smog laws

Catman

I was thinking about registering my truck in arizona,Ive got family there .Anybody know how often you need to smog ect.thanks

fishd00d

What A Joke
I was also wondering this same thing. What kind of smog laws are there in AZ??

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

BIG_FAT_LOSER

A short term way aorund smog.

Ive told the DMV my brother-in-law is using my truck in AZ (even though it was in the parking lot) and could not easily bring it to CA for smog, they gve me a one year waiver and my tags without smoging it. I have done it two years in a row and my brother has done it for 4. Do not know how much longer they will do it till they figure it out. It gives me time to fix it till it is smogable (right!!!)

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

drtdevil93

after seeing pat post that before i tried it and it works. i said the truck is on a construction site in arizona, and it wouldnt be back for a year. there is an exemption form on the dmv website you print out and send in. im gonna be registering it to my friends vacation house in imperial county later on, and then ill be home free. you know, the funny thing is, itll pass smog with flying colors. the problem is they look and see no egr, no cat, a fuel cell, a lot of things plugged off, etc. and if fails the visual. but when just hooked up, it put out about 1/4of the limit of CO and HC, and about 1/3 the limit on NOx. but the smog nazis dont care how much smog it actually puts out. its impossible that an aftermarket company would know more about a motor than the company that built it, even though the aftermarket company has put hundreds of thousands of dollars into researching how to get every last tenth of a horsepower out of it, and realized efficiency is how to do it. not putting more fuel in to the motor, but making more power out of the amount of fuel put into it. and giving strong bottom-end torque, so you dont have to give it much throttle. instead of that forward thinking, they instead want the companies to put hundred of thousands towards getting some stupid little sticker, that the smog guys half the time argue with you about anyways. its crazy i tells ya.

erik

fishd00d

What A Joke
Would it be part B of this?:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf>http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf</A>

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Tom_Willis

thankhyouthankyou thankyo uthankyu! I'll just tell them my truck's been at Pat's brother's house too!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Is there a way to contact DMV and tell them you switched it to a Diesel or would you have to show proof? I think that would be easiest for people really worried about passing smog becaseu diesels are exempt.

Kris

partybarge_pilot

Hey Erik, How about getting your buddy to put up a mail box with about 50 slots in it and charging a small monthly fee for one. Kinda like mail boxes etc. Then we can all register our rigs out there.

Dave_G

RE: "Is there a way to contact DMV and tell them you switched it to a Diesel or would you have to show proof?"

Kris,
I had the exact opposite problem with my Dodge Ram with the turbo diesel last year. Mine is a 98 and after it was three years old they sent me a smog notice with the renewal. When I bought my truck new the dealer listed the fuel type on the pink slip as a "G" for gas. I spent two weeks trying to prove my truck was a diesel. I went to DMV to get them to check it and issue a new VIN verification form. To my suprise they said NO ONE WAS CERTIFIED TO JUDGE WEATHER IT WAS A DIESEL OR NOT! DUH...... I said listen to it dip s*it!...They said didn't matter. I almost had to get a lawyer to straighten it out. Finally, I had to take the truck and title to AAA and resell the truck back to myself, have a new VIN verification done with the "D" under fuel type, new title and registration issued. Even the dealer who sold me the truck couldn't help me. I even tried to get a smog certificate from the referee station! It was one of the biggest government rounde rounds I have ever been through. I was ready to go postal.

As for registering a truck in Arizona and using it here in California you'll need an AZ drivers license to keep from getting a ticket here in Ca. The CHP is big on issuing citations for that violation. Their on to that deal big time.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I LIKE THE FACT HERE IN NEVADA HAVING A FRIEND OWN A SMOG PLACE IT WORKS OUT WELL 40 BUCKS AND ANYTHING PASSES WOOOHOOOOO !!!!!!!

ntsqd

It would be easier to convert it to Propane and get it exempted as an Alternatively Fueled Vehicle. In any case, it has to go b4 the Referee and get labeled as to the new fuel type.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Ahles

Another way to go in AZ is to claim non-resident. The non-resident law is designed for gray hairs who spend 6 months in AZ in their RV, but their permanent address remains in another state. I currently have my boat registration this way so I operate under the AZ laws for Ski Observers when on the CO River.

I took my 85 Ramcharger down to the Parker DMV and told them it was a tow vehicle for my boat and I keep it in Parker all year. They told me I would need AZ non-resident registration with my CA address listed on it. I only needed to pass a safety check which I failed as the windshield and one rear view mirror was broken.

Instead I decided to just send the DMV a address change for only the one truck to a County that does not require smog, ie: Imperial. This way I drive in SD with CA plates. My buddy just forwards the renewal slip every year to my house.

Dave

Catman

I guess I just didn't post the question correctly. I have family in Arizona, specifically what I need to know, is when they smog their vehicles, is it every two years, 4 years, or just a one time thing? I need to know if it would be worth the time to get the Arizona drivers license. This would be for all of my vehicles.

Tom

In Pima Co. (Tucson) and Maricopa Co. (Pheonix) you have to smog it every year! I think, but I am not sure, that you don't even need to smog it in the other counties

Bryan_D

No not every year. I smog mine I think every 2 years if not more, there is an option I think what you can do. I love it, run my cat. converter 1 day every 2 years the rest of the time it sits in the shed.

ntsqd

I guess I don't understand why you all don't run a high flow cat and leave it on there. Seems to me polluting your own air is like sh!!ting in your hat and pulling it down over your ears.
With a cat you could run any sized muffler down to no muffler depending on how loud you want it. Doubt you'd notice much performance difference with a high flow vs. no cat, and your emmissions would be far better.
I think we have too many restrictions placed on our lives by the gov't. I also realize that this has happened because people won't do the right thing often enough.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Chris_Wilson

What the difference between Ski Observer laws in AZ vs CA??? I register my boats in AZ
just because the AZ non-resident was cheaper than CA resident registration.

drtdevil93

TS- i know on a toyota 22r there is a big power difference. there is noticeable more power with a cat on. i thought id be cool and take mine offa couple desert trip ago, just had a large header going to a crimped pipe, couldnt get it to go over 60 mph in the dirt. normally has no problem hitting triple digits.

erik

Bryan_D

Actually I found a money difference, Carsound only like to take back broken cats a certain amount of times, I would break the guts out or rattle them loose if I went beating on the rig. The shitting in my own hat thing I can see where you are coming from but with the winds and other weather we dont have the pollution that you guys do. All in all I would run a cat if they dont break. And yes I had a 1 chamber flowmaster on with a cat and without it on I had to switch to a 2 it gave me a headache.