• Forum membership has its advantages....

Silver State 300 ~ 2018

I'm thinking about racing the Ironman class for the SS300 next year. This will be my first BID race. I'm currently racing the AMRA series. I race a KTM 350XCFW. I have a 3+gal. tank for it. I'm wondering if I can or should prerun the course? Do I need a pit crew? I have a well set-up race trailer that I'm using now at the local races.

TIMP42

There is no pre-running for BITD to my knowledge (At least for the bike classes).
You will either need a pit crew, or use Baja Pits, or both.

You should run another BITD race prior to that one if you can, in order to see how things go at a BITD race.

pgarfinkle

As mentioned above, no prerunning for this race and you can do it with one chase truck. Baja Pits makes for a good back up in case something happens along the way. And you should race Parker before this one to get a feel for the speed of the BITD courses, how they are marked and the overall race operation without having to wrry about TTs coming up behind you.

In my opinion, this is a super fun race course and one of my favorites by far.

nickybobby333

As mentioned above, no prerunning for this race and you can do it with one chase truck. Baja Pits makes for a good back up in case something happens along the way. And you should race Parker before this one to get a feel for the speed of the BITD courses, how they are marked and the overall race operation without having to wrry about TTs coming up behind you.

In my opinion, this is a super fun race course and one of my favorites by far.
Definitely one of my favorites as well! Really pumped they are bringing it back next year!

TIMP42

I am looking forward to the SS300 as I haven't done it before. Had a good time this year at the SS150 and Tonopah 250 too. New races are fun fun fun!

AZ KIRBY

Yea you can do it with one chase truck. Bitd courses are well marked and fast. Parker would be a good one to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

trentk

As others have said if you want to try BITD you can do a non chase race that is also local to you: the parker 250. and you can "pre run" that course, its on public land and its a loop. You can go ride it today if you wanted. Its also a fantastic race. I like SS300 too, its like a rally course, very high speed and easy to chase.

AngryShawn

There is an official prerun for this race April 21 and 22
Not sure of the requirements for prerunning though, for example if your prerunner needs to be street legal, etc...
It would be best to contact BITD directly for details so you can plan accordingly.
Otherwise you can look at previous year's course maps to get a basic idea of the courses they have used, and go out there and ride on your own schedule. Just be sure to do it prior to the course being marked, otherwise you risk a DQ if you get caught, plus you'd probably be doing a disservice to the BITD/BLM relationship.

I'm thinking about racing the Ironman class for the SS300 next year. This will be my first BID race. I'm currently racing the AMRA series. I race a KTM 350XCFW. I have a 3+gal. tank for it. I'm wondering if I can or should prerun the course? Do I need a pit crew? I have a well set-up race trailer that I'm using now at the local races.
I ride Ironman in BITD. I have an old KTM RFS bike and with a 3.6gal tank I can do about 100-120miles. for the shorter loop races like Parker and Laughlin, I can do it myself. for the longer races my buddy will chase me and they usually lay out the pits so one chase vehicle can cover most of the pits. since I have enough range, I stop every other pit (usually around 100miles). you should have better range with your bike because it's smaller and fuel injected.

One of the Ironman riders usually does it solo and will stage fuel and supplies at the pits he plans to stop the day before and then pick them up after the race. this can be done for the larger loop races, like SS300 and Tonopah250, but becomes impractical for the V2R. for V2R I would definitely recommend Baja Pits. they will charge a fee and you drop off your gas cans and supplies with them during contingency and they will bring them to the pits and fuel your bike. they can also provide help and some mechanical support as well as water, etc...they are good guys. (well everyone is actually really nice and helpful out there).

I would recommend doing a shorter BITD race just to get some experience with their setup and stuff. the Laughlin Race (whatever it's called) is in march and it's a good event to get your equipment sorted out since it's a shorter course (and not that far from the start/finish in case you break down or have trouble). the SS300 will be a mixed event and you will probably have to rent a tracking device so trucks don't run over you, in case you get caught.

there are a number of us Ironmen lurking on here, but most of us are kind of loners and anti social ;-)

Sounds like good advice and my kind of crowd. Once I finish the AMRA series, I'll try a BITD. My 350 gets around 40mpg at a race pace. I also have a Spot-tracker that I use when I riding trails.

Sounds like good advice and my kind of crowd. Once I finish the AMRA series, I'll try a BITD. My 350 gets around 40mpg at a race pace. I also have a Spot-tracker that I use when I riding trails.
Sounds like a plan. The tracker they use is specific to BITD. All the vehicle in the mixed races must have them. It alerts vehicles if someone wants to pass, or if you crash so the trucks don't run over you. Other then that, it behaves like a Spot so they can track your progress and there is a online map/leader board people can follow you on. Besides the satellite tracker that you rent from them, they have a transponder they use for scoring which you purchase. They have their own batteries, so you don't need to wire them into your electrical system. It's all done when you register. I haven't raced any AMRA races, just a few MRANN events. I also do D36 Enduros and a few hare scrambles.