Sirens for a Class 12 buggy?

Reaction
Hey guys - I am looking for recommendations for sirens in our class 12 car. Anyone have 'em and like 'em? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the short post -- it's pretty to the point.

BCNU

Fourstroker

Reaction
Hey guys - I am looking for recommendations for sirens in our class 12 car. Anyone have 'em and like 'em? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the short post -- it's pretty to the point.

BCNU
Get the Galls police siren and a good speaker. Under a couple hundred and you are good to go.

Zambo

Reaction
Get the Galls police siren and a good speaker. Under a couple hundred and you are good to go.
x2. We've had ours for two years now with no problems. Get the one with the remote switches and not only can you can mount the amp anywhere (its about the size of a typical lower wattage race radio) but you can also run a separate horn button over on the drivers side. Hundred bucks for the amp with remote switches, and a hundred bucks for the speaker.

ps. You'll probably want to use better switches than the ones that come with the kit.

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
Reaction
I put a whelen alpha remote amplifier and speaker on my class 10. It weighs in around 6 pounds. The Terrible 250 was the first race that i have used it. I passed 10 plus cars in 8 miles without having to bump 1 car. Cost was around $300. It is worth every bit of that and more. I was able to keep my speed up because I could warn a driver earlier. I didnt have to bump and loose speed. I cant believe I was so hard up on the weight issue for so long.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
4130 Chromoly, a lot cheaper! :D

Fourstroker

Reaction
x2. We've had ours for two years now with no problems. Get the one with the remote switches and not only can you can mount the amp anywhere (its about the size of a typical lower wattage race radio) but you can also run a separate horn button over on the drivers side. Hundred bucks for the amp with remote switches, and a hundred bucks for the speaker.

ps. You'll probably want to use better switches than the ones that come with the kit.
We actually have them wired up on K4 switches...on both side of the car

Great option for a Truck, I've used them in Class 8, but they weigh a ton and I wouldn't want the extra pounds on my 12 or 1600.
We are not using the 15 pound speaker you are thinking of. We are using the car alarm type speaker.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Kinda like a horn, only more affective. Nice little bump to let them know your back there, they wave, you wait. Now, they run, the horn hits a little louder! Believe it or not, I'm not much for nerfing guys, I'm pretty patient if they wave, although I did hit a class 12 guy at the MINT pretty hard, didn't mean to, he hit his brakes right before I hit him. Horns don't work too well unless you driving something that has a quite motor.....I have yet to hear a horn behind me....especially at PARKER :D

Reaction

I think we are going to go with this for the 12 and the 1 car...I'll let you know what we decide!

Bajades

Reaction
The Galls siren will stand up well to dust and water. Ours stood up to this at Parker.

The amp on the other hand will not withstand water intrusion, so mount it some place where it is protected. Ours croaked about 3/4 of the way through the last lap at Parker. Dust doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erik Irvine

Reaction
Dude that in-car is crazy. Did you stop at one of the pits for some life vests?

Forty1Racing

Reaction
The Galls siren will stand up well to dust and water. Ours stood up to this at Parker.

YouTube - Parker 425, Man Over Board

The amp on the other hand will not withstand water intrusion, so mount it some place where it is protected. Ours croaked about 3/4 of the way through the last lap at Parker. Dust doesn't seem to be a problem.
Parker was Nuckin Futs!

On the Siren topic:
Our Co drivers usually just whine so much people get out of the way...
:D
Carson Siren... just because the name.

jim_moulton

Reaction
The fast guys in class 12 either drive around or use the chrome horn.

Attachments

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Jim you build that car?

jim_moulton

Reaction
Jim you build that car?
Yep. It was cheaters car. Now its owned by Brent Parkhouse. Cheater drives it with Brent. They are also leading class 12 points in score.

TauMau

Reaction
We also use a car alarm type siren. In fact, it's just a car alarm off ebay :)