Snapon torque wrench

Dezertpilot

Looking at getting a metric torque wrench, more so specifically off eBay. Any suggestions? I need somethign along 0-200 ft/lbs. Thanks!

clogking

Metric torque wrench ?:confused: But you need ft/lbs?:confused: Whats your question? Snap-on is the best. Get a 1/2 drive for that much torque but they are not to accurate down on lower settings.You can get a 3/8 drive and use extensions(length) too multiply your readings. What else do you need to know?

Dezertpilot

Sorry let me clarify, I just need a TW that starts at around 3 ft/lbs then goes to around a max say 250 ft./lbs. I will be using this on millimeter bolts. Its for my KTM and tightening bolts, thats about it. In the manual it calls for Newton Meters but also gives it in foot lbs.

07FJRog

I agree with above, you really should have two, small one, and larger/higher rated one.

Dezertpilot

I agree with above, you really should have two, small one, and larger/higher rated one.
I agree but at the moment just need a say 3-250 ft/lbs one.

Wilson

I agree but at the moment just need a say 3-250 ft/lbs one.
A torque wrench that has a full scale of 250 Lb-ft is not going to be usable at 3 lb-ft, even if the scale goes that low. The accuracy of a torque wrench is expressed in percentage of full scale, and a 2% rating would yield an error band of +/- of 5 lb-ft., kinda tough to set 3 lb-ft with that much error...... The only practical solution is to have a wrench for the "low end" and a wrench for the "high end".

Dezertpilot

A torque wrench that has a full scale of 250 Lb-ft is not going to be usable at 3 lb-ft, even if the scale goes that low. The accuracy of a torque wrench is expressed in percentage of full scale, and a 2% rating would yield an error band of +/- of 5 lb-ft., kinda tough to set 3 lb-ft with that much error...... The only practical solution is to have a wrench for the "low end" and a wrench for the "high end".
Ok, well what I need is something that goes up to around 250 ft/lbs? Is this possible?

California MiniTruck

I used Snap on torque wrenches on aircraft in the Navy for years and like the guys said you should have at least two different sizes. I would look into a 1/4, 3/8, and a 1/2 drive so you have one for all the different settings. If you need up to 250lbs of torque a 3/8inch will do the job, 1/2inch get up there pretty high in foot lbs.:)

Wilson

I used Snap on torque wrenches on aircraft in the Navy for years and like the guys said you should have at least two different sizes. I would look into a 1/4, 3/8, and a 1/2 drive so you have one for all the different settings. If you need up to 250lbs of torque a 3/8inch will do the job, 1/2inch get up there pretty high in foot lbs.:)
A 3/8" torque wrench generally doesn't go as high as 250 lb-ft, and if it did, you'd be breaking extensions and sockets. You really need at least a 1/2" wrench for those torque values. You should be able to find a 1/2" torque wrench at Sears if you don't want to spend too much money. I'd stay away from the "Wal-Mart special" torque wrenches if you're interested in any sort of accuracy though.....

Dezertpilot

So a 1/2" drive will get me up to around 200 or so ft/lbs tightening anywhere from 9 to say 15mm bolts? The majority of the bolts on my bike are low torque values but an occasional one might be of a higher value. Im looking on eBay for Snap-On TW's btw.

Dezertpilot

Ok I just bought a SNAP ON TOOLS OJR-3200 1/2"DR TORQUE WRENCH off ebay for $50, its a 1/2 drive and if it doesnt work out for me Ill just eBay it. Hopefully it does me well, now hopefully I have the right sockets for this already lol.

Wilson

Ok I just bought a SNAP ON TOOLS OJR-3200 1/2"DR TORQUE WRENCH off ebay for $50, its a 1/2 drive and if it doesnt work out for me Ill just eBay it. Hopefully it does me well, now hopefully I have the right sockets for this already lol.
That should do just fine. As painful as it seems, the best solution is to have several torque wrenches, one each for low, medium and high torque (based on your needs). The 1/2" wrench will be great for those 50-200 lb-ft jobs, best at the mid to full scale torques. The 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrenches would be good for low (approx. 20-200 lb-in) to medium (approx. 10-100 lb-ft) torques, respectively.

Dezertpilot

If this one works out for me Ill buy a low torque value and a higher torque value. What the warranty deal with Snap-On anyways? Original buyer? Lifetime?

loufish

Doesn't it make more sense to buy the wrench you will use the most, and borrow(until you buy our own) the one used the least?

I have to ask, what are you torqueing to 250 lbs on a KTM?..AND how often...
Most of the fasteners on that bike are 6-12 mm which can be torqued with a 1/4"-3/8" dr wrench...

Dezertpilot

Tripple clamp bolts, etc. need around 40 ft/lbs. Others need more or less. I have a bad habit of over tightening fasteners so this will allow me to tighten to correct specifications. And I just need a TW that will tighten up to 200 or so ft./lbs.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Am I the only one annoyed when people refer to torque as "FT/LB"...torque is force x distance...lb-ft or ft-lb but not ft/lb.

I have a digital snap on 3/8 drive TW 10-50 ft-lbs I think and it is switchable metric/standard I bought for prepping my dirtbike and I have a much larger 50-250 ft-lb for automotive use. I would not recommend the digital as it eats batteries. MY cure was to remove batteries after use but that sucks. I recommend the side dial ones that you can leave at any value even when stored.

Snap on warranty I think is parts on torque wrenches but if you have a good truck coming to your shop they will usually take care of it and give it back no charge.

Chase 2

Metric Torque wrench would read in Newton-Meters or Kilograms-Centimeter not foot-pounds or inch-pounds. So I guess this would go with your other metric ratchets? Did you want the right handed or left handed model???

Wait........ would it be ft*lbs but not lbs/ft? Just stirrrr'n da pot.

Dezertpilot

Am I the only one annoyed when people refer to torque as "FT/LB"...torque is force x distance...lb-ft or ft-lb but not ft/lb.
Never owned a TW before and not a fan of math so yes it seems that you are the only person that cares:D

Dezertpilot

Metric Torque wrench would read in Newton-Meters or Kilograms-Centimeter not foot-pounds or inch-pounds. So I guess this would go with your other metric ratchets? Did you want the right handed or left handed model???

Wait........ would it be ft*lbs but not lbs/ft? Just stirrrr'n da pot.
You guys are killing me here!!!! In my manual it has readings for both Newton meters and what ever the opposite is! I think what I bought will do the job just fine.