Single or double shocks?

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Getting close to needing front shocks for my 7s Toyota. The big question is:

Double 2.0 shocks
or
Single 2.5 shocks

Truck is an 1984 Toyota straight axle w/National leafs. Plan to run hydralic bump stops. What are you opinions and why.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
84 Toyota 7s Project

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
2.5 cheeper and easyer to tune rather than two 2.0, plus it should be lighter than duals, as well as easyer to mount.

Do we have a rule book? A rule book, sir?
You know, a book with rules in it.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Will the single 2.5's have enough efficient dampening capability?
Thought the reason for duals was to spread the work to two lighter valved shocks?
Would rather run single 2.5's if they will work better, but at the $$$ of 2.5 vs 2.0 want to get it right the first time.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
84 Toyota 7s Project

cleartoy

Reaction
Id run single 2.5s. Less complex, better cooling due to fins on threaded bodies and larger resivoirs, larger uniballs.

On my old 85 straight axle i ran dual FOX 2x10s. It did ok, but not that great as the shocks quickly faded.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Run a 2.5 Bypass if you can afford it. If not, a 2.5 non-bypass will be just fine, it will just take you a few times re-valving the shock to get it to perform optimally for your truck. Not a big deal at all.

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

hoeker

Reaction
based on my 2.0 experience, go with the 2.5, i wish rules would have allowed it in my stocker.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

orvacian

Reaction
I used to run dual 2.0 Fox shocks on the front of my Toy, what a pain in the arse. 2.5" shocks are half the work to do valving, installing/removing from the truck and rebuilding at some point. Plus to get the duals to perform like a 2.5" you will need LOTS of compression valving which will make them run hot anyway. Good dual 2" shocks w/reservoirs cost more then single 2.5" King prerunner shocks too.

Jkrell

Reaction
Heat disipation and dampening from a 2.5 shock is less than two 2.0 shocks....but I agree with orvacion that it is a pain to always pull off and revalve two shocks when changes need to be made. That being said I run two 2.0 bilsteins per corner on my truck and they did not fade at the wild wash race. I think idealy a 7s race truck should have a single 3.0 shock in the front.

jon

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I agree with Jon...3 inch race shock on a 7s.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>