SMOG

Tyson

Reaction
Well I discovered today that my regrestration was up as of yesterday. .. oops. But, I never recieved my renewal papers from the DMV. So as I'm worrying about possible cell problems and how my truck has been running like crap for a few months (NOT RIGHT NOW. . .KNOCK ON WOOD) and wondering if my truck will even pass. . . I called the DMV only to find out that this is my "get outta jail free card" so to speak. I DON'T HAVE TO GET A SMOG THIS YEAR. . .. YEAH! ! ! !
So I'll worry about all this in a year.

Laterz

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

dezertchick

Reaction
I know that feeling, I had to smog in September and I was so worried I wouldn't pass (old tired engine-lots of miles) But it passed with flying colors(not even a tune up, only oil change), didnt have to tweek a thing, just reved the hell out of it, (opened the O2 sensor) and my baby passed! Whoopie! I was praisen everything!!! Kissed the smog tech too boot...he was happy also! Already got a new engine just waiting for the old one to blow up, but at 215,000 she's a perking right along and haulin arse on occasion. When the mood strikes her or a Toyota is in front of her in the dezert she can really kick into gear, (teeheehee only a joke -not!) LOVE THEM FORD RANGERS!

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
i still have not been required to smog. do you know when they will require it. I have a 98 tacoma that I bought new.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

toyoter91

Reaction
i think its every 6 years for the new cars/trucks so i would say 04 you will need it but i could be wrong. laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

Tyson

Reaction
Hmmm, well desertchick: My Toyota hauls some @SS IN THE DIRT, but Im sure your still faster (just don't tell my truck I said that :) and you got lucky with that smog it sounds like, I got a cell out in the open, and have had mass problems with it running right recently. I even have a "custom" return spring on my air flow meter - don't know if thats good or bad, but it helps to let my truck run cleaner :)

Coiloverkid: Hopefully it will be fully ready for MDR by then. . . .BUt I'm only gonna run 1400 so It'll still have to be smog legal (street legal class and all). . . OH. . .and get a picture of YOUR truck for your logo, cool you stayed with chevy but you have an extra cab and yours is green, what the hell? J/K just giving you a hard time. . .hehehe

TRD: Not sure but I think that Rob is right that you'll have to do it after 6 years or so

Toyoter: How was that movie??

and a general note to anyone who has to get smog soon, make sure your ride is warm (IE you've driven it for a while - by the time you get to the smogger, those O2's need to be nice and warm to pass easier.) and GOOD LUCK

Laterz

jeff

Reaction
Speaking of passing the SMOG test... I've got two suggestions, both have been proven to work. I've used them in a Ramcharger, was tested first without the additives and came back as a gross polluter, after it was 4-cyl Honda clean... an 83 Bronco with no CAT, and a couple modified Rangers. All passed with super low emissions.

One of them is GTP = Guaranteed to Pass
The other is a not so well known and hard to acquire additive called D-1280X. It's usually marketed as a Diesel additive and it works wonders with all internal combustion engines. It was designed by a German scientist back in WWII - it's a crazy additive that has worked wonders for everything I've added it to. As far as I know it's not available to the public but I can obtain some if someone want to try it out. It works awesome as a lubricant too.

Those two additives have allowed me to pass what would otherwise test as GROSS POLLUTERS.

GTP is available at all sorts of places, PepBoys, AutoZone, etc. The D-1280X is available from only one source that I know of.

Aloha

ntsqd

Reaction
Ya know, I was thinking about that problem of your just today. What kind of fill cap do you have on it and how is the cell vented ?
Seems some stock EFI's want a closed system to run well.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Tyson

Reaction
Hmmm, well right now I have on the stock filler neck (I knew I'd need that to smog it). I have the gas line going to the engine (filter, pump, filter, stock pressure regulator, engine) then a return line straight to the cell, then I have a breather hose that goes above the cell then dumps out.

As it was stock it is set up the same except for that the OEM style had an internal pump, and the breather was hooked up to a charcoal cannister. Now, it has an external pump, and just a breather (not to the charcoal cannister)

* I believe what happened was that when I was running too much gas to the engine (too much for my stock pressure regulator to handle) I had an engine back fire, all I can gather is that the return spring in my air flow meter came off, then got sucked into my intake (since I found no spring - into my engine is the only place it could have gone)

But thanks, its good to know I have people out there trying to help me out, if you come up with anything let me know.

Laterz

toyoter91

Reaction
tyson... the movie was hmmm interesting. if you are down with the paranormal type stuff than its pretty cool was kinda creepy how it was all based off true events and actual sightings. but while we were waiting to go into see that one we watched some of what i think was queen of the damned (had some like rock star dude having a concert in death valley) looked pretty cool. laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
If all else fails, Say the vehicle is on a jobsite in Az. and is difficult to get back to Ca. Has worked for the past two years for me. Need to have an Az address.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Ryno

Reaction
Pat-

You just tell the DMV that? I need to smog my truck this year, last time it was a 3rd time's a charm, after getting a new CAT, going back to stock rocker arms, and severely detuning the truck. I would like to do as little s possible....The AZ trick sounds very nice. Jeff's D-x1280 sounds like a charm too. When it tests, it runs high on HC (Hydrocarbons...aka unburnt fuel). I put a 195 t-stat back in it, and it still failed. If anybody has ideas, PM or email me. thanks

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Jack

Reaction
I think new cars get to skip there first test, so it should be 4 years.