SMOG TEST ONLY

DesertCreations

Reaction
So here's the deal i've had my truck for 1 year. I smoged it when I bougt it I got the renewal paper work and it says i need to smog it again then I think to my self "i no a guy no big deal". WRONG the renewal said "TEST ONLY" the guy I no says your F@#!ed. He was wright I went to the test only place and three asian guys picked the hell out of my truck K&N NO GOOD Downey header NO GOOD high flow cat NO GOOD exhaust should go over the rear end. something that was a little bit of a hassel turned into a big pain in the ass.
Anybody else have to do this.

RRose

Reaction
thats a bunch of crap. K&N's are legal, the exhaust doesn't have to go over the rear axle. And why are you smogging within a year? Cali is every two?

jeff

Reaction
Do a search on this subject as its been covered before and in depth. You might have to go back six months or a year but it's in here somewhere. If the old info from the site was lost when the boards were changed your best bet is a search using Google - get creative and you'll be rewarded.

Aloha

michael_loomis

Reaction
what year is the truck ? any vehicle doesnt need to be smogged in its 1st 4 years . so a 99 truck would just now require smog if you bought it new . if you bought it used and its 99 or newer then it only needed smog when the transaction took place .

k & n are legal if its the factory style , open elements are not. but thats the first ive heard of the routing of the exhaust .... i'd call his bluff on that one and how can they tell the difference between a hi flow cat and a stock one from the outside ?

sirhk100

Reaction
Oh great... I'm just starting to get info on how to revive a salvaged vehicle and one of the steps is "smog only station". That's I guess about the only positive thing on this truck is that it looks like it has all the stock engine and smog stuff except for the muffler...

PLS

Reaction
I recently put a K&N filter system, with an open element, on my jeep. Not only did it pass smog (after the new cat and O2 sensor), but there was a stamped CARB legal sticker to put on it for testers to see. It was a metal sticker with a reference number stamped into it. K&N claims these are completely smog legal.
Pete S.-BOYD RACING

1992f150

Reaction
Sounds like you went to the same test only place I went to, on alosta by loraine. However I had a cone style k&n air filter (but the stock intake tubes) and they didn't mention anything. Also had a gibson catback, CARB certified headers, but the stock cat converter.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Face it - smog nazi's are A-holes, but that is thier job. The exhaust exiting befor the rear wheel is BS. Ask him how a brand new, ford lightning can come from the factory like that???? As far as the K/N - only some (the ones they do CARB testing on) are legal. Look on the K/N site and find out if they have a CARB legal kit for your truck. If it is a newer truck - cances are they have it. Call up K/N tell them you bought that kit but lost the CARB sticker that comes with it, and now you need it for SMOG. They will most likely send you one w/o hassle. Put this on your existing K/N. If this does not work, look in the recycler for a stock airbox (cheap) and run it that day only. It sucks but hey - what can you do.
headers are the same deal as the K/N. Find out who makes smog legal ones for your truck and call and get the CARB sticker. A smog NAZI will not be able to tell make by the look of the header so how can he say the CARB sticker didn't come w/ that header??
Cat's a slightly different deal, but do as was mentioned before and ask how he can tell it's a hi-flow? Do NOT admit you know it is a hi-flow. Just claim that's what a muffler shop put on (don't tell him which one cuz they'll get in trouble).
Anyways - you get the point, and believe it or not - you have it EASY. Try doing an engine swap and getting it smog legal here - NOT fun. Fight the smog nazis tooth and nail is what I say!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck. Steve

michael_loomis

Reaction
NOTE : you should tell him the DEALER put the cat on ..... that will clear ANY doubt and i remember hearing that the dealer was the only one allowed to legally sell cats anyways.

i thought ALL ford F1's came with pre-rearend side exit exhaust in 97 .... atleast most of them do .

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Exhaust shops can put in cats, but there is a form that comes in the box with the cat that they have to fill out, sign and send in. Beaurocratic BS if you ask me. Steve

PLS

Reaction
I just went through the whole Cat thing, and what I was told was that '96 & newer vehicles have to use OEM Cats. For now, I think these can only be sold by liscensed dealers. My neighbor runs a muffler shop, and he said they are trying to pass legislation to change this.
Pete S.-BOYD RACING

Motorider

Reaction
What steve says is true, you can get CARB stickers from K&N, but from personal expericence it is very hard to do. They want a receipt from where you bought it, and you have to fill out this form. Since I had no reciept=no CARB sticker. If anyone in SD is looking for a test only station, there is one down in Chula Vista, the guy is cool. Smogged my truck with no bed, fuel cell in the back, all kinds of stuff. The only problem I had with my intake, is on the 1994 and older ford rangers, there was a preheater for the airbox, to help the engine warm up faster, and I had to put the old airbox on for that. Everything else was cool. PM me if you want his no.

Ryan B

Reaction
If you are looking to get a carb sticker for a k&n filter but don't have the original recipt just go down to a parts store buy a new filter, make a copy of the recipt, then return the filter.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
if the truck has not been tested yet you can say it is out of state and cannot come back easily to be tested, I have done this for 5 years now and every time I get a one year waiver and my tags.

michael_loomis

Reaction
yes thats what i thought Pete ... all 96 and newer vehicles have OBD II .... which requires OEM cat by law

singlehanded

Reaction
So your still runing no cats on all the cars you own right?LOL

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Of course not I would never break the law