small engines for the street/track toy

yldouright

Reaction
My nephew showed up with a circa 1985 fox body Ford with a blown engine sayin' he's got a great idea. Instead of doing the LS swap and Crown Vic rear that all his friends are doing, he wants to put a uber revving three cylinder in there. He was apparently inspired by the Nissan Zeod (280ft/lbs and 400hp@7500). I thought he was crazy at first but the idea began to make sense to me.

He wants to end up with a 1.2-1.5L engine that has less than 300ft/lbs of torque and spins to 8800rpm with 2 bar of boost from a Nissan HR12Dxx block. The block is an Al/Al inline 3 that will weigh around 100lbs with the turbo. I'm thinking this is doable but I figured I should get some feedback from the more experienced wrenches here. How would you guys approach this and what would you budget?

43mod

Reaction
Ignorant question i am sure. Why only 8800 rpm ? I would think 10,000 would be reachable, or more. I have run a 350 chevy 8200 in a modified wet sump. Scary yes but can be done

yldouright

Reaction
Thanks for your attention. The idea was a car that could function fairly reliably as a daily too. I thought I was pushing it with 8800rpm, the Zeod opted to stay under 7500. Since I have your attention, does anyone here have experience with diesel and high revs? I noted some guy Hayes in the US got his single cylinder bike engine to 7500rpm. I wrote him asking for the bore and stroke and got no response. Those specs combined with a wide dispersion high pressure injector might change what's possible with diesel.