Smaller enclosed trailer for TT?

MTPyle

Reaction
I am thinking of getting an enclosed trailer for our TT spec. I dont think we will run another Baja race so mostly BITD races and I think an enclosed would work better for us than the open trailer.

Being from Utah the drive to and from the races can be really messy with weather and destroy the truck.

Has anyone used a enclosed for a TT thats not huge? I want a 24ft trailer but not sure if I can get out of the truck so might need a side escape door?

Just looking for experience from others on what would work.

Thanks!
Mike

kmsponseller

Reaction
I am looking to, I am leaning towards an ATC enclosed trailer... ATC Trailers.

They have a side hatch that looks pretty cool.

Anyone else have any experience with ATC and their durability offroad? They are aluminum so their lighter weight and can haul more cargo. But I believe they also sell steel frame trailers as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MTPyle

Reaction
I had a ATC for my sand car. It was built really well, loved it, but it was really expensive from what I remember. Not sure I want to take that nice of a trailer Offroad at all.

Mike

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Call Dana 805-218-9787 at General Truck Body. He has built several for TT and smaller and knows the abuse our sport takes.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
I am thinking of getting an enclosed trailer for our TT spec. I dont think we will run another Baja race so mostly BITD races and I think an enclosed would work better for us than the open trailer.

Being from Utah the drive to and from the races can be really messy with weather and destroy the truck.

Has anyone used a enclosed for a TT thats not huge? I want a 24ft trailer but not sure if I can get out of the truck so might need a side escape door?

Just looking for experience from others on what would work.

Thanks!
Mike
Hey Mike -

When I was with the McKinzie Racing SpecTT Program, we were running a 30ft, triple axle enclosed trailer. That served as our main pit rig on race day. Always helpful to have all of the pit equipment organized and secure! The race truck was typically transported on a 28ft open trailer, but it would definitely fit inside the enclosed with plenty of room for lots of gear. More often than not, part of my regular assignment was transporting the enclosed trailer on race weekends.

Good luck!

TBF250McKinzieEnclosedwFuel.jpg
TBF250McKnzieEnclosedDesert.jpg
TBF250McKinzieEnclosedLoves.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks Tony

How difficult was it to get the race truck in the trailer? I assume you could not get out of the race truck after driving it in?

I have a buddy with a 28ft trailer for sale thats 9ft tall. I measured a 7ft trailer and it won’t work. Can’t find any 8ft. This trailer might work but I am worried about towing it with my f350 chase truck.

Figure I could use a winch to get it in and out?

Mike

5B4796CA-E9BE-44B3-8A10-E403845CA4D9.png

EL ROMAN

Reaction
Thanks Tony

How difficult was it to get the race truck in the trailer? I assume you could not get out of the race truck after driving it in?

I have a buddy with a 28ft trailer for sale thats 9ft tall. I measured a 7ft trailer and it won’t work. Can’t find any 8ft. This trailer might work but I am worried about towing it with my f350 chase truck.

Figure I could use a winch to get it in and out?

Mike
Mike,

I've loaded trucks in and out of an enclosed trailer. You just have to crawl in and out through the front (windshield), if there is not enough room to get out through the window.

-Roman

SESWIM

Reaction
Mike, we use an H&H. It is 95" at the rear opening and use it when the weather is crappy. Still pull the open though just in case of a needed retrieval. Our car is a Class 1\1500 car. Our chase truck is a SD and pulls the enclosed fine. 2 trucks are needed but with all the support its not an issue.

Sam

MTPyle

Reaction
yeah those look really nice and well built. I think I will go hook up to the 9' tall one and see how my truck tows it. Mostly worried about the tall front and getting in the wind above the truck. I had a 7.5' tall trailer for my UTV that I towed with my suburban and when going faster the front had such large wind load that it unloaded the tongue and made it un stable.

My chase truck is pretty tall with the rack so maybe it will release some of the pressure on the front top of the trailer.

I don't think I can crawl thru the window of my truck. Maybe in an emergency but it would be ugly.

Mike

Speedracer90278

Reaction
yeah those look really nice and well built. I think I will go hook up to the 9' tall one and see how my truck tows it. Mostly worried about the tall front and getting in the wind above the truck. I had a 7.5' tall trailer for my UTV that I towed with my suburban and when going faster the front had such large wind load that it unloaded the tongue and made it un stable.

My chase truck is pretty tall with the rack so maybe it will release some of the pressure on the front top of the trailer.

I don't think I can crawl thru the window of my truck. Maybe in an emergency but it would be ugly.

Mike
all of my trailers have escape door on drivers side

MTPyle

Reaction
they look great. But I need something soon and cant spend $20k on a trailer.

I think I can winch it in and out.

Mike

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Definitely a tight squeeze once the truck is inside! But definitely doable! We typically removed the bedsides, before driving the truck in. Once you climb out of the drivers window, you can climb out towards the rear of the truck and come on out.

Even "The GOAT" RobMac carries his Geiser TT inside of a triple axle enclosed. Bedsides removed, driven in, driver climbs out and exits through either the side escape door, or through the rear.

Attachments

Speedracer90278

Reaction
Definitely a tight squeeze once the truck is inside! But definitely doable! We typically removed the bedsides, before driving the truck in. Once you climb out of the drivers window, you can climb out towards the rear of the truck and come on out.

Even "The GOAT" RobMac carries his Geiser TT inside of a triple axle enclosed. Bedsides removed, driven in, driver climbs out and exits through either the side escape door, or through the rear.
TT in trailer.PNG

with full body on

mattb

Reaction
There’s a thread on here for race trailers, and it mentions a fab guy in Mexicali. His work looked good and everyone was happy with his work. (As I recall)

If he’s already been mentioned here, do a search for his work. Looked pretty good.

pwerwagn

Reaction
There’s a thread on here for race trailers, and it mentions a fab guy in Mexicali. His work looked good and everyone was happy with his work. (As I recall)

If he’s already been mentioned here, do a search for his work. Looked pretty good.
Yiro?

My dad just bought a yiro deck over and they mentioned they are going to start building alum enclosed trailers.

I have 2 atc/complete alum enclosed trailers at work. 22’ box, 7’ inside height. Really well built and nice, but $$$$$$$$. They’re currently building us another one.

johndjmix

Reaction
Nothing better than the trailer I built for my UTV. It’s the exact size of the UTV. Has 2 spare tires and spare spindle. All wheels are beadlock, tongue is removable and straight for tight turns.

Tongue weight is exactly 15%. Trailer is stable at high speeds.

Had it all over in Baja including that “road” south on the course. Thing held up like no other.

—John

IMG_4216.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app