• Forum membership has its advantages....

Single seat buggies, why so few?

DrZero

Several classes, when you read the rules, allow either one or two seat buggies, but in watching the cars take off you never see single seat buggies? Does anyone use them? Is the lack of a co-driver such a disadvantage that there is no reason to go that route?

Wouldn't the lower weight and center steering be a theoretical advantage?

EOR1488

I think in different classes at different times it has had its advantages. I think in class 1 and 10 now especially the long races the co driver is a big advantage with navigation and support obviously. Saving 200-250lbs in a class 1 isnt really that big of deal.

Alot of single seat 1600 cars for along time because that was faster but on all current engine rules etc really seems to be pretty even between the two. Maybe in class 9 still it could still be helpful.

mgobaja

I know there are still several single seat cars in multiple classes actively racing in various series. and they are VERY competitive.

some of the single seat drivers I know, have voiced pro's and cons. Pro being 1 less person to worry about should they wad the car. Con's being 1 less person to help when issues arrise ( flats / stuck ), but that makes them think a bit more and try to avoid those situations.

offroadracer516

We have one with another being revamped. Some people just like racing solo. I prefer two seats my self but I must admit racing a single seat car is cool. It just feels different inside. Don't gotta worry about hurting anyone but yourself ether. But no memories with friends in the right seat. Just depends on the kinda person you are. I Like two seats. My brothers like single seats.
17390403_1104219486372400_7663499383645158108_o (2).jpg

RYAN COHEE

who is going to get out and dig/push when you get stuck in the sand/silt ?
If you get stuck in the silt a human pushing wont help! Only another car will get you out. Single seat cars are like riding a dirt bike with a cage when you sit in the middle you take less of a beating. I built my single seat car for the weight savings and the handling besides when something fails I end up fixing it myself.

DirtDgr

In the last VORRA race in Norcal my 16 year old daughter took a big hit in the silt and could only make it two laps of the six. Being the only one in 1600 I let her out.
After that it was game on! I was amazed at how much my driving changes when I dont have to worry about hurting someone besides myself. Especially my kid. Plus I raced bikes for 35+ years and am used to racing alone for sure.
But the difference in how I felt and drove was an eye opener. But my daughter would be crushed if I sold the two seater. I need both!

brad inch

We have one with another being revamped. Some people just like racing solo. I prefer two seats my self but I must admit racing a single seat car is cool. It just feels different inside. Don't gotta worry about hurting anyone but yourself ether. But no memories with friends in the right seat. Just depends on the kinda person you are. I Like two seats. My brothers like single seats. View attachment 206759
any updates on my old car is it going the rage??

cynicwanderer

If you get stuck in the silt a human pushing wont help! Only another car will get you out. Single seat cars are like riding a dirt bike with a cage when you sit in the middle you take less of a beating. I built my single seat car for the weight savings and the handling besides when something fails I end up fixing it myself.
well, when we get stuck in sand in our Class 11, the co-driver gets out and digs/places trax/pushes until they get out, but you're welcome to wait for the tow truck... I also ride bikes, and single seaters are nothing like caged dirt bikes. we can pick good lines, transfer our weight and the "driver" can push while operating the throttle if necessary. your mileage may vary, of course.

yamaducci

Not too long ago, before I bought my 2-seat, I asked a similar question to help decide if I buy a 1 seat or 2 seat.
There are plenty of two seats out there mostly in class 1600. You will see a couple in Class 1, 10 and 12 once in a while.
The choice to go 1 or 2 really depends on where you plan to race and your preferences. The shorter local loop races are good for singles but I think the longer point-to-point races are really better suited to having a co-driver.
You can write yourself a Pro/Con list for 1 seat or for 2 seat if you are deciding on which to buy like I was.
The list will be close if not equal on Pros/Cons.
If you are short on friends that like off-road racing that is a consideration too....

harleys dad

Not too long ago, before I bought my 2-seat, I asked a similar question to help decide if I buy a 1 seat or 2 seat.
There are plenty of two seats out there mostly in class 1600. You will see a couple in Class 1, 10 and 12 once in a while.
The choice to go 1 or 2 really depends on where you plan to race and your preferences. The shorter local loop races are good for singles but I think the longer point-to-point races are really better suited to having a co-driver.
You can write yourself a Pro/Con list for 1 seat or for 2 seat if you are deciding on which to buy like I was.
The list will be close if not equal on Pros/Cons.
If you are short on friends that like off-road racing that is a consideration too....
expense means a lot, if you can cover the cost of racing a single seat ok, having a co driver helps with expese BUT 2 of my sons have beaten the co drivers nearly unconsus and we lost a couple of races because the rider could not take the beating, thats why we have 2 single seat cars now

Steve_Sourapas

I started in a single seater and drove one for over 15 years mostly in the limited classes and loved it. Their is nothing like being in the middle of nowhere knowing it's all up to you to deal with any situation that might come up. Also sitting in the center of the vehicle is very cool. Some of my most special memories have come behind the wheel of a single seater. Now with GPS and detailed notes and tires and vehicles that are heavy plus the ability to get more people involved has made the single seaters not as attractive as they once were.

Last edited: