Small Kids and Off-Roading

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
I have 3 children under 5 and can't afford a giant 5 seat prerunner. We do have the family Baja bug, however with the stock bench seat in the rear. On the street, we would need 1 booster and 2 car seats which will barely fit in our Durango. In the dirt- is it legal to put three kids in 5 point harnesses- which in my opinion would be safer than the ridiculous booster-car seat lobbyist inspired laws?

michael_loomis

RDC Crypto
I can't answer, but please don't drive like you did in Stubby. LOL!

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
I asked a CHP friend who brought it up to a judge off-record a similar car/booster seat/5-point question. Without a doubt you will be cited and lose if the child isn't in the proper booster/child seat as that's what the law states. You could fight and win with the 5-points. CHP can cite you for the 5-points not being DOT approved but pending the judge, should you fight, will accept the 5-points considering they do 200+mph in race cars.

So I took the lower foam out of the race seat and squeezed the booster in there and run a 5-point harness.

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
Loomis- Stubby liked being beat like that. Wild times lol...

Damn. A booster and 2 car seats won't fit 3 wide in a bug. Thanks for the info though y2k!

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
What about the child Race seats, like Mastercraft and a couple other seat makers.
Would 3 fit in a baja bug. Put two forward and the third centered and recesses closer to the rear window? Just a thought.

I am a firm believer is kids off roading at a young age. I started riding mini bikes at 4 and 5, the rolled my uncles dune buggy at 8 because I could not reach the brakes and tipped over a burm.

A friend of mine has one in his buggy and his 5 year old wears a child size wired and fresh air helmet with neck brace. The kid runs for the buggy when ever we go out, you can't keep him out of it.

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
Sounds like they need to be in a booster or car seat no matter what. I'm thinking of a small seat for my daughter in a booster, and mounting the car seats directly to the cage. I might be able to stagger them like that?

banshechick22

I'm an aunt
RDC Crypto
My mom had a baja when I was really little (like 2-5) and I remember just having a lap belt and it was a blast. Except when she took the fender wells out and I tried to touch the tire as we were going through the mud.

Not sure about the laws off the road but after rolling in several trucks I'd find a way to get carseats in for the little ones and at least a 5 pt harness for the older child. Staggering the seats as was suggested sounds good if you can do it.