So as we are approaching 25 years...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I always do. And I like the grass roots sport. I think it is absolutely just a bunch of hobbyists with a few folks making their own teams seem professional, but on their own dime. But I do think that the race for bigger faster larger money spending is making it harder for grass roots folks to get involved because all they see is high dollar TTs for exposure and it turns them off, feeling they could never afford it. But I just wonder what others feel about the great experiment that was suppose to take the sport 'mainstream' with Coke, Budweiser, Taco Bell, etc... fighting over giving cash to all the racers. One of the reasons I wonder is because, in the 1970s, those were all sponsors of race teams and many more. From JD Brand to Jack in the Box to McDonalds to the Laredos, etc... When the sport was more attainable by the masses, the sponsors were there. Wondering if stepping back might bring that back?

Zac Reish

Reaction
I don’t think it would with the technology and what people are paying attention to these days of Facebook insta twitter. I agree with you it is intimidating. I don’t believe it will ever be like that again and I don’t see a way for it to be.

CFreeLV

Reaction
I wonder had Toyota/PPI continued on with their program if things would be any different today?

trailready

ADVERTISER
Reaction
I'm trying to figure out where the decline is. Compared to the 90's, there are more sanctioning bodies, more races, about 75 semi regular TT's, way bigger race purses, way more corporate contingency $$, more fans, and arguably enough energy drink $$ to offset the manufacture $$ of the 90's.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I don't think you grasp how big it was in the 70s and 80. 400 car races were normal, not the Biggest Largest, Hugest race ever.

Fourstroker

Reaction
I don't think you grasp how big it was in the 70s and 80. 400 car races were normal, not the Biggest Largest, Hugest race ever.
Agreed. I remember one year at the Mint my dads team was number 400 something. There were cars coming through SF before he even got off the line....on a true 100 mile track

9rocky

Reaction

75 1600 cars at the Parker 400. Today's car counts pale in comparison.

TRichards

Reaction
I don't think its less just different now. UTV's have effectively reduced the counts of the entry level classes. Less 1/2 1600, 5-1600, class 9 and 7s where there used to be many now are only a few per class.

isdtbower

Reaction
Arguably the least expensive racing is Motorcycles. In the 70's, desert and enduro race starts were 1500+. Then the land use issues made it tough for those sportsman racing to enjoy a close-in weekend out with the family or like-minded friends. Bike sales dwindled and the base is now smaller and tougher to grow from.
You start with a sense for adventure. Get good at it. And think that they can run with the hero's. But now that core group seems smaller and the buddy groups further between. I do believe offroad recreation is coming back....and a lot of it UTV driven. Just different....Maybe more family oriented than in the 70's ??

Bro_Gill

Reaction
"Maybe more family oriented than in the 70's ?? "

Even the 'Professional' teams in the 1970s were all family based. Kids were allowed in the PITS!

Josh 8

Reaction
Yeah back then the hat bills had a curve to them and the music wasn’t jive.

Robert Encinas

Reaction
I will say this for Trophy Trucks, other than electronics , shock technology and tire improvements , they are one class that really has not changed since its inception. I had a conversation with a guy the other day and he said class 1 hasn't changed , i told him class 1 used to be type 4 VW engines until the McMillians introduced Porche engines . A modified type 4 bus box was the transaxle of choice until Hewland came along followed by many others. No longer VW based suspension. I cant think of any class since i've been involved with desert racing (1987) that has gone that long without a signifigant change.

ThatSpaceMexican

Reaction
To me it looked like it kind of all fell off in the mid 2000's. Almost in tandem with the Housing crisis of the early 2010s. Off Road racing really is all for the love of racing and definitely not monetary. All the big boys have different jobs to pay for this rather expensive hobby. Honestly the one who made money was Ivan Stewart (and only cause Toyota like his name recognition in motorsports. be it off road, rally, or Japanese super GT). Someone has got to innovate and experiment with the big classes to attract more attention from big money sponsor and perhaps even factory backing. We've seen ford dabble with it with the raptor, and they had (or maybe still have) a partnership with anyone running an ecoboost motor (ICR races ford because of that). But of course experimentation costs money and with there almost always being a deficit in returns, who the hell wants to try?

Maybe we should try bringing desert vehicles into "unnatural" environments. Image trophy trucks or Pro-2 competing in drift car challenges. Or going on road courses like how the protrucks did that one time at Laguna Seca. Maybe even in an on road endurance event like the Rolex enduro series, just as an exhibition event. Just for fun. I loved seeing the redbull forzen rush. for those who would like an image here. courtesy of YasidDESIGNS (go check him out if you want to see cars from a Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell future)
red-bull-s-900-hp-trophy-truck-gets-lowered-to-the-ground-in-this-brutal-render-115311_1.jpg

Bricoop

Reaction
Maybe we should try bringing desert vehicles into "unnatural" environments. Image trophy trucks or Pro-2 competing in drift car challenges. Or going on road courses like how the protrucks did that one time at Laguna Seca. Maybe even in an on road endurance event like the Rolex enduro series, just as an exhibition event. Just for fun. I loved seeing the redbull forzen rush. for those who would like an image here. courtesy of YasidDESIGNS (go check him out if you want to see cars from a Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell future)

You mean like this?
1537546911046.png

Kyle D

Reaction
yeah. just more of the same. a little more variety is all that's needed. maybe even let prerunners and 1400 trucks do that.

Is that so we could spend an hour watching a splatted truck get cleaned up every time the tires left a ramp? That doesn’t sound fun. I think we’re on the right track with desert trucks racing in the desert since that’s what they’re really built for and I for one can say I don’t enjoy watching a TT, 1450, ______ fill in the blank, lumber around a short course. BAP has a very small section of short course that everyone starts off on. The brake pedal gets way more use than the go pedal. It’s just not what they’re for and that’s ok.

ThatSpaceMexican

Reaction
Is that so we could spend an hour watching a splatted truck get cleaned up every time the tires left a ramp? That doesn’t sound fun. I think we’re on the right track with desert trucks racing in the desert since that’s what they’re really built for and I for one can say I don’t enjoy watching a TT, 1450, ______ fill in the blank, lumber around a short course. BAP has a very small section of short course that everyone starts off on. The brake pedal gets way more use than the go pedal. It’s just not what they’re for and that’s ok.
And thats fine. We can all enjoy different things. But for the sport to grow we have to consider what has been shown to be popular. Stadium supertrucks isnt a some little phenomena. At least not when they're running the same tracks as formula 1 street courses and the aussie v8 supercars. If it isn't already done, perhaps they could even be used as openers for other sports. Like how large bands will invite smaller ones as openers as concerts. We can't ignore how many views they get on television and online. Or the success of any of the recoil videos when really only the first one was exclusively off road. or the Hoonigan channel with 2 million subscribers and bringing in over 500,000 views on their build breakdowns of desert trucks. and the're just thrashing them around a warehouse loading dock. . Exposure is key to keeping a sport afloat. Its like when Bryce Menzies and Red Bull set the vehicle jump record in new mexico. What did that have to do with short course racing? hardly anything. But it was damn cool to see, and half a million people thought so too. That and the competitors in those events seem to have fun.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Ah, I disagree. I think Robbie was hoping for something more like the old MTEG stadium series, which really was great. Running on street courses that are set up for street racing cars then throwing some metal ramps up to add air sis not as exciting as racing on the dirt was with the Stadium series. It is a side show that folks who come to watch the other race cars see when waiting for a main event. They are not the main event. In MTEG, they absolutely were.