but they didn't show up?? We did.
Ok Mark - I take everything back and claim the opposite...... :cool:

In regards crash, well 50% of the VW team members show in the past - to my little beer deluded memory - at different series and driving different brands to "throw it away" instead "bringing it home" - so that does not indicate hard racing...

Talking about showing up - this is the rally raid section of the board yet still have to ask the question (even if I kinda know the answer) In 64 days the Baja 1000 starts. As far as my understanding goes there will teams showing up that have Chevy, Dodge and Ford power under the hood.

Will VW show up with it's TT ????

spalind

Ok Mark - I take everything back and claim the opposite...... :cool:

In regards crash, well 50% of the VW team members show in the past - to my little beer deluded memory - at different series and driving different brands to "throw it away" instead "bringing it home" - so that does not indicate hard racing...

Talking about showing up - this is the rally raid section of the board yet still have to ask the question (even if I kinda know the answer) In 64 days the Baja 1000 starts. As far as my understanding goes there will teams showing up that have Chevy, Dodge and Ford power under the hood.

Will VW show up with it's TT ????
Don't think so...they shut that down a while back, don't think they've restarted it...but I could be wrong...would be nice to actually see those trucks out of mothballs...a huge waste having them just sit there...

M

memin.pinguine

Don't think so...they shut that down a while back, don't think they've restarted it...but I could be wrong...would be nice to actually see those trucks out of mothballs...a huge waste having them just sit there...
Was there ever any announcement?? Did I miss that? I cant believe that... I somewhat stay on top of that kinda stuff. I mean Mitsubishi (Raid), Subaru (Rally), Honda (f1), Kawasaki (GP bikes), BMW (f1), KTM (Raid) - they all announced that they quit for this or that reason. I think VW belongs in the same league so why not make a statement and it's done. Was there somethings of that kind????

Yep, sure would be nice to see them, I think they had big potential.... and for sure HUGE waste on resources invested...

spalind

Was there ever any announcement?? Did I miss that? I cant believe that... I somewhat stay on top of that kinda stuff. I mean Mitsubishi (Raid), Subaru (Rally), Honda (f1), Kawasaki (GP bikes), BMW (f1), KTM (Raid) - they all announced that they quit for this or that reason. I think VW belongs in the same league so why not make a statement and it's done. Was there somethings of that kind????

Yep, sure would be nice to see them, I think they had big potential.... and for sure HUGE waste on resources invested...
It was printed in Dirt Sports back in like the February issue I belive. I brought it up here (in the general Desert Racing forum) and it was confirmed and no one wanted to talk about it further just saying that VW North America pulled the plug on their racing program funding and a bunch of other stuff...

Ah yes, here is the thread...VW dumped the majority of the funding for the AMR program (all that work for ONE race...) and also dumped contingency money for SCORE...
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63117&highlight=score+pulls+plug

M

memin.pinguine

It was printed in Dirt Sports back in like the February issue I belive. I brought it up here (in the general Desert Racing forum) and it was confirmed and no one wanted to talk about it further just saying that VW North America pulled the plug on their racing program funding and a bunch of other stuff...

Ah yes, here is the thread...VW dumped the majority of the funding for the AMR program (all that work for ONE race...) and also dumped contingency money for SCORE...
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63117&highlight=score+pulls+plug
I seen that thread before but I don't find anywhere an official statement from VW as the other companies did I wrote before about....
I also get all their newsletters and do not recall any announcement that states: "VW TT is canceled for this or that reason" - or even without a reason..... Considering the huge media circus announcing the program and show the truck their should be at least somethings small somewhere from them direct....

That's what I'm talking about.

Tipracer

Really????The Veyron costs 5 mil each to make, you think VW did that for no reason...you think that they have not gained anything from the tt exercise???? I am sure they will bring them out when they feel it is time. VW has pulled back from this sport...they did not quit.

Dezertpilot

Really????The Veyron costs 5 mil each to make, you think VW did that for no reason...you think that they have not gained anything from the tt exercise???? I am sure they will bring them out when they feel it is time. VW has pulled back from this sport...they did not quit.
5 million to make? HIGHLY doubt it as they sell them for around 1.2 million.