Silverado Clunk

V8Ranger

Reaction
I know a few people with 99+ Silverado's and they all seem to have a clunking noise in the drivetrain that occurs after you take off from a start. All of the trucks that do it are 4wd and the only person that I know with a 2wd doesn't have the problem. I was curious if anyone else has similar problems. My brother took his truck to the dealer and they told him that he needs a new slip yoke ($250). I would think that Chevy would have a recall if all of their 4wd trucks are like this.

CanyonMan

Reaction
I know my 97 GMC 4x4 clunks at initial take off sometimes. Not sure if it is the slip yoke or slack in the transfer case that is transferring to the driveshafts.

Lyrch

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
I have an '02 HD2500 4x4 and occasionally it seems to "clunk" from a dead stop. To me it almost feels like the transmission is slipping a finally decides to engage. It doesn't happen often enough to get an accurate feel from where it comes from. I tried to get the truck to duplicate the problem but wasn't successful. I guess when something finally breaks I'll know what it was!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I'm not even going to comment on this thread! ;-)

See ya in the dirt!

KitRacer

Reaction
I had a similar truck with the same problem, i took it to a mechanic friend of mine and he said it that the noise was from the disc brakes, apparently they grab sometimes when you stop and make a clunk when you take off. Just a consideration

Ryno

Reaction
Jr-

Do we really need to revisit Fords marvelous power steering pumps? I often wondered if there was a small animal being choked out under the hood.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
One Possability, My 93 GMC had a klunk from every start-up from a dead stop,
I checked every possable loose bolt, U-jount & 2pc slip joint. It turned out to be a
solinoid in the transmission not dropping it back to first gear upon a complete stop of the truck.
It would actually start out in second, then drop to first resulting in a "Klunk"
My transmission guy found the problem during a transmission service

A simple way to check this, put transmission in first gear maually & drive to see if Klunk persists,most
of us just drop it in drive & assume all of the gears are working
Wayne

Nosala.com

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
A clunk not bad on my sisters lifted 2wd tahoe the rear end makes a honk noise after you take off and it does every time she starts and stops I have looked at every suspenion detail and cant figure it out??

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Tighten the lug nuts. It has fixed the problem on two chevys I know

dezertchick

Reaction
The 2500 has 8 lug nuts so with that many tightening wouldnt be an issue. The clunk is a Chevy problem, Wayne spelled it out about right with his Great Mexican Car.(I just turned up the stero when I drove it) Them Fords have the power steering whine, but it sure sounds like mice in the fuel tank with the fuel pump whine in most GMC products. It seems that the 1500 seems to blow transmission's and rear ends. But then again, I dont own one, just hear problems from friends and family.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Was v8 ranger talking about the 1500 chevys??? I was talking about the 6 lug chevy 1500's and giving another idea on what the problem could be.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Mike ... i had to re-read your post three times !! sounds like your payin to much attention to your sister!!

....oh your talkin about her truck ! lol

i read ... "a clunk on my sisters lift ....rear end makes a honk noise.....when you get off.....everytime she starts and stops.....ive looked at every detail."

:) J/K

FABRICATOR

Reaction
If it's the "clunk" I see all the time...it's the transmission shifting into first at take off.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

justcuz

Reaction
I know this is an 11 year old thread but I have fixed a lot of driveline clunks in GM products by removing the driveshaft and putting grease on the splines inside the slip yoke. It has fixed every one I have greased.

Slippery P

Reaction
I know this is an 11 year old thread but I have fixed a lot of driveline clunks in GM products by removing the driveshaft and putting grease on the splines inside the slip yoke. It has fixed every one I have greased.
Yup fixes them everytime, I grease the splines with Ford driveshaft spline lube! Ha!!