smog loop hole?

Ryan B

Well-Known Member
I've been talking to the dmv, and a couple smog shops. They just gave me the run around. Say you were building a full tube chassis 87 f-150 and you put a built motor into it that wouldn't pass smog. You also go out and get a junked 67(smog exempt) f-150. If you cut off the part of the 67 chassis with the vin# on it and mounted it to your tube chassis, could the truck be passed off as a 67 so that you wouldn't have to smog it?


Well-Known Member
no. i am pretty sure you have to retain at least 50% of the original chassis if you want to register it on that vin #, and if you do a full tube chassis, you gotta get a specian construction vin.