Snapped double shear

mattrick8888

Reaction
lol i dunno fish won the jackpot with his, maybe in a few weeks
smile.gif

ntsqd

Reaction
Some of the older spindles are cast steel, not cast iron. Those can be welded to using normal proceedures.
Cast iron is a bit different gig. I would hesitate to advise anyone not familiar with the process to try it unsupervised.

Kreg, call the Rockmount rep and get him/her to give you some Jupiter rod to try. WAY, WAY better than stainless rod for cast iron. It's alloying falls in the 'high nickel' rod catagory, but it is specifically made for welding on cast iron.

There is a thread on suppliers with home pages. AFCO can be found here: http://www.afcoracing.com/

AZmiik

Reaction
Do the snouts offerd by afco and SCP press in or are they welded into a socket from the back.

Mike

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Those are castings. They are possibly steel but more likely iron. Whoever modified these kept the stock steering arm intact instead of chopping it off. The extension on top also uses the original mounting point. Doing this significantly reduces dependency and stress on the weld joints.

DANKFAB

Reaction
They had to be heat treated to be able to be sucessfully welded when they were extended. I am sure I had beat my truck pretty hard that day(Pole Line at 50mph and no slowing down) I did jump it quite a bit that morning but the jump that broke it wasn't the biggest jump of the day, but my last. Maybe you have beat up those spindles, but like he said your steering arm hasn't been hacked off and relocated, so it isn't depending on the welds to keep it there. I am sure heat treatment was applied to your kit, since your fabricator prolly knew what he was doing
smirk.gif