smog exempt status

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
Anybody know whether smog exempt years have been rolled forward. As far as I was aware it applied to 1972 and older vehicles. I'm looking for a smog exempt blazer or jimmy and I've seen a few 74's where the owners claim "smog exempt" Is this legitimate? I will go do some DMV research as well and post back.

Bret

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
I found it already
From DMV

Smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, motorcycles, or vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older. Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period.

Vehicles that are four model years old or less are exempt from the biennial smog requirements for registration renewal.

Evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for a smog exemption?

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.

Example: The calendar year is 2003- 29 = 1974 exempt year model

The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpeedRacer

Reaction
I believe the exempt model year rolls in as of January 1, 200X. Therefore, the 1974 MY will be exempt as of 1/1/2004. Smog test is required upon title transfer so to be safe 1974 MY vehicles are not really a safe smog exempt purchase until after 1/1/2004.