Snow chains

JCA

Jeff brought up a good point in another thread. I was thinking about taking the family to the snow. (I am definatly not a yahoo Jeff, ask anyone. More like misplaced redneck but that is another story) Where is a good place to buy chains for 35X12.50 BFG MT's? Whap kind of price can I expect to pay? Thanks

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I GOT MINE AT 4 WHEEL PARTS FOR 65 BUCKS AND YOU CANT RETURN THEM

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
With the bigger tires I have found that custom made is the way to go. It cists a few bucks more but is worth it, but it probably costs a lot more now that it is snowing...and usually all snow chains are not returnable.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

sweetdevil

lol, ok... once I pasted the link in my browser, it went back to it's normal size. I couldn't tell if it was a chick bending over, or if it was a hot dog or something...

Life Sucks.... get a friggin helmet

Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over

martininsocal

Now that it is snowing expect to pay upwards of 100 bucks for chains that big. I will let you in on a secret, you very rarely have to chain up from teh Lucerne side up into Big Bear. Usually only in the mornings due to ice. You may think it is a lot longer drive, but it isn't. It is also the last area to get snow, so if you are up there and don't want to buy chains, just head out that way and you should be below the snowline before chains are required.
Another thing is to call the CalTrans road line, 1-800-427-7623(roads) and find out which roads are actually requiring chains. Can save you a big hassle. If you get chains, don't forget to stick the floor jack in the back of your ride, it makes putting them on so much easier.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

jeff

I order my chains (and about 10-15 sets for company vehicles each season) through a company called Chains Required. They arrive UPS and our cost is about 40-50% off what you'd pay on the hill. I bought some PWAG square links the other day for our Ramcharger and they were $120 bucks for some 31x10.5R15's... these chains should last 2-3 full seasons before I need to rebuild the links. These are about the strongest and longest lasting chains you can buy. They SUCK and are down right terrible on pavement - the links are square and they are BIG. You feel each link as it hits the road - if you are going wheeling out in the woods and don't want to snap your chains these are for you.

Martin brings up a good point... if you can take the back side into Big Bear chains are rarely needed. Big Bear (at least the Big Bear I'm familiar with) is relatively flat. Most of the roads aren't very steep and the access is pretty good. When you get down to Arrowhead the roads just suck in the snow. Today in Arrowhead if you didn't have chains on your 4wd you weren't going anywhere.

All of the real chains (not cables) you find for trucks and SUV's will need to be cut to fit. Like Kritter said, if you have the tools and time you can build a set of custom chains. If your time is money just buy a set that fits your tires. Remember that just because it says 35x12.5R15 on the bag doesn't mean they are "custom fit" for 35's. You'll need a set of bolt cutters and if you run PEWAG like I do you'll want a torch. Do a trial fit and the first trip bring your chain tools with you. Most chains will stretch after some use and when they do you'll need to tighten them. Most of what is sold today is MADE IN CHINA and some of this stuff will wear out in a single storm. I watched a guy today DESTROY his brand new truck while he tried to get it out of a berm. Turbo YAHOO sat there and spun the tires tearing his cheap chains apart... the links broke and destroyed the bedsides on both sides and then they wrapped around the axle tearing his brake lines. It was classic YAHOO driving at its finest. Some of the MADE IN CHINA chains are pretty good but it's hard to know what's what. If you can, buy American.

If you need help finding a set of chains let me know - I've got the catalog and price sheet up at the office.

Aloha

martininsocal

Also- I have had decent luck with the chains sold at WalMart for sable chains. Just make sure you also get chain bungees, They are usually 1 size fits several, so a bungee to keep them tight on the outside works well. For big tires, I would use nothing other than Chain Chains. Big Tires really work cables hard with all the sidewall flex and usually have a very hard tread compound which also works the grippers hard. Everyone be safe on the ice and snow!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

singlehanded

try www.tirechain.com somebody make it clicky pleaaase............

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

evan_clanin

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tirechain.com>www.tirechain.com</A>

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

schafer

if you goto big bear, do yourself a favor stay off John Bull and Holcomb Creek, we ran Holcomb last weekend, we had 5 trucks, all tacos.. anyway we had quite a few near rolls due to the ice and the trail not being used for 2 months. We basically were the first ones threw on it and i gotta say anything wider than a tacoma is gonna go over, there is no room for a fullsize out there right now.... you can run Gold Mountain and do holcomb valley for some fun, but stay awayfrom anything with hill climbs and off camber, cause the snow is turning to ice pretty quickly....

Corey Schafer
tmcorey@ttora-socal.com

JasonHutter

Here are the chains on our engine 243 which is 2wd. They are made by Pewag.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Here is the engine.

Attachments

JasonHutter

This is our ladder truck.

Attachments

JasonHutter

All eight tires in the rear are studded and can be locked in as drive tires. The next picture will be of the drop chains it has also.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Here are the drop chains. When you engage them, the discs move down next to the tires and spin to throw the chains under the tires.

Attachments

evan_clanin

looks like u need to get paul under there to clean the under carrage

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

martininsocal

evan- Paul is not a "boot", so that won't work. Pecking orders and all, "boots" gett o earn respect by doing those jobs like everyoen else did, and not whine about it. There are 2 things that are constants in the fire service, if everyone bags on you and picks on you, they love you, and if you whine, no one picks on you or bags on you.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

evan_clanin

haha, not to sound like a chump or ne thing, but i know the order i worked at the same department as paul, my dads a cali state fire safety officer, ive done my dues of scubbin engines man, and humpin hose, haha i belive it was man dad that acctualy was there in one of pauls lil misshaps. not to step on any toes, or ne thing just a lil joke man!!!!

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?