• Forum membership has its advantages....

Smoke coming from valve cover

Dirtracer 619

Hi all so need some help on my sbf 5.0. So i have been fighting a popping in the intake timing issue for a while. Today all of a sudden i started getting a lot of smoke out of my valve cover breather. Did a leakdown test ( motor was not hot when tested) 3 and 4 cylinder has air to valve cover during test. So valves? Rings? Something else? Also was way down on power
Any diagnostics ideas to help me
So bummed
Almost ready to sell it

Josh 8

It’s hard to exactly say what’s wrong. But it’s pretty easy to say you need to rebuild the engine.

It’s got to come out.

jon coleman

dump lucas eng oil syrup in 3/4 , if dramatic drop, rings/ partialy burnt piston,?cooked head, harbour frieght eng . hoists work pretty good.whatever the problem. WE WANT pictures!!, we are All dying to find out eng issue:D

jon coleman

do what i used to do when i had credit cards.......aaaa, you know....ps bad rings/ pist.ussualy smokes out tailpipe allot

cjohnson

If you want to know for sure you can take a pic with an endoscope through the spark plug hole. If you had popping in the intake you most likely have burned or cracked pistons.

Bert is my name

The only real way to diagnose this after a compression and leakdown test is to take it apart . CAREFULLY. Look at and measure everything if you are capable of an engine rebuild. Meaning, meticulous engine assembly. Otherwise. Yank it out and take it to a builder or replace it. Dont waste your money on a horoscope. The leakdown confirmed that you have a major failure. Small block fords are known for head cracks between the valve seats. This will cause oil consumption and smoke in the crankcase.
Same with piston or ring failure. My money is on a cracked head. Burnt valves cause misfires. Not oil consumption or crankcase pressurization. Sorry dude. Sounds like your engine is toast.

Dirtracer 619

Yep blew it up melted pistons the rest looks good but will have it all checked out to see where we are. Gonna stay with a 331 if it's still good if not will have to see. But for sure new pistons rings and bearings exhaust valves and timing set oil pump. And will be moving to an eldelbrock Proflo4 induction system

Bert is my name

detonation sux, plug readings are critical, any idea what it was?, timing?, fuel( or lack of)?
Not sure it matters. He said he was moving on to pro flow from edelbrock.

I like the edelbrock stuff if ultimate horsepower is not the end goal. Good choice. Eddy tends to stay more conservative with initial timing and fuel curves. Learn to tune your own ****. If your end goal is 500 horsepower build your engine to live at 750. Try to keep the new bore size down. To be honest you are probably better off starting with a fresh block to keep more meat in the cylinder walls, than trying to save 200 dollars on a build that will cost you thousands. A junkyard explorer engine will get you some decent parts to start with.

I dont know what this is going in. But a 331 crank in a 351 block could make for a high revving screamer as well. Talk to Greg at total performance in santee. If it's a Ford engine. He has probably done it.

Dirtracer 619

Thanks I will keep that in mind, right now it's at the original builder for inspection he got it apart said not a lot wrong just pistons bearings and the usual stuff oil pump and timing set exhaust valves. But that was just a quick look. He still has to measure it all. So waiting for that. Still totally unsure on intake stuff. I'm an old guy so need to try and keep it simple
Honest hp will be 375-400 somewhere around there nothing crazy

So I just sold all of my old intake stuff and still gotta figure out what's best. I do like the Proflow 4 but I am still open to ideas thanks all
It will be going in my 1450 race truck.